The Student Room Group

Prestigious unis vs non prestigious unis

Scroll to see replies

I mean as someone going to a not prestigious uni, obviously a prestigious uni is better hence being prestigious but even if you don't go to a prestigious one, just make do with what you have. For certain careers you need a degree just to get your foot in the door and obviously your choice of degree matters so make the most of what you have.
Prestigious unis have higher entry requirements and that means the people who go there are hard workers. (Obviously unis with lower entry requirements are still going to have hard workers tho this is just one theory of why they are valued higher)
Original post by JamesN88
Just out of curiosity was that Oxford Brookes?

Yes it was - they have graduates in every F1 team. Their Engineering degrees are a good mix of theory and practical with a year in industry.
Original post by Muttley79
Yes it was - they have graduates in every F1 team. Their Engineering degrees are a good mix of theory and practical with a year in industry.

Yeah I was chatting to an engineer who works at Mercedes in Didcot(I think, whatever Brawn GP is called now) and he was really singing their praises.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Prestigious unis have higher entry requirements and that means the people who go there are hard workers. (Obviously unis with lower entry requirements are still going to have hard workers tho this is just one theory of why they are valued higher)

That's a huge generalisation - some people chose a course they want even though they could get into another degree elsewhere. Somecourses are worth that.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Oxbridge is overrated. Sadiq Khan went to London Met, while Michael Gove went to Cambridge. Look at them now.

I mean, Michael Gove ffs. The same prick who took out January exams.

Michael Gove did not go to Cambridge, he went to Oxford. Just wanted to correct you there :colone:

On serious note, Michael Gove does not seem to be a bad person, despite the media portraying him as one.

He went to a Grammar school and appears to be a very hardworking and intelligent person. It is a shame that people think he tried to destroy the Education system.
If you're doing Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science, it doesn't matter which uni you go to. These are vocational careers which will always be in demand. Theoretically you could go to the most **** uni in the middle of nowhere to do Medicine and still (hopefully) get a job at the end. Otherwise, yes prestige does matter - but not to the extent where people are obsessed with only getting into Oxbridge and other top unis so they continually apply for the same 5 places year after year. That's pretty shallow and short-sighted. Employers look for people with good personality traits and experience in their fields. If you went to a lower-performing uni but you spent time learning skills and getting experience for your chosen career path, you'll have no problem getting a job.

Obviously, getting a job also depends on which city you're aiming to work in. London, Birmingham, Edinburgh = no problem. North of England is a lot more problematic where unemployment is high and the jobs simply don't exist for graduates in well-paid disciplines. Unless you're hoping to go for minimum wage jobs, in which case what is the point of going to uni in the first place?
Original post by Tortoises172
On this subject, i would like some advice. I achieved A*A*M1 (cambridge pre-u) at A Level but was rejected by Durham a couple of days of waiting after results for History as my offer was D3 A* A and apparently the extra A* didn't make up for it. I am into QMUL which was my insurance. However I feel I still did really well and could potentially get in somewhere like Kings or UCL if I reapplied. How high is QMULs status, and how important do you think it is? Thanks.

My advice is that you should send your grades to UCL History admissions office to gauge whether you have a strong application, if they say yes. Then you decide what you choose to do.

Queen Mary is a decent University, but people tend to bash it a lot for more central London Colleges like LSE, Imperial and UCL.

Think about it and make a choice. Good luck
I think going to a prestigious university is much more than the course. Some people get too hung up solely on the course rather than the complete university experience, when on average students spend less than 30 hours per week (over a 6 month period) on their courses.

You will (potentially) benefit from other aspects of university life like facilities, excellent academic support, strong community and an overall top environment to live and learn.

There are cases that some courses are better ranked in non-prestigious universities than others. I guess it has to do with what the individual in question wants to do. However, there are some cases where I have heard of kids rejecting places like Oxford and Imperial for random (in my opinion) universities. I think it is crazy, but I respect their decisions.

My advice is to go to the most prestigious and competitive university that you can get into. When you get in, take full advantage of the benefits that come with the university's prestige (and resources).

In the end, it won't matter where you went to uni; but at the beginning, some people would still put respect to whether you earned a 3rd at Manchester or a 1st at a "lower" university.
Original post by Wired_1800
Michael Gove did not go to Cambridge, he went to Oxford. Just wanted to correct you there :colone:

On serious note, Michael Gove does not seem to be a bad person, despite the media portraying him as one.

He went to a Grammar school and appears to be a very hardworking and intelligent person. It is a shame that people think he tried to destroy the Education system.

Well, a lot of teachers, students and parents hate him because he removed January exams and created Linear A levels, essentially destroying AS levels and disadvantaging those with weak GCSEs. Also, he seemed to have very much back-stabbed Boris, and to make it even more awkward, he lost. He also seems like the type of person who is easily pressured by his wife :|
Well, a lot of teachers, students and parents hate him because he removed January exams and created Linear A levels, essentially destroying AS levels and disadvantaging those with weak GCSEs. Also, he seemed to have very much back-stabbed Boris, and to make it even more awkward, he lost. He also seems like the type of person who is easily pressured by his wife :|

Fair enough. There are also people, who think he did good for the education system. Depends on what side of the aisle you sit.

I watched a video where many people sang his praises. People say that he was the "brains" behind the Brexit campaign (whether it is a good thing or a bad thing).

All in all, I don't think that he is a bad person though.
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Why are people always trying to put you off of non prestigious universities? My friend and family members have all told me to go to a prestigious uni rather than a standard one. Would you say a prestigious uni holds higher teaching and educational standards or not?

Try go for prestigious unis but please don't be one of those people who thinks a degree from a russell group uni will get you a high paying job. And on the topic of russell group they need to rearrange the unis because I dont believe places like Sheffield and Liverpool are above places like UEA and Loughborough.
is Leeds prestigious?
Fair enough. There are also people, who think he did good for the education system. Depends on what side of the aisle you sit.

I watched a video where many people sang his praises. People say that he was the "brains" behind the Brexit campaign (whether it is a good thing or a bad thing).

All in all, I don't think that he is a bad person though.

With a face like that, probably not :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Imperial or GTFO

cosign
With a face like that, probably not :biggrin:

lol :biggrin:
Original post by RomeoSantos
is Leeds prestigious?

Depends on who you speak to, some people think it is prestigeous others may think it is garbage.

I think it has prestige, but not absolute prestige like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Imperial and LSE.
I think it has prestige, but not absolute prestige like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Imperial and LSE.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure you are an expert on this matter.
Original post by Paraphilos
Thanks for the information. I'm sure you are an expert on this matter.

You are being sarcastic.

To be fair, in the end, prestige is relative. Some kids at some universities believe that their uni is very prestigeous, when they are just average universities.

Imo, you cannot debate the presitge of some of the London Universities and Oxbridge, but some people can debate the prestige of Leeds.

Education system = steaming pile of poo.
M. Gove = steaming pile of poo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending