The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is University possible without A-Levels?

I left high school in 2014 with my GCSEs and went to college for about 4 months before leaving as I thought I'd chosen the wrong path. I then went back to another college in 2015 and left after 4 months because we really weren't getting taught much but also for personal reasons. I want to try again, third time lucky I hope, by going to Manchester Uni. I have dyspraxia so even though the website does tell me what I need to know, I have a hard time understanding the layout and wording, and I've had no help when reaching out to the Uni itself. I wanted to do Zoology and German Studies but I've been told that that is not a combination they offer. I also thought about doing Zoology with a Modern Language, as both German and Zoology are important to me. I just don't really understand the layout of the Entry Requirements page. It says A level requirements, GCSE, Btec .etc. but I don't know whether that means I need all qualification stated or if the GCSE grades stated (english and maths C or above) are the minimum I'd need to apply. I feel really stupid for asking but if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it
Sorry you couldn't find any help from the uni themselves so maybe i could be of some assistance. Usually to enter a degree course you will need at least 3 alevels. I've looked at the university's website for zoology and these are the grades and subjects you will need if you wish to enter the course;
at least a C in both maths and english at GCSE
at Alevel you must be studying at least 2 of the following subjects; biology/chemistry/physics/maths
The third a level subject can be whatever you want but two of them must be from the subjects i have listed above and you must obtain an A in one of the subjects
If you want to combine zoology with a modern language i have also looked at the university's website for this. You still need to be studying at least 2 science subjects AND obtain at least a grade B at alevel of the language you wish to study

For example if you wanted to study Zoology and German you would need to have at least a C in both english and maths at GCSE level. You also need to be studying 2 science subjects and get an A in one of them and be studying german and get a B in that.

hope this was helpful :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
A year long access course at a local college is a possible option. They may also allow you to complete any GCSEs required to meet university requirements.
Original post by li0nskin_
I left high school in 2014 with my GCSEs and went to college for about 4 months before leaving as I thought I'd chosen the wrong path. I then went back to another college in 2015 and left after 4 months because we really weren't getting taught much but also for personal reasons. I want to try again, third time lucky I hope, by going to Manchester Uni. I have dyspraxia so even though the website does tell me what I need to know, I have a hard time understanding the layout and wording, and I've had no help when reaching out to the Uni itself. I wanted to do Zoology and German Studies but I've been told that that is not a combination they offer. I also thought about doing Zoology with a Modern Language, as both German and Zoology are important to me. I just don't really understand the layout of the Entry Requirements page. It says A level requirements, GCSE, Btec .etc. but I don't know whether that means I need all qualification stated or if the GCSE grades stated (english and maths C or above) are the minimum I'd need to apply. I feel really stupid for asking but if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it

other routes besides access (like btecs etc) but access would be the simplest. However don't think that because its not a-levels it will be very easy. i did further maths, physics and engineering maths and had a battle with at least 2-4 assignments per month and 2 tests per month but it was still worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending