The Student Room Group

Prestigious unis vs non prestigious unis

Scroll to see replies

I know of someone who got into Citi for AM from London met but that was years ago.
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Why are people always trying to put you off of non prestigious universities? My friend and family members have all told me to go to a prestigious uni rather than a standard one. Would you say a prestigious uni holds higher teaching and educational standards or not?

Oxbridge is overrated. Sadiq Khan went to London Met, while Michael Gove went to Cambridge. Look at them now.

I mean, Michael Gove ffs. The same prick who took out January exams.
Original post by JohnGreek

The sort of person who says "I'm at x therefore I'm guaranteed a job" doesn't deserve one.

This is what most of TSR thinks, and it will slap them in the face once reality sets in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So did Corbyn lmao (or at least to one of its predecessors)

How did Corbyn even get into university with his **** A Level grades?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Oxbridge is overrated. Sadiq Khan went to London Met, while Michael Gove went to Cambridge. Look at them now.

Back in the good old days, you couldn't do law degrees at most universities so you had to go to polys like the University of North London. So Sadiq Khan's degree from London Met is perfectly respectable. Jeremy Corbyn dropping out on the other hand...
Reply 25
To be honest with you, it really depends on the field you want to go into, as some fields are obsessed with prestige and employers will be unlikely to consider your application without you attending a prestigious university.
Well, the North London Polytechnic/London Met will literally take anyone :biggrin:

London Met is on the rise though, I think it lost it's position as the worst university in London to Southbank now.
How did Corbyn even get into university with his **** A Level grades?

Back in the 1970s grade inflation barely existed, now its massive. Loads of universities that now accept people with As and Bs would have accepted people with Cs Ds and Es in the 1970s.

Getting a D grade in 1988 would put you around the 40th to 60th percentile whereas now it puts you around the 20th to 40th percentile.
Interesting graph. I'm keeping this :smile:
Interesting graph. I'm keeping this :smile:

I just realized those are GCSE grades haha. The graph for A-Levels is more extreme. If you got an E in 1988 it would place you in the 30th to 50th percentile whereas getting an E in 2015 places you in 1.8 to 7.9th percentile.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_inflation#UK_A-Level_classifications_from_June_1989_to_2015
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Okay yeah I've come to a conclusion now that prestige is important and I'll probably definitely go for the more prestigious University 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

It depends on the subject and your future career. RG is a self-elected club and several good unis are not part of it e.g. Bath.

One of my students wanted to be an F1 engineer - I didn't recommend Oxbridge or RG for that career!
On this subject, i would like some advice. I achieved A*A*M1 (cambridge pre-u) at A Level but was rejected by Durham a couple of days of waiting after results for History as my offer was D3 A* A and apparently the extra A* didn't make up for it. I am into QMUL which was my insurance. However I feel I still did really well and could potentially get in somewhere like Kings or UCL if I reapplied. How high is QMULs status, and how important do you think it is? Thanks.

Gove did English at Oxford, but your point still stands I guess
Original post by Tortoises172
On this subject, i would like some advice. I achieved A*A*M1 (cambridge pre-u) at A Level but was rejected by Durham a couple of days of waiting after results for History as my offer was D3 A* A and apparently the extra A* didn't make up for it. I am into QMUL which was my insurance. However I feel I still did really well and could potentially get in somewhere like Kings or UCL if I reapplied. How high is QMULs status, and how important do you think it is? Thanks.

QMUL is a top tier university for Law and medicine but it isn't very good for other subjects. Its incredibly bad for Computer Science and EEE. I don't know about History
More data for me I suppose, haha.
It is decent for History but with my grades I could almost definitely do better.
Original post by Tortoises172
It is decent for History but with my grades I could almost definitely do better.

History is very competitive. Most universities ask for AAA+ but you have the equivalent to A*AB.
No, I have the equivalent of A*A*B. An M1 is actually somewhere between an A and a B but we'll call it a B.
Original post by Muttley79
It depends on the subject and your future career. RG is a self-elected club and several good unis are not part of it e.g. Bath.

One of my students wanted to be an F1 engineer - I didn't recommend Oxbridge or RG for that career!

Just out of curiosity was that Oxford Brookes?
Probably - MechEng is their only worthwhile course :smile:

Im stirring it a bit tbh, recommending Brookes over Oxford is TSR meltdown material. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending