The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesj477
Hey guys, so I'm 16 atm, and I'll be starting to learn to drive when I'm 17. The thing is that I have never actually driven a car before, the closest I have got is steering on my dads lap lol. I'm away on holiday for pretty much the rest of the summer, and I'm 17 in september, so most likely the first time I will ever sit in a car will be on my first driving lesson. Should I learn a bit with my dad before and delay my lessons, or is this a normal situation to be in? Also what happens in the first few lessons, because I think I will faint if I have to start driving straight away lol.

I was in the same position, I had never sat in the drivers seat before my first lesson.
My instructor was cool though, he said he prefers it so nobody has had time to teach me any bad habits
Reply 521
How are everyone's lessons going? I'm still out of lessons atm and just been helping my mum with her theory practice. Her test is on 5th Sept. Trying to help her with HP is proving to be a little...challenging :laugh: she either only clicks on the video once but completely misses the hazard or she clicks too much the video is classed as a fail :facepalm: :laugh:
Original post by Spock's Socks
So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another :colondollar:

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

First it was finding the right instructor
Then I kept going back to uni so my lessons were really fragmented
Actual maneuvers:
Reverse parking into a bay- can't do this to save my life
Actually straightening my car when I'm parking into a bay
Parking of any kind
Mirrors
How are everyone's lessons going? I'm still out of lessons atm and just been helping my mum with her theory practice. Her test is on 5th Sept. Trying to help her with HP is proving to be a little...challenging :laugh: she either only clicks on the video once but completely misses the hazard or she clicks too much the video is classed as a fail :facepalm: :laugh:

Not too bad tbh, had my first lesson Monday just gone since failing my first test, got my next lesson tomorrow :redface: my next test is early next month :biggrin:! Aww bless her, hopefully she'll realise she needs to click more than once/not click so much that she fails :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 524
Original post by ohhello92x
Not too bad tbh, had my first lesson Monday just gone since failing my first test, got my next lesson tomorrow :redface: my next test is early next month :biggrin:! Aww bless her, hopefully she'll realise she needs to click more than once/not click so much that she fails :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you feeling about your next test? I have every faith in you that'll pass second time around :smile:
Got my test this week- haven't had a lesson in a month or so due to me and instructor both having long holidays. I'm having a few lessons before, just want to practice the maneuvers again, and just use mirrors every time and be confident!
Reply 526
Original post by richpanda
Got my test this week- haven't had a lesson in a month or so due to me and instructor both having long holidays. I'm having a few lessons before, just want to practice the maneuvers again, and just use mirrors every time and be confident!

Best of luck with your test! :h: be sure to let us know how you get on :smile:
Best of luck with your test! :h: be sure to let us know how you get on :smile:

Currently, I'd rate my pass chance at about 45%. This may change tomorrow when I get back in the car and get a feel for it again:smile: and this is at a notoriously tricky test centre
How are you feeling about your next test? I have every faith in you that'll pass second time around :smile:

Honestly, I feel better prepared in the sense that I know what to expect in the test, and that I can get some more practice in with the lessons too :redface: awww thank you :biggrin: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Currently, I'd rate my pass chance at about 45%. This may change tomorrow when I get back in the car and get a feel for it again:smile: and this is at a notoriously tricky test centre

Aw. Oh really, tricky as in the examiners are harsh or just the route or where the test centre is?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Aw. Oh really, tricky as in the examiners are harsh or just the route or where the test centre is?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's in a city which has a mixture of complicated junctions/roundabouts, and small, tight roads. I think the examiners are fine.
good luck :tongue:

Good luck!
It's in a city which has a mixture of complicated junctions/roundabouts, and small, tight roads. I think the examiners are fine.

Ah fair enough:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
About to have my 5th test this week -__- all my tests I've failed on a roundabout/approaching a roundabout for different things
Still struggle with the bay park maneuver though
Reply 536
Original post by tcameron
About to have my 5th test this week -__- all my tests I've failed on a roundabout/approaching a roundabout for different things
Still struggle with the bay park maneuver though

Good luck with your test :smile: I'm ok with bay parking. It's the turn in the road I can't do whatsoever. Couldn't do it if my life depended on it :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it difficult to judge where the front of my car is when turning into a parking space. Also I really can't do parallel parking.

I've had a license for over 2 years now. :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm really bad at approaching tight spaces with oncoming traffic, not realising I've got to stop for the car coming towards me to safely get out of the way...my instructor quickly brakes for me all the time :facepalm2:

I feel like Im going to be such a bad driver (if I pass that is) :/
I feel like an idiot learning to drive. I've had over 50 lessons now and I still get anxious about driving. I started crying during my lesson yesterday because I was so stressed. The thing is, I can normally learn to do new things fairly quickly, but with driving it is completely different. I get so frustrated, and I've got my practical in September but I think I will cancel it and get my money back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending