The Student Room Group

Why is it beneficial to attend a "good " university ?

Someone asked me today why should you work hard at A-levels and go to a good university (UK top 20) rather than get average A-levels and go to an average university to get the same degree. So why is it important to go to a reputed university ?
Would you honestly feel any sense of pride or achievement if you said to someone I go to London Met or Bournemouth uni
(edited 7 years ago)
job prospects
prestige
more academic environment
alumni
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Would you honestly feel any sense of pride or achievement if you said to someone I go to London Met?

Funnily enough I know quite a few who did p/t degrees who studied there and have successful careers in the City.
Original post by 999tigger
Funnily enough I know quite a few who did p/t degrees who studied there and have successful careers in the City.

What did they study, what did they graduate with, and what do they work as in the city
What did they study, what did they graduate with, and what do they work as in the city

Ginancial service, they work in insurance and law, directors, Lloyd's and lawyers. I will tell them pinkberry says they ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Original post by 999tigger
Ginancial service, they work in insurance and law, directors, Lloyd's and lawyers. I will tell them pinkberry says they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

He's very much in the minority, you can tell him that as well
Reply 7
Seriously....? Next thing you know somebody is going to make a thread like "Why is it beneficial to brush your teeth?"
He's very much in the minority, you can tell him that as well

It's several people, not just one, but I will remind them they dont have your approval.
Original post by Mehtd3529
Someone asked me today why should you work hard at A-levels and go to a good university (UK top 20) rather than get average A-levels and go to an average university to get the same degree. So why is it important to go to a reputed university ?

There's only one price for University at the moment. If there was only one price for all cars, would you choose a Mercedes or a Fiesta?

For some people, the Fiesta might be the right car, but this decision is going to be with you for the rest of your life, why not pick the one with the best reputation you can?
Reply 10
Original post by threeportdrift
There's only one price for University at the moment. If there was only one price for all cars, would you choose a Mercedes or a Fiesta?

For some people, the Fiesta might be the right car, but this decision is going to be with you for the rest of your life, why not pick the one with the best reputation you can?

I think I didn't make myself clear in stating that more importantly why should students work hard to get the best results they possibly can allowing them to go to a reputed university.
Anyway back to the question:

1. Better degree./ teaching
2. Better employment prospects/postgrad.
3. Better facilities.

Much better value for money considering all degrees cost the same.
Personally (though I may be wrong), the course structures appeal to me. I've looked places up and the courses from "prestigious" unis seem more appealing in terms of how they teach (for example tutorials).

I think the sense of pride of achieving it would be very satisfying. Years of working hard for a dream to come true.

Wait up why am I thinking about this I'm like only starting yr12?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending