The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samrosenwalker
Hey, do you have any particular areas in maths which you would recommend practicing? I haven't done maths in forever...:s

The maths itself isn't that hard without the time limit. I'd say once you've got to grips with it, do as much timed practice as possible while trying not to fall into the traps under the pressure
So I averaged at 667 (a bit lower than I expected :frown: )
VR 630
QR 750
AR 620
I have 9 A*s at GCSE, are there places I should definitely avoid because of my ukcat score :frown:
Original post by Kings_queens
erm i'd say Medify. I'd say that the medify AR has a mix of easy and hard and as long as you're getting most of the hard ones right and getting in the 700s im sure you'll be fine. In my Kaplan I was getting 600's and in one i even got 500! In medify I was getting slightly higher

What overall mock scores were you getting in Kaplan and Medify?
710 average
VR: 630
QR: 710
AR: 790
SJT: 2

Did you find QR as easy as everyones making it out to be?
Original post by Lekeziah
VR 630
QR 750
AR 620
I have 9 A*s at GCSE, are there places I should definitely avoid because of my ukcat score :frown:

Your score is above average, and with such strong GCSE grades, I can't really think of anywhere you couldn't apply.

I see your AR score is fairly low, were the patterns really difficult or did you just run out of time?
Original post by Lekeziah
VR 630
QR 750
AR 620

Newcastle, southampton, Glasgow, exeter, manchester, edinburgh.

Your grades are amazing i would say you have a good shot at Cardiff, Birmingham, QUB, Leicester, Nottingham, Liverpool, UEA, SGUL, Aberdeen, Dundee.

For cardiff you would get a full academic score and would be highly likely to get an interview.
For birmingham you would score very highly for combined GCSE and UKCAT score which is likely to get an interview.
For QUB same reason as bham.
Leicester you would score very high on GCSE and decent on UKCAT. Same with nottingham although this is a bit riskier as they include PS in their score.
Liverpool are PS heavy but you should have no trouble getting to the stage where the PS is marked, this may be more risky as an option as they place less emphasis on GCSEs which is 100% your strong point.
If you really want to take a risk try kings or a bmat uni.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoshBosh
Your score is above average, and with such strong GCSE grades, I can't really think of anywhere you couldn't apply.

I see your AR score is fairly low, were the patterns really difficult or did you just run out of time?

Probably wouldnt a be a competative score for UKCAT heavy unis as a lot of cut off scores have surpassed this in previous years for these unis. But there are still loads of options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol.jpg Anyone who has done the exam, are the VR passages really this long and complicated? Getting a bit worried :frown:
Original post by isabella1999
lol.jpg Anyone who has done the exam, are the VR passages really this long and complicated? Getting a bit worried :frown:

I sat my exam 2 years ago now but i can say it was a mix of long passages like this and shorter passages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliceLewis
Are you refering to the mock tests in the book??

The Plus package on Kaplan.
Original post by Pra99
Did you find QR as easy as everyones making it out to be?

It's definitely Easier than Medify
Original post by Natalierm2707
I sat my exam 2 years ago now but i can say it was a mix of long passages like this and shorter passages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah okay at least it is not all bad, thanks!
Original post by Pra99
What overall mock scores were you getting in Kaplan and Medify?

i hated doing kaplan mocks because you can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts and so i did better in the medify ones getting high 600s compared to low ones in kaplan cus the layout frustrated me
Reply 2873
Original post by samrosenwalker
Hey, do you have any particular areas in maths which you would recommend practicing? I haven't done maths in forever...:s

Percentage change
Perimeter, area etc
Speed, dist, time
Mean, median, mode
Graphs
Questions on tax
Converting measurements from one form to another i.e. ft to m
Currency conversion
Timetables
I got information from a friend who's taken it already that it was a kind of booklet with laminated pages, the size of A5. The reason why you have to ask for new one after filling up is because you get a permanent marker to write notes (especially useful for QR), and not a normal whiteboard marker you can rub out. A tip is once you have a small space left, ask for a new one while thinking about next q, as it'll waste more time if you ask for new one after you run out of space.
Reply 2875
Guys I did my UKCAT today. I did worse and I panicked during my exam. Please help me with some advise on where I can apply.
I got 5A* 3As and 1B in GCSEs.

My UKCAT score: 590 VR, 720 QR, 580 AR.

SJT: Band 2

I am predicted 40 points in IB. PLEASE HELP. I AM SO SAD :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MansB
Guys I did my UKCAT today. I did worse and I panicked during my exam. Please help me with some advise on where I can apply.
I got 5A* 3As and 1B in GCSEs.

My UKCAT score: 590 VR, 720 QR, 580 AR.

I am predicted 40 points in IB. PLEASE HELP. I AM SO SAD :frown:

Your score is above average and you're predicted very highly in your IB... Relax
i hated doing kaplan mocks because you can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts and so i did better in the medify ones getting high 600s compared to low ones in kaplan cus the layout frustrated me

wow, so you got about 100 more points in the real exam? Also, do you remember what score you got in Kaplan test 6 because I did unusually well in that.
Original post by Pra99
wow, so you got about 100 more points in the real exam? Also, do you remember what score you got in Kaplan test 6 because I did unusually well in that.

yeah I did, was a shock to me. When i read my results I kept having to add them up and divide by 3 over and over again to make sure i was reading my average correct! (they do not give you your average or total on the results sheet)

I didn't bother doing 6 because I wanted to complete as much as medify as I could and like i said i hated the fact you couldn't use shortcuts.
Reply 2879
Original post by marcobruni98
Your score is above average and you're predicted very highly in your IB... Relax

Which universities should I look at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending