The Student Room Group

BCD at AS now what?

I really want to study politics and international relations at university, I was a few marks short of an A in politics and got a C and D in my other subjects. I've done loads of extra curricular related to politics and think i will have a relatively pretty personal statement.
Does anyone know if i could get into BBB universities? like Kent or Brunnel. I have back up with BBC or CCC can't find one with BCC any help would be great!
If you don't feel as if you could get into those universities, try apply and see if you get offers. If you don't get any, work your ass off in year 13 and boost up your grades to apply next year instead. You'll have confirmed grades and unis will find it easier to hand an offer.

You'll have to have a very good personal statement and a good reference + nice set of predicted grades to push for offers this year.
This is my second year of AS levels, in 2015 I got DEEE and decided to retake and got ACDD this year which is definitely an improvement. I am hoping that with predicted grades this will go to at least ABC as the C was in politics and will definitely be resitting. I've had the same problem and I'm hoping that entrance requirements of BBB will be satisfied with ABC as the A is maths and the main required subject for the course I want to do.
If the C and or D is out of character ask for your predicted grade to be put up and either address it in your personal statement or even better in your reference and this will hopefully give them some basis on accepting you. Another thing to do is see if the course you want to apply for is in clearing this year because they may be more lenient on the entrance requirements due to less applications for next year.
Original post by laurengoldson
This is my second year of AS levels, in 2015 I got DEEE and decided to retake and got ACDD this year which is definitely an improvement. I am hoping that with predicted grades this will go to at least ABC as the C was in politics and will definitely be resitting. I've had the same problem and I'm hoping that entrance requirements of BBB will be satisfied with ABC as the A is maths and the main required subject for the course I want to do.
If the C and or D is out of character ask for your predicted grade to be put up and either address it in your personal statement or even better in your reference and this will hopefully give them some basis on accepting you. Another thing to do is see if the course you want to apply for is in clearing this year because they may be more lenient on the entrance requirements due to less applications for next year.

I am hoping the D grade can be explained in my references from my teacher, that was in economics and we were only taught for the last 6 months. My teacher knows i put in a lot of work to get there particularly as I'd never studied economics before and I am hoping my predicted will be better if i have a full year to push the grade up...

I really didn't want to retake though.
Reply 4
Original post by ceri.johnson99
I really want to study politics and international relations at university, I was a few marks short of an A in politics and got a C and D in my other subjects. I've done loads of extra curricular related to politics and think i will have a relatively pretty personal statement.
Does anyone know if i could get into BBB universities? like Kent or Brunnel. I have back up with BBC or CCC can't find one with BCC any help would be great!

I also got BCD at AS and I applied late with an average personal statement; I got offers from some of the good unis (Nottingham and Sheffield). I ended up getting BDE at A2 so you definitely do need to buckle down since A2's are harder than AS's. Best of luck with whatever you do! :smile:
Original post by the_malis
If you don't feel as if you could get into those universities, try apply and see if you get offers. If you don't get any, work your ass off in year 13 and boost up your grades to apply next year instead. You'll have confirmed grades and unis will find it easier to hand an offer.

You'll have to have a very good personal statement and a good reference + nice set of predicted grades to push for offers this year.

I think i could get nice predicted given the teachers know the situation I've had all year and i figured if i am honest in my personal statement about it and acknowledge that I worked hard to push it further they would still consider me...
I think i could get nice predicted given the teachers know the situation I've had all year and i figured if i am honest in my personal statement about it and acknowledge that I worked hard to push it further they would still consider me...

I've always been told to show in your personal statement how passionate you are about studying the subject at uni. Try it and as long as you show passion they may consider you more.
i got the sa me
Start your BTECs
Original post by Ash8991
I also got BCD at AS and I applied late with an average personal statement; I got offers from some of the good unis (Nottingham and Sheffield). I ended up getting BDE at A2 so you definitely do need to buckle down since A2's are harder than AS's. Best of luck with whatever you do! :smile:

Did you go through clearing then? What Uni and course will you be doing now since you missed on your offers?
Original post by MedioCentro97
Did you go through clearing then? What Uni and course will you be doing now since you missed on your offers?
Hi, I've decided not to go to Uni via clearing since I personally believe that I can do a lot better than BDE (I did badly because of family issues which pulled me away from revision). Also, I just don't think it's worth going to a subpar Uni just to end up getting £40k in debt with a degree that most employers may not accept. I was hoping to go and study Biochemistry. Hopefully, I can turn my BDE into ABB and go off to Uni next year!
Original post by Ash8991
Hi, I've decided not to go to Uni via clearing since I personally believe that I can do a lot better than BDE (I did badly because of family issues which pulled me away from revision). Also, I just don't think it's worth going to a subpar Uni just to end up getting £40k in debt with a degree that most employers may not accept. I was hoping to go and study Biochemistry. Hopefully, I can turn my BDE into ABB and go off to Uni next year!

Ah okay, if you feel like you can do much better then fair enough. It might be too late now but with those grades you could have possibly done a foundation year at a decent/good (or great if you're lucky) uni then pass easily if you work hard enough, to start biochemistry year one at a much better uni. Good luck anyway.

If I were you I'd read some success story threads here on TSR to motivate you
Sorry, I was being a dick. Chances are that your retakes in year 13 will go much better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hopefuldentist10
M8 you're doing fking politics its not like you had a future anyway

Well I know a lot of people who have done this degree and have had great careers... can't blame a girl for trying and doing something I enjoy
Reply 15

I got those exact grades. Literally never give up dude. I am going to Kent with ABB
Reply 16

Those grades aren't amazing, but they aren't that bad. You can still change them if you do really well in your A2.

Some people in my sixth form didnt even get BCD at AS, but managed to get into Kent and Brunnel.

I got BCDE at AS level but got offers back for courses asking for AAA

Quick Reply

Latest