The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
Guys im in need of help. My ukcat is in exactly one week and im terrible at verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning...i can barely finish half of the questions in the allocated time on the medify mocks and ive been practicing around an hour a day for 2 weeks!! Any help...tips...tricks or advice would be amazing. Worried af that im gonna mess this up. Most recent mock: QR 450 VR 530 AR 600 SJT band 2 using medify q's helpmeeeee
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2841
Hey guys,

congrats to those who have already done the UKCAT

I have a few questions,

1. Is it not possible to bring in your own calculator because when I do QR tests I run out of time because it takes so long to press buttons on computer screen
2. any tips for how to make sure you do all qs in timed conditions especially QR
3. I know we are given a booklet for working out, is the space limited or can we use as much as we want.

please answer!!

Original post by hkw23
Hey guys,

congrats to those who have already done the UKCAT

I have a few questions,

1. Is it not possible to bring in your own calculator because when I do QR tests I run out of time because it takes so long to press buttons on computer screen
2. any tips for how to make sure you do all qs in timed conditions especially QR
3. I know we are given a booklet for working out, is the space limited or can we use as much as we want.

please answer!!

You're not allowed your own calculator, however, you can use the keyboard for the onscreen calculator. Just make sure that Num Lock is turned on, so you can use the Numpad.

With practice, you should be able to do questions quicker, and be able to do them all. However, you do not need to do all the questions to be able to do well. Focus on doing doing of the questions correctly, as opposed to rushing through them all and performing badly as a result.

You can ask for extra booklets, but you have 6 sides of A4 paper, so it should be enough.
Reply 2843
Original post by Gogregg
You're not allowed your own calculator, however, you can use the keyboard for the onscreen calculator. Just make sure that Num Lock is turned on, so you can use the Numpad.

With practice, you should be able to do questions quicker, and be able to do them all. However, you do not need to do all the questions to be able to do well. Focus on doing doing of the questions correctly, as opposed to rushing through them all and performing badly as a result.

You can ask for extra booklets, but you have 6 sides of A4 paper, so it should be enough.

Thanks you! :smile:

Any other tips?
Reply 2844

48 minutes ago

Guys im in need of help. My ukcat is in exactly one week and im terrible at verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning...i can barely finish half of the questions in the allocated time on the medify mocks and ive been practicing around an hour a day for 2 weeks!! Any help...tips...tricks or advice would be amazing. Worried af that im gonna mess this up. Most recent mock: QR 450 VR 530 AR 600 SJT band 2 using medify q's helpmeeeee

Original post by studentsixth
Yes. I found the passages much longer and harder (especially the 8th mock) but they've helped in my VR substantially as I just got my first 800 for it (was previously getting between 670-700). The AR and QR are generally at the same difficulty as 1-6. I would personally get it for the VR.

Thanks for the reply

Was the UKCAT plus book itself any good? How long did it take to come as my exam is in 12 days. I have already spent quite a bit on Medify and of course the Kaplan course already, in addition to two ukcat books (ISC & Kaplan), but from the jump you got in VR it seems worth it!

When's your UKCAt and what else have you used? I might give Medic Portal a try as I have used most of the practice questions for AR and most of VR on Medify.
Original post by saran23
VR is killing me:frown:

Is it possible to get a good mark whilst you run out of time 3/4 of the way through?

Keep practising, triage any hard questions esp 'conclusion' ones and just give them an educated guess and flag it... Especially if you can't solve it in 20-25 sec or if it's super complicated!
Has anyone used / is currently using 6med's UKCAT ninja resource?
Original post by Jitesh
Thanks for the reply

Was the UKCAT plus book itself any good? How long did it take to come as my exam is in 12 days. I have already spent quite a bit on Medify and of course the Kaplan course already, in addition to two ukcat books (ISC & Kaplan), but from the jump you got in VR it seems worth it!

When's your UKCAt and what else have you used? I might give Medic Portal a try as I have used most of the practice questions for AR and most of VR on Medify.

I had the e-book so I didn't have the physical book. I didn't find it as good as the main Kaplan book as the activities were a little easier with the exception of AR (which is again good practice). There is also not as many activities as in the first Kaplan book. But yeah, I feel so much more confident with it! Mine is on Tuesday haha but I feel like I will fail it when the day comes (my average fluctuates very radically). The Medic Portal is good actually. The questions are a little trickier than Medify I thought and the mocks are completely useless however (they just recycle questions that you'll have already practiced with). It is good practice. EMedica is great for VR as well but the AR and QR become a little obscure for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pra99
Which resource would you say is most representative for AR, because I'm getting 700s for AR in Medify and Kaplan but I don't know whether the questions are too easy. Also, what scores were you getting in your Kaplan mocks?

erm i'd say Medify. I'd say that the medify AR has a mix of easy and hard and as long as you're getting most of the hard ones right and getting in the 700s im sure you'll be fine. In my Kaplan I was getting 600's and in one i even got 500! In medify I was getting slightly higher
Original post by Kings_queens
erm i'd say Medify. I'd say that the medify AR has a mix of easy and hard and as long as you're getting most of the hard ones right and getting in the 700s im sure you'll be fine. In my Kaplan I was getting 600's and in one i even got 500! In medify I was getting slightly higher

What did you get in the actual exam?
Reply 2851

48 minutes ago

Guys im in need of help. My ukcat is in exactly one week and im terrible at verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning...i can barely finish half of the questions in the allocated time on the medify mocks and ive been practicing around an hour a day for 2 weeks!! Any help...tips...tricks or advice would be amazing. Worried af that im gonna mess this up. Most recent mock: QR 450 VR 530 AR 600 SJT band 2 using medify .. Help please.

Original post by MoshBosh
What did you get in the actual exam?

710 average
VR: 630
QR: 710
AR: 790
SJT: 2
Original post by Kings_queens
710 average
VR: 630
QR: 710
AR: 790
SJT: 2

Wow great score, and btw how representative is Kaplan of the real test? I've been getting between 700-747 on the Kaplan mocks, not sure how realistic this actually is
Original post by MoshBosh
Wow great score, and btw how representative is Kaplan of the real test? I've been getting between 700-747 on the Kaplan mocks, not sure how realistic this actually is

well my mocks weren't realistic as i reached 100 higher in the real exam.. if you're getting high i guess that's a good sign!
Original post by erinls2
Yeah but don't just neglect verbal - that was my mistake! Was getting up to 750 in practice sessions but only got 610 on the day! Averaged at 713 though so it was ok in the end XD

Oh damn, that was unfortunate but over 700 is :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Bboymad
VR- 540:angry:( I was disappointed i didn't breach any more than 600 but I kind of expected it to be honest haha)
QR- 850:eek: (Thought i was gonna do so badly- I had to re-teach myself how to do percentage changes the day before LMAO)
AR- 870:h: (pleasantly surprised. Managed to guess all patterns- lost some marks probably due to slight misinterpretation of rules or choosing the wrong set even though in my head i had chose the right set- not the first time that has ever happened hahah)
SJT- band 2 (indifferent)
average- 753

RESOURCES: 1000Q, Official UKCAT Mocks, Medify

Medify is the best resource in my opinion! I suggest doing every single question there is before you sit your exam!!!!!!!!! INCLUDING MOCKS ON THERE!!!!! Because i didn't and coincidentally enough the amount of questions that i did for each section on medify correlate with my score hahaha:tongue:
I gotta admit i barely used half of the 1000Q, but i did do all the AR questions in it and some QR. In my opinion the maths in the 1000Q is of a WAY HARDER STANDARD than what it's like in the real test- Medify is more realistic, i feel.

Amazing score! Congrats :smile: what kind of maths would you suggest practicing? Haven't done maths since GCSE and was pretty crap at it back then :')
Original post by rayrk
All my medify mocks for QR were 600s but i got 830 on actual. I promise you it's easily 50% easier.

Hey, do you have any particular areas in maths which you would recommend practicing? I haven't done maths in forever...:s
Original post by studentsixth
The practice tests are great. They're harder than tests 1-6 but I think that's good for practice, especially VR (VERY lengthy paragraphs and hard statement questions).

Are you refering to the mock tests in the book??
Original post by Lostperson
seriously VR is killing me... anyone has a solid strategy they stuck to??

Look you need to find your strengths in this. Most suggest read question first then scan for words. For some ppl this works well, if you are good at scanning go for it. I tried it last year and failed miserably I got a 590 in VR. I can't scan my attention is completely lost if I do that. What works for me is I read whole text fast but concentrated and then when I go to questions i have retained most info. I'm getting around 750 now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending