The Student Room Group

Struggling as Bank HCA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deviant182
It amused me somewhat seeing this.
There is no specific reality as was said in previous posts you cannot compare fields of nursing etc.
However, I do learning disability nursing and I'm about to head into final year.
I've also worked as a support worker etc for years prior to commencing my course.
I've been threatened with a knife, had chairs thrown at me, been spat at, scratched, kicked, bitten, had my hair pulled, been hit and punched, I've had various objects thrown at me, the list goes on.

In different fields you're likely to encounter different patients with different needs and different abilities etc.
Nursing by no means is easy. However, you go in to the field that interests you and that you have a passion for.
Don't try and use the abuse you may face (and let's face it, it is abuse) as trying to say your job is tougher or its reality etc.
It's just something that may or may not happen. You're working with people. People can be unpredictable and can be capable of many different actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to be a pediatric nurse, so hopefully, none of that will happen to me.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You only get to pick your shifts if you are on the bank. Otherwise you have to do rotation - i.e. nights and weekends. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live. The pay in no way reflects that.

I don't think i know what i am setting myself in for then.
Original post by Blackstarr

There are children with learning disabilities that will need nursing care that may be treated by children's nurses.
So please remember that and direct your care accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately working in paeds doesn't mean this won't happen... I've had children hit me, attempt to bite me and spit at me. I'm sure some older children and teenagers also swear.

Things like this still happen in paeds, just far far less than in some adult areas.
Original post by PaediatricStN
Unfortunately working in paeds doesn't mean this won't happen... I've had children hit me, attempt to bite me and spit at me. I'm sure some older children and teenagers also swear.

Things like this still happen in paeds, just far far less than in some adult areas.

Wow, i don't think i know hat i am getting myself into then.

How did you cope through all this?

Also as a child nurse, do you feed children and change their nappies?

Wow, i don't think i know what i am getting myself into then?

How did you cope with all this?

Also, as child nurse, do you feed children and change their nappies?
Also, i have heard that its better to do Adult instead of child as you get the best of both worlds
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow, i don't think i know what i am getting myself into then?

How did you cope with all this?

Also, as child nurse, do you feed children and change their nappies?

If you're not sure what you are entering into then I would strongly suggest doing some in depth research of the career before applying. Nursing isn't one of those degrees you can study half-heartedly or without complete dedication.

Coping mechanisms will vary from nurse to nurse. For me much of it depends on why they are hitting/kicking/scratching me. If they have a learning disability or cerebal palsy etc or having an invasive/painful procedure then I have a lot of patience for this. If it was behavioural and down to parenting (To clarify, this does not include autism) then it can be frustrating and the parents may have to be spoken to by the nurse in charge. But you have to be resilient to it and just get on - and know that for a lot of children they need the treatment or procedure in order to get completely better or return to whatever a normal health state is for them.

This seems odd but trust me here. I'm going to answer your last question, with a question... With the understanding you have now, and no further research, what do you think a children's nurse does?
Reply 28
Wow, i don't think i know hat i am getting myself into then.

How did you cope through all this?

Also as a child nurse, do you feed children and change their nappies?

Argghh please don't go into nursing if you clearly haven't an idea. I know I come across as rude but really I'm not. Just realistic. It's so hard for everyone when a someone comes through and has this ridiculous idea of what a nurse is. Get yourself some work experience. No matter what field of nursing ITS ALL HARD. Peads for a small example...you will come across unstable parents, children, abused children....it's not a walk in the park because it's peads and no it's not all changing nappies and feeding either

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're not sure what you are entering into then I would strongly suggest doing some in depth research of the career before applying. Nursing isn't one of those degrees you can study half-heartedly or without complete dedication.

Coping mechanisms will vary from nurse to nurse. For me much of it depends on why they are hitting/kicking/scratching me. If they have a learning disability or cerebal palsy etc or having an invasive/painful procedure then I have a lot of patience for this. If it was behavioural and down to parenting (To clarify, this does not include autism) then it can be frustrating and the parents may have to be spoken to by the nurse in charge. But you have to be resilient to it and just get on - and know that for a lot of children they need the treatment or procedure in order to get completely better or return to whatever a normal health state is for them.

This seems odd but trust me here. I'm going to answer your last question, with a question... With the understanding you have now, and no further research, what do you think a children's nurse does?

With my understanding and no further research, i think child nurses give children medication, check their blood pressure, heart rate, take care of their wounds, play with them if need be and feed them if necessary.

I do want to be a nurse, i am 99.9% sure of that simply because i don't see myself doing any other thing but practical stuff and making a difference in the life of others.

I know it's a demanding course and all that.

I just don't know which branch, either child or adult. However, i am more inclined to child as i have worked with children before and they are just fun to be around, most of the anyway.
Original post by wbnurse
Argghh please don't go into nursing if you clearly haven't an idea. I know I come across as rude but really I'm not. Just realistic. It's so hard for everyone when a someone comes through and has this ridiculous idea of what a nurse is. Get yourself some work experience. No matter what field of nursing ITS ALL HARD. Peads for a small example...you will come across unstable parents, children, abused children....it's not a walk in the park because it's peads and no it's not all changing nappies and feeding either

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have some work experience for child nursing behind me and i am almost certain(99.9% sure) that is the career i want to go into because i don't see myself doing any other thing than making a positive difference, especially in the little ones.

I know child nurses not only care for children mediccaly but also emotionally and physically( feeding and nappy changing)
With my understanding and no further research, i think child nurses give children medication, check their blood pressure, heart rate, take care of their wounds, play with them if need be and feed them if necessary.

I do want to be a nurse, i am 99.9% sure of that simply because i don't see myself doing any other thing but practical stuff and making a difference in the life of others.

I know it's a demanding course and all that.

I just don't know which branch, either child or adult. However, i am more inclined to child as i have worked with children before and they are just fun to be around, most of the anyway.

Try and research more, there is a lot more to it than that like medication; as a nurse you need to have an understanding of medications used what they are for, route of administration, drug calculations, etc

Checking blood pressures, heart rate, temperature etc. What would you do if a child suddenly was to become very ill, emergency situations, what could you do to help them
understanding about common rates of b/p, temperatures, heart rate for different age groups

Children's parents/ guardians; keeping them informed as well as the children, spotting signs of abuse referring patients to multi- disciplinary teams

Assessments- feeding assessments, wound assessments/ dressings observations, discharge planning, social care input, risk assessments, etc.

Clinical procedures

And most importantly (I think) supporting children and family being compassionate, being an advocate. I would imagine it to be quite emotional particularly when children are very unwell, looking after palliative children, looking after children when their parents/ guardian are not around reassuring them, trying to communicate effectively and building up trust with children.

The list could go on and on, I'm sure there's a lot more paediatric nurses do too. I'm an adult student nurse so I don't know a lot about children's nursing
Not to put you off, you'll learn all of it as you go through your training
Nursing is tough but I think the most rewarding job there is, being able to help somebody,knowing that you did your best for them is why most nurses I know do what they do.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
And I rest my case - modern nurses are too sensitive - it is a tough world out there - you are a paediatric nurse and don't deal with adult issues.

If you feel so strongly report my post - I am open to comments as always*

PaedStN doesn;t need to report it, i have instead

you are just demonstrating how little you actually know, alternatively you are demonstrating that you have a utterly biased view of the complexity of paediatric practice.
lots of people expounding all sortso f expert opinion without the slightest clue of the realties of clinicla practice I see.

Paeds practice adds an extra layer of complexity to the same issues with a competent adult / fraser competent young person ... as does practice in any situation where the patient lacks capacity and an attorney / deputy for health is in place.
Original post by wbnurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's really no need to go"Arrgggh" like that if someone doesn't have a full understanding of what nursing entails. A massive part of this thread is to help and inform people about nursing - it should be a safe space where people can come with any question they have and not feel embarrassed about it.

And if you know you are coming across rude, but not intending to be so, why not adjust the way your post is written?
Reply 35
There's really no need to go"Arrgggh" like that if someone doesn't have a full understanding of what nursing entails. A massive part of this thread is to help and inform people about nursing - it should be a safe space where people can come with any question they have and not feel embarrassed about it.

And if you know you are coming across rude, but not intending to be so, why not adjust the way your post is written?

Because sometimes....just sometimes....pussy footing around the subject really doesn't work. Constructive criticism....not rudeness. Exactly why I said it may sound rude (because things that are written on texts etc cannot be perceived the way we always want them to). If I was face to face it would not at all come across the way I'd written it. Yes maybe I should of said ARRRGGHHHH.....I'm on the app and have no idea how you edit your posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
Because sometimes....just sometimes....pussy footing around the subject really doesn't work. Constructive criticism....not rudeness. Exactly why I said it may sound rude (because things that are written on texts etc cannot be perceived the way we always want them to). If I was face to face it would not at all come across the way I'd written it. Yes maybe I should of said ARRRGGHHHH.....I'm on the app and have no idea how you edit your posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read my post - constructive criticism was what I gave. I was polite, but realistic, but firm with the poster about needing to research the profession further.

If you know things come across differently when just in written format, then I would again question why you are not additionally cautious with the way you write and phrase things when posting?
Reply 37
Read my post - constructive criticism was what I gave. I was polite, but realistic, but firm with the poster about needing to research the profession further.

If you know things come across differently when just in written format, then I would again question why you are not additionally cautious with the way you write and phrase things when posting?

I bet your fun at parties

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lets put it in another context for one minute.

Lets imagine its your first shift on placement and you ask a mentor a question, which to them is obvious - but to you as a student isn't - and they go "Arggh" or huff at you for not knowing. Understandably, I don't think you'd like that.
Reply 39
Lets put it in another context for one minute.

Lets imagine its your first shift on placement and you ask a mentor a question, which to them is obvious - but to you as a student isn't - and they go "Arggh" or huff at you for not knowing. Understandably, I don't think you'd like that.

You are not site admin. It is not for you to tell me how to give someone constructive criticism. It is not for you to tell people how and what to say. It's Infact none of your business....unless of course I'm foul and uncalled for which I don't think I was. The post wasn't even aimed at the OP. So let's just leave it at that. Thankyou for your concern though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply