The Student Room Group

It's a disgrace that Britain is not welcoming the Calais refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CHARLIEBSS
I couldn't agree more than it is a disgrace. The problem with the country is we are letting a few hundred thousand racists in the North control us, like when they dragged us out of Europe. Britain has a long history of accepting people from war torn countries and the fact that we are turning are backs on these refugees will be judged very badly by future generations. Britain does not need less immigration, we need MORE immigration. Quite frankly people need to drop this fear of Muslims and unite around a fear of; this nasty, ideologically right wing government, the British right and UKIP voters (I know that's the same as the British right but they just make me so angry)

history is going to bury you - the idea that not allowing everybody into a tiny overcrowded country is "racist" is approaching a ridicule-inspiring status - even the cultural marxists are beginning to see that
Original post by sleepysnooze
I'll ask you again, then:
what is the difference between the calais "refugees" any *any* other refugees in terms of policy?

The difference is they are suffering from a conflict that we are indirectly responsible for, and actively failing to resolve.
Original post by alevelstresss
The difference is they are suffering from a conflict that we are indirectly responsible for, and actively failing to resolve.

are you really suggesting that these people are all from syria?
plus - nobody said they were responsible for conflicts. that's not the criterion to let people into an overcrowded country that currently does not want excessive immigration rates. maybe all the past governments should have thought through their immigration policies before destroying their reputation when it comes to this issue.
they can go to the other side of the world if they're looking for asylum. why does it have to be europe? why not china?
Reply 103
Original post by JRKinder
Britain has a stronger economy than Scandinavia, which may allure them to Britain both for claiming benefits or starting a business or whatever. I was attempting to be a bit humorous in the first post, but my point not-withstanding, what's stopping them from doing that in France? Sure, they may prefer Britain, but we have no obligation to take them from a safe, prosperous European neighbour (other than maybe to help France, we have no obligation to the refugees themselves).

That's because they don't have to fully integrate here in the UK whereas in other European countries they will be expected to fully integrate and speak the language. They are very entitled people though if I was them I'd go to other European countries such as Sweden, Norway or Germany where I'd be given a fully furnished house they must be so stupid and entitled to stay in Calais in those conditions just to get to the UK.
are you really suggesting that these people are all from syria?
plus - nobody said they were responsible for conflicts. that's not the criterion to let people into an overcrowded country that currently does not want excessive immigration rates. maybe all the past governments should have thought through their immigration policies before destroying their reputation when it comes to this issue.
they can go to the other side of the world if they're looking for asylum. why does it have to be europe? why not china?

The general conflict and instability in the Middle East is as a result of our foreign policy blunders.

And its happening to Europe because its closer. Do you seriously think these people would trek all the way to China, across and through the Himalayas and through further conflict zones?
The general conflict and instability in the Middle East is as a result of our foreign policy blunders.

Oh yes, as it's always our fault, right?

It's the same attitude as, "Don't upset Muslims, you'll turn them into terrorists", which frankly tells me enough about Islam and Muslims, that you upset them, they'll want to blow you up.

Iraq - we get involved, things go wrong and its our fault.

Syria, we don't get involved, things go wrong and it's our fault too right?
Original post by Jee1
That's because they don't have to fully integrate here in the UK whereas in other European countries they will be expected to fully integrate and speak the language. They are very entitled people though if I was them I'd go to other European countries such as Sweden, Norway or Germany where I'd be given a fully furnished house they must be so stupid and entitled to stay in Calais in those conditions just to get to the UK.

And they wouldn't get a fully furnished house over here, and whatever else they "need"?? There's an ulterior motive with these migrants.
Original post by MeYou2Night
Oh yes, as it's always our fault, right?

It's the same attitude as, "Don't upset Muslims, you'll turn them into terrorists", which frankly tells me enough about Islam and Muslims, that you upset them, they'll want to blow you up.

Iraq - we get involved, things go wrong and its our fault.

Syria, we don't get involved, things go wrong and it's our fault too right?

except it is our fault, read summaries of the Chilcot inquiry
Original post by Zargabaath
Like it or not, for better or for worse, as un-PC as it is people are afraid of the further influx of Islamic culture.
I doubt the reaction would be similar if it was the Japanese who were refugees for example

The Japanese kinda gave up suicide attacks 70 years ago, nor is Japan full of people who want to kill us. I would also be concerned if the Japanese were fleeing to the UK...
Original post by 999tigger
Well go away and read the 51 convention and when you understand how refugee and asylum law works then come back with something decent to say.

So when are you going to take the government to court and force them to let in all the economic migrants and terrorists?
Reply 110
Original post by Danny the Geezer
And they wouldn't get a fully furnished house over here, and whatever else they "need"?? There's an ulterior motive with these migrants.

Of course, they won't get a easy ride not in this small Island
except it is our fault, read summaries of the Chilcot inquiry

It very well been with Iraq but guess what? We did nothing in Syria and is still screwed. That part of the world doesn't need us to screw itself up, it can manage that on its own.

The "it's always our fault" rhetoric, is still the same attitude as "don't criticise or upset Muslims, they'll turn into terrorists". Which as I said, says enough about what Islam really is to me.

And what about the hundreds of thousands of migrants coming from sub-saharan Africa? What's their excuse?

I will agree that Western foreign policy is largely to blame for the current troubles in the Middle East, and many of those fleeing that region will likely harbour deep resentment towards the West for it. All the more reason NOT to let them into our countries. A more sensible solution for the refugees would be to use an uninhabited island somewhere in the Med, fill it the neccessary facilities, provisions and intern all of them there until the situation becomes more stable in their own countries, upon which they can be sent home. The current policy of just letting them wander across Europe unchecked is a recipe for disaster.

oh right, so a government which had the support of basically nobody invaded a country (iraq) and now we all have to just accept every single future consequence of that war which nobody agreed with? does that mean that france still owe us reparations and repayments from 1066? why not?

And its happening to Europe because its closer. Do you seriously think these people would trek all the way to China, across and through the Himalayas and through further conflict zones?

oh so you're saying that people from afghanistan, for instance, shouldn't go to europe instead of china?
also, if this was about which place was "closer", they'd all be in turkey or greece, wouldn't they. not calais. :| even ****ing romania would be more logical than the UK with this in mind.
Original post by Wōden
And what about the hundreds of thousands of migrants coming from sub-saharan Africa? What's their excuse?

I will agree that Western foreign policy is largely to blame for the current troubles in the Middle East, and many of those fleeing that region will likely harbour deep resentment towards the West for it. All the more reason NOT to let them into our countries. A more sensible solution for the refugees would be to use an uninhabited island somewhere in the Med, fill it the neccessary facilities, provisions and intern all of them there until the situation becomes more stable in their own countries, upon which they can be sent home. The current policy of just letting them wander across Europe unchecked is a recipe for disaster.

These people are coming across the sea into Europe, it would be a huge logistical task to not only find islands capable of housing 1.6 million people, but also transporting them there. And arguably letting them establish their own 'backwards culture' islands would be even more disastrous.
We can't shove the problem to somewhere-istan and pray it doesn't affect us.
oh right, so a government which had the support of basically nobody invaded a country (iraq) and now we all have to just accept every single future consequence of that war which nobody agreed with? does that mean that france still owe us reparations and repayments from 1066? why not?

oh so you're saying that people from afghanistan, for instance, shouldn't go to europe instead of china?
also, if this was about which place was "closer", they'd all be in turkey or greece, wouldn't they. not calais. :| even ****ing romania would be more logical than the UK with this in mind.

Hahaha here we go again with the "OH SO YOU MEAN *inserts blatantly wrong interpretation*"

You are too predictable
Original post by Josb
And they are raped by their fellow "refugees".

Don't be so racislist and so Islampopophobic. That's just their Islamic culture and we have to respect that.
Hahaha here we go again with the "OH SO YOU MEAN *inserts blatantly wrong interpretation*"

You are too predictable

lol it's like you're accusing me of being consistent
it's like you're telling the law of gravity "oh so a rock will fall off a cliff? OH SO I GUESS THAT MEANS THAT THE MOON WILL REVOLVE AROUND THE EARTH? LMAO" err yes actually, that's gravity being "consistent" with its logic. gravity applies itself logically and hence gravity affects all matter, not just rocks...:/ hence, I'm talking about all immigrants, and all the consequences of wars.
(edited 7 years ago)
The 'refugees' in Calais could have a welcome home in France or another European country (not UK) If they were really so desperate for a safe home they would accept anything and not have their hearts heart set on the UK for benefits
These people are coming across the sea into Europe, it would be a huge logistical task to not only find islands capable of housing 1.6 million people, but also transporting them there. And arguably letting them establish their own 'backwards culture' islands would be even more disastrous.
We can't shove the problem to somewhere-istan and pray it doesn't affect us.

Haven't the UN confirmed that the vast majority of "refugees" in Calais aren't from Syria? Also, I don't really think there are many children. The majority are just using the crisis to gain a better life for themselves. There are very few actual refugees.

Quick Reply

Latest