The Student Room Group

I've just been given a mortgage offer in principle, AMA

I typed in my income details, and the Santander website said that they would be able to offer us a £119,696 mortgage on a house, which is really great news isn't it. I am going to take my id in tomorrow to open a graduate account with them!

John.
Reply 1
What is the meaning of life
Reply 2
Original post by xxm
What is the meaning of life

43 i think, if i remember correctly?
Sounds good, buddy. :smile:

Don't forget to save some money for a home inspection before you buy.
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
Sounds good, buddy. :smile:

Don't forget to save some money for a home inspection before you buy.

How much will that cost, and the solicitor's fees. I forgot about them!
Original post by john2054
How much will that cost, and the solicitor's fees. I forgot about them!

I have absolutely no idea. :tongue:

Knowing the UK, you probably have to pay some taxes too. (though with your lower budget this might not be too bad)

You might find this helpful:
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/money-timeline-when-buying-property-england-wales--n-ireland
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I have absolutely no idea. :tongue:

Knowing the UK, you probably have to pay some taxes too. (though with your lower budget this might not be too bad)

You might find this helpful:
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/money-timeline-when-buying-property-england-wales--n-ireland

Do you own your own house sabre tooth, or do you rent, or what is your living arrangements at the moment, if you mind me asking?
Do you own your own house sabre tooth, or do you rent, or what is your living arrangements at the moment, if you mind me asking?

I rent. I considered buying a house but my wife and I are only looking at staying in this town for perhaps 3 more years (until I graduate). The town is in the middle of nowhere and the quality of properties available is generally quite low - we would buy, except it might be difficult for us to sell the house on after because of the location and that would be a right pain in the ass.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I rent. I considered buying a house but my wife and I are only looking at staying in this town for perhaps 3 more years (until I graduate). The town is in the middle of nowhere and the quality of properties available is generally quite low - we would buy, except it might be difficult for us to sell the house on after because of the location and that would be a right pain in the ass.

true i understand your concerns. buying a house is a big decision and you shouldn't take in to it lightly. Would you be looking at getting a mortgage or buying outright, are either of you working, and what kind of value property are you looking in to getting? including how many bedrooms? also do you want a garden?
true i understand your concerns. buying a house is a big decision and you shouldn't take in to it lightly. Would you be looking at getting a mortgage or buying outright, are either of you working, and what kind of value property are you looking in to getting? including how many bedrooms? also do you want a garden?

Having looked around this town, it seems that for $100,000 you can get a pretty nice house (not great quality, but really none of them are here). Probably 4 bedrooms so we can put our exercise equipment in one, guests in another, and maybe a little Sabertooth in the other in a couple more years :tongue: I'd like a garden as I enjoy growing vegetables and the pool has to go somewhere :wink:

And yes, my wife has a pretty good job. I'm currently just a student but when I graduate I should be able to get around $55,000 starting. We'd then need to decide whether to stay here or if we can both get good jobs elsewhere.

What about you? Baby Johns? :biggrin: Garden?
Reply 10
Having looked around this town, it seems that for $100,000 you can get a pretty nice house (not great quality, but really none of them are here). Probably 4 bedrooms so we can put our exercise equipment in one, guests in another, and maybe a little Sabertooth in the other in a couple more years :tongue: I'd like a garden as I enjoy growing vegetables and the pool has to go somewhere :wink:

And yes, my wife has a pretty good job. I'm currently just a student but when I graduate I should be able to get around $55,000 starting. We'd then need to decide whether to stay here or if we can both get good jobs elsewhere.

What about you? Baby Johns? :biggrin: Garden?

That's better value than compared to here. Here in the uk derby, a small average value city, for a good location semi we are looking at a £160k value house (about $180k) with a £50k deposit and a £110 mortgage. Three beds and a small garden. No room for a pool though.

Plus i will probably never work, even though i have a degree and am looking at postgraduate study. But my wife earns about £24k a year, and that is most likely going to go up when she gets a promotion which is on the cards.

Bearing in mind two years ago i couldn't get any form of credit, i think i have done well to come close to getting my first house. Thanks for writing back, and good luck with your studies!

ps garden yes, but babies, well i already have my wife's step daughter, and we need three rooms so we can each have one. I am planning to go with her for a fertility check when she gets back, but we're not going to be having any kids whilst we don't do it. And i don't know if this is going to change, in the near future. There is more to a marriage then, carnal relations although, (although they are a cherry on the cake)!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest