The Student Room Group

iPad Pro or Macbook air for uni (medicine)??

Starting uni this september and I'm not really sure what will be more ideal to get for medicine and uni in general. A tablet or laptop? Thanks x
Reply 1
I love my iPad but personally feel a laptop would be a better device for a medicine degree. I had both at uni and only used my laptop for work.
Reply 2
Ooooh this is a good one. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 (typing from it now) and I have a laptop but it's not working and tbh I've gotten by. I personally would recommend a mac but if it's the air I'd say go for an iPad. If it's a MacBook Pro or iPad Pro, defo a MacBook Pro. If you do get an iPad Pro, get the big one, you'll truly love it! Although I can't draw I've got an Apple Pencil and it's great! The keyboard that comes with the iPad is another accessory that you can't pass on, it'll be essential. Sometimes I do wonder if I should've got a surface pro, it's the best of both worlds, the powerful hardware of an iPad but the freedom and utility of Windows. Sorry for sounding too neutral I'll just make it clear, MacBook Pro over iPad Pro. iPad Pro over MacBook Air. But also consider the surface pro. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by zayn008
Ooooh this is a good one. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 (typing from it now) and I have a laptop but it's not working and tbh I've gotten by. I personally would recommend a mac but if it's the air I'd say go for an iPad. If it's a MacBook Pro or iPad Pro, defo a MacBook Pro. If you do get an iPad Pro, get the big one, you'll truly love it! Although I can't draw I've got an Apple Pencil and it's great! The keyboard that comes with the iPad is another accessory that you can't pass on, it'll be essential. Sometimes I do wonder if I should've got a surface pro, it's the best of both worlds, the powerful hardware of an iPad but the freedom and utility of Windows. Sorry for sounding too neutral I'll just make it clear, MacBook Pro over iPad Pro. iPad Pro over MacBook Air. But also consider the surface pro. :smile:

Thank you so much! Would you be able to explain why the Macbook Pro is better than the air? I'm not too great with tech stuff :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by mollicule.
Starting uni this september and I'm not really sure what will be more ideal to get for medicine and uni in general. A tablet or laptop? Thanks x

Is this your primary uni computer?

I'd recommend the laptop - tablet computing is OK in theory but it's in no way an appropriate device for typing up essays and/or dissertations. I bought an iPad mini (the original one cus I've been at uni forever) in second year and that was useful for having e-books on, which I used along-side my laptop. It is also useful for looking up things in lectures - but I think that's due to the size of it. iPhones these days have big screens and could likely be used for a similar purpose in lectures. I am never a person to use a laptop in a lecture - I printed the slides and made hand-written notes.

I have a MacBook Air and it's plenty enough for medicine - I like the fact it's light enough to always have in my bag, and always having it in my bag has saved me a few notable times. You also can't always rely on there being a cluster computer free (especially during busy periods/revision/the times between lectures where everybody in the medical school is off) so it's useful be able to just use your laptop. A MacBook Pro is considerably heavier for carrying around all day, just to note.
Reply 5
Thank you so much! Would you be able to explain why the Macbook Pro is better than the air? I'm not too great with tech stuff :redface:

Sure, the basic reason is because the Air hasn't been updated in so long, I think it's been discontinued and replaced by the 'MacBook', the new MacBook is nice and small but it has a mobile processor, for what you pay its a rip off, couple of £££ extra and you can get a MacBook Pro, refreshed every year and has great specs. So the Air is out dated (even during its time it lacked so much) and the Pro is up to date, I think now that the pro is so slim there's no reason not to buy it. It'll last you longer and you'll get more out of it! You can also go for an older model and it'll still be great, just make sure you go for an i7
Reply 6
Original post by zayn008
Sure, the basic reason is because the Air hasn't been updated in so long, I think it's been discontinued and replaced by the 'MacBook', the new MacBook is nice and small but it has a mobile processor, for what you pay its a rip off, couple of £££ extra and you can get a MacBook Pro, refreshed every year and has great specs. So the Air is out dated (even during its time it lacked so much) and the Pro is up to date, I think now that the pro is so slim there's no reason not to buy it. It'll last you longer and you'll get more out of it! You can also go for an older model and it'll still be great, just make sure you go for an i7

i7 is a bit of an overkill imo, unless OP will use the laptop for some intense stuff like gaming
Just get a windows laptop
Reply 8
Thank you all! I went for the Macbook upon seeing what you guys wrote but also speaking with the people who were at the store. They said if I wasn't really doing much media/gaming related there was no real reason for me to buy the heavier macbook pro over the macbook. And the macbook>iPad pro bc of all the essays and things. Really appreciate all the help. :colondollar:
Reply 9
Thank you all! I went for the Macbook upon seeing what you guys wrote but also speaking with the people who were at the store. They said if I wasn't really doing much media/gaming related there was no real reason for me to buy the heavier macbook pro over the macbook. And the macbook>iPad pro bc of all the essays and things. Really appreciate all the help. :colondollar:

Did you get the MacBook or the MacBook Air? Just for interest...
Reply 10

Reply 11

Reply 12

Reply 13

I hope you got it with the student discount and the free Beats headphones they're giving at the moment! If not, return it!
Reply 14
Original post by Beska

The Macbook :smile:

Original post by JayAhm
I hope you got it with the student discount and the free Beats headphones they're giving at the moment! If not, return it!

I did get it with the free beats and 10% discount! :biggrin:
Original post by Zxyn

i just wandered, i have an macbook pro and i just wanted to know why you prefer the iPad pro over the air? trying to make a decision between an iMac or a iPad pro (I'm doing law btw)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending