The Student Room Group

is it possible to get a level coursework remarked?

Hi,
When i got my a level results the other day, I noticed my coursework grade was a C even though my biology teacher said it was an A after moderation. I'm not sure how it's been marked down by so much but is it possible to appeal against this grade or request a remark?
You can request a remark. A similar thing happened with the coursework at my school so they sent all our coursework off for a remark. Unfortunately ours didn't change and the problem was the way the teachers at my school explained it, which meant we were missing points we needed to include.

Given that is a really big difference I would talk to your school about getting it remarked, but just be aware that it may not change. You'll need to pay for it, but if your grade changes (I think) it's free. Your school will be able to tell you all the options you have. Good luck! :smile:

(This happened to me two years ago so things may have changed!)
Reply 2
Original post by Firefly13
You can request a remark. A similar thing happened with the coursework at my school so they sent all our coursework off for a remark. Unfortunately ours didn't change and the problem was the way the teachers at my school explained it, which meant we were missing points we needed to include.

Given that is a really big difference I would talk to your school about getting it remarked, but just be aware that it may not change. You'll need to pay for it, but if your grade changes (I think) it's free. Your school will be able to tell you all the options you have. Good luck! :smile:

(This happened to me two years ago so things may have changed!)

Thanks for replying. Yeah last year, the exact same thing happened with our AS coursework. But this year my coursework wasn't called up by the exam board, or so my teacher told me, do you think maybe they took a certain number of marks off of everyone's coursework? At AS, they managed to get the examboard to remark it up though it took quite some time. *I think 5 UMS was added on to everyone's UMS total*

Do you know if there's a deadline for getting coursework remarked? :smile: Thanks again for your help.
Original post by Sammy9898
Thanks for replying. Yeah last year, the exact same thing happened with our AS coursework. But this year my coursework wasn't called up by the exam board, or so my teacher told me, do you think maybe they took a certain number of marks off of everyone's coursework? At AS, they managed to get the examboard to remark it up though it took quite some time. *I think 5 UMS was added on to everyone's UMS total*

Do you know if there's a deadline for getting coursework remarked? :smile: Thanks again for your help.

I think each year the schools have to send off a random selection of coursework (including the highest and lowest marks of the year) and you were just unlucky yours was chosen this year. The moderators will have a look at how your school marked the coursework and compare it to the other schools. What probably happened is that the moderator thought your school marked your coursework too nicely so they dropped the grades of everyone in the class by the same amount to make it equal with other schools. Obviously mistakes can be made so when its remarked they may see the first moderator was being too strict and that's why you all went up again.

I'm not sure of a deadline, sorry! I think it will depend on the exam board you're on, but my school asked about sending mine off around a week after results day so I don't think you have to rush (unless you want a priority re-mark, but you may have missed the deadline for that already? Your school should be able to tell you more!)
Reply 4
Original post by Firefly13
I think each year the schools have to send off a random selection of coursework (including the highest and lowest marks of the year) and you were just unlucky yours was chosen this year. The moderators will have a look at how your school marked the coursework and compare it to the other schools. What probably happened is that the moderator thought your school marked your coursework too nicely so they dropped the grades of everyone in the class by the same amount to make it equal with other schools. Obviously mistakes can be made so when its remarked they may see the first moderator was being too strict and that's why you all went up again.

I'm not sure of a deadline, sorry! I think it will depend on the exam board you're on, but my school asked about sending mine off around a week after results day so I don't think you have to rush (unless you want a priority re-mark, but you may have missed the deadline for that already? Your school should be able to tell you more!)

Oh I see. So, did you have to pay for a remark or was it just something that your school did for you? I'm not entirely sure what to do since my biology teacher isn't in school at the moment and I haven't been able to speak to him at all even on results day or after. I don't know if it would be worth speaking to the exam's officer because I feel like she may not be able to help?
Original post by Sammy9898
Oh I see. So, did you have to pay for a remark or was it just something that your school did for you? I'm not entirely sure what to do since my biology teacher isn't in school at the moment and I haven't been able to speak to him at all even on results day or after. I don't know if it would be worth speaking to the exam's officer because I feel like she may not be able to help?

My school paid for mine. I didn't really mind about getting it remarked because I'd already got into my firm choice uni. They were sure it should have been higher though and if not they said it was their fault I didn't do better (my mark stayed the same, but I don't blame my school no matter what they say I know I didn't try as hard as I could have!). You school might pay, but I'd say it's more likely you would have to (only your school could tell you though!).

If I were you I'd contact your exams officer just to talk about deadlines and the cost, which they should be able to tell you. As long as you have time you can always wait to send it off until you talk to your teacher, but you don't want to keep waiting for him to reply just to find out you waited too long and missed the deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending