The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT

So after receiving some surprising AS results in maths, FM, physics & chemistry (AAAA) I was thinking about applying to Oxford to study Physics. I'm aware that I have to take the PAT as part of my application, but I fear I maybe too late to able to do well enough in the test.

Is it too late to be considering applying to Oxford? Is there a chance I can pass the PAT test without preparing for it earlier? If so, where do I start?
Original post by Vanilla Poison
So after receiving some surprising AS results in maths, FM, physics & chemistry (AAAA) I was thinking about applying to Oxford to study Physics. I'm aware that I have to take the PAT as part of my application, but I fear I maybe too late to able to do well enough in the test.

Is it too late to be considering applying to Oxford? Is there a chance I can pass the PAT test without preparing for it earlier? If so, where do I start?

Hello there,

Congratulations on your AS results! It is not too late to consider applying to Oxford. You should however let your centre know ASAP, as Oxford applications have an earlier deadline than standard applications. The PAT is designed to be accessible to any skilled A-level student and the topics covered by the test are chosen to fit with most students' education by the time the test is taken (November). There are however some topics which one may not have covered by that time and thus you should read the syllabus that is available on the PAT website:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/physics-aptitude-test-pat/pat-syllabus
In summary, if you really want to apply to Oxford, act with haste and inform your centre. You will need to apply for the PAT through them as well. You can get some practice here:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/physics-aptitude-test-pat/pat-past-papers
I wish you all the best!

Smithenator5000
Original post by Smithenator5000
Hello there,

Congratulations on your AS results! It is not too late to consider applying to Oxford. You should however let your centre know ASAP, as Oxford applications have an earlier deadline than standard applications. The PAT is designed to be accessible to any skilled A-level student and the topics covered by the test are chosen to fit with most students' education by the time the test is taken (November). There are however some topics which one may not have covered by that time and thus you should read the syllabus that is available on the PAT website:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/physics-aptitude-test-pat/pat-syllabus
In summary, if you really want to apply to Oxford, act with haste and inform your centre. You will need to apply for the PAT through them as well. You can get some practice here:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/physics-aptitude-test-pat/pat-past-papers
I wish you all the best!

Smithenator5000

Thank you so much for your time, I feel much better now!
No to hijack your thread but how important are AS levels for Oxford? Are A2 predictions more important?
Original post by Vanilla Poison
Thank you so much for your time, I feel much better now!

You're very welcome. :smile:
Original post by hellomynameisr
No to hijack your thread but how important are AS levels for Oxford? Are A2 predictions more important?

Well, I would say that AS levels are fairly important. They are generally a good indicator of one's potential regarding the full A-level. I would imagine the predictions are indeed of greater importance, as they may account for anything which may have hindered one's performance in their AS exams. I am not the expert, however so I would do some more research.
(edited 7 years ago)
You have 5 slots to fill in UCAS, so I would just give it a go, hoping for some luck :wink: PAT is pretty tough, but it might be just my opinion cause I didn't prepare for it too well. If you start now I think you'll have a good shot.

As a small hint I'll add that the more recent tests are way harder than the old ones. You can find all/most of them on their website.

Quick Reply

Latest