The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ42
well you got into uni so you cant ask for much more :biggrin:

i wish when they scanned our test papers to mark them they also uploaded them for us to see privately on their website or something (although I guess they need to make money through people buying physical paper copies to review) because I got <90 in FP3 and S3, both exams I thought went pretty good, but i dont wanna spend money to see them you know

If I gap year Ill defo try for camb yea, I mean I dont have much to lose really. Imperial also looks nice, I like the idea of living in London despite the prices. Haven't read the course structure of other unis yet but have lots bookmarked. Still trying to decide whether to go for a gap year or not first

Spoiler

Yeah I know what you mean, been fighting off the temptation to get some of my modules checked again, what made you want to switch to Comp sci joint honours? Also what uni do you hold an offer for now?

Watch out for D1/2 bigger killer than M4/5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Yeah I know what you mean, been fighting off the temptation to get some of my modules checked again, what made you want to switch to Comp sci joint honours? Also what uni do you hold an offer for now?

Watch out for D1/2 bigger killer than M4/5

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kept looking at my exam sheet hoping the mark would somehow change :laugh: I couldnt believe how low S3 was (74)

two things;

Realistically speaking I dont think im top tier at maths and so I'd probably be forced into finance rather than get to work at a university in a maths department, and i reaaalllly dont want to go into finance. (accounting work experience was a bad week)

Also this summer I've spent a lot of time playing games and even started to make my own game (a little *****y 2d platformer) and so I think that I love to do maths when I am being acedemic/learning and I love being on the computer playing games etc in my leisure time, so why not study some maths and some computer science, during AS Computing I loved the coding part of the course so if i end up as a computer programmer or something then I'd be content.

I have an offer for Bath atm, I emailed them about swapping but idk if itll be possible since CS is very popular and spaces are probably full

Yea I've heard they are balls :rofl: but it would be nice to have the three maths alevels sitting side by side on application forms etc :tongue:
Original post by DylanJ42
I kept looking at my exam sheet hoping the mark would somehow change :laugh: I couldnt believe how low S3 was (74)

two things;

Realistically speaking I dont think im top tier at maths and so I'd probably be forced into finance rather than get to work at a university in a maths department, and i reaaalllly dont want to go into finance. (accounting work experience was a bad week)

Also this summer I've spent a lot of time playing games and even started to make my own game (a little *****y 2d platformer) and so I think that I love to do maths when I am being acedemic/learning and I love being on the computer playing games etc in my leisure time, so why not study some maths and some computer science, during AS Computing I loved the coding part of the course so if i end up as a computer programmer or something then I'd be content.

I have an offer for Bath atm, I emailed them about swapping but idk if itll be possible since CS is very popular and spaces are probably full

Yea I've heard they are balls :rofl: but it would be nice to have the three maths alevels sitting side by side on application forms etc :tongue:

Was planning on going the masters route then see how I feel about my maths ability from there, but I'm likely to go the finance route for at least a little while. Maybe Software Engineer if I could get into it/enjoy it enough.

I have a friend who's going Bath actually because he missed his STEP offer by 2 marks :/ good luck with getting on Baths Course/ re applying btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Was planning on going the masters route then see how I feel about my maths ability from there, but I'm likely to go the finance route for at least a little while. Maybe Software Engineer if I could get into it/enjoy it enough.

I have a friend who's going Bath actually because he missed his STEP offer by 2 marks :/ good luck with getting on Baths Course/ re applying btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea thats not a bad idea either, with finance you can make so much money but i guess it's not for everyone

ah he was so close too :frown: thanks a lot, have fun at KCL :biggrin:
Reply 24
please stop I keep checking this thread expecting to get advice : I
Reply 25
I don't think I can help much with the maths side, but as for general studies. Oxbridge, or any Russell Group universities for that matter, do not give a flying **** about it, I dare say they they kinda frown upon it, as you're focusing some of your time and energy on an A-level that will not sway or contribute anything to their decision to offer you a place.

Therefore, is there anyway for you to drop it for year 13, or is it compulsory for your college, because I can assure you Oxbridge will not be impressed or concerned at all about it. When they give you an offer eg A*AA, they will exclude general studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending