The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nwmyname

The media coverage also pressurises exam boards to lower the grade boundaries.
Remember hannah and the sweets :smile:

exam boards don't lower grade boundaries because of media pressure, they lower them when people don't do as well... the hannah's sweets paper was a hard one and that question in particular threw a lot of people off because it wasn't standard at all. (i don't even know why people complained about that when the grain question was much harder)
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
exam boards don't lower grade boundaries because of media pressure, they lower them when people don't do as well... the hannah's sweets paper was a hard one and that question in particular threw a lot of people off because it wasn't standard at all. (i don't even know why people complained about that when the grain question was much harder)

As far as I heard from the physics exam, a lot of questions were difficult.
No they do.
Exam boards have a reputation and if they don't keep it up, teachers leave it for another exam board.
Chemistry F324 in 2015 was the same by a small margin.
C1 maths was lowered in A level far below normal than previous years.
There are plenty of examples, and all were featured in the news.

Exam boards care about their reputation, and they will do anything to save it.
Look at CHEM4 for AQA this year.
I know this has probably been asked before but I can't scroll last 100 pages, I took further science, will I come out with chemistry, biology and physics grades individually or core, additional and further additional grades? As I'm likely to have done worse in physics which might bring my average down
Original post by Mattarath
I know this has probably been asked before but I can't scroll last 100 pages, I took further science, will I come out with chemistry, biology and physics grades individually or core, additional and further additional grades? As I'm likely to have done worse in physics which might bring my average down

It is up to your school, but most will give you the individual subjects
Original post by AlevelBiologist
Hey, I'm doing Chemistry, Geography & Biology
But I'm going into the biosciences (more specifically, Nutrition/Dietetics), for which bio & chem are essential. Geography is a very facilitating subject, though. It certainly makes it easier to get into Humanitarian aid. You could go into physical areas such as cartography, coastal protection, natural hazards management/ monitoring, climatic/environment sciences and lots more. Or human areas such as demographics, population and governance. You can go into Chemistry for laboratory work, or mathematics for computing, business, finance, accounting, or physics. The world is your oyster!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my first dream/ nightmare about results day today. I got one C, four Bs, one A* and the rest As. It's really freaked me out. I can't believe how close it is.
Original post by lonyeka
I had my first dream/ nightmare about results day today. I got one C, four Bs, one A* and the rest As. It's really freaked me out. I can't believe how close it is.

To be fair, I think those are gr8 results! Don't worry bout the nightmares, they mean nothing. You've done the exams now, just hope for the best. Good luck (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What time on Wednesday are the official grade boundaries being released? Is it midnight or some time in the morning like 8am? Also, do all the different exam boards' grade boundaries get released at the same time?
Had another RD dream; I got 5 M's and 4 N's whatever that is :biggrin:
😂😂 that is a weird dream lol , ur probably stressed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19

Do Ms and Ns even exist in the grading system? :biggrin:
Sure it goes from A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, U

No Ms and Ns

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19

I keep getting weird grades, like I got a subject list and it was

English Mathematics. - Good
All of sciences - 100%
Art and Failure - J

But in my dream it made so much sense :confused: What on earth is English mathematics? Art and failure was hinting at me maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sahil19

Do Ms or Ns even exist in the grading system? LOL :biggrin:
I'm it goes from A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, U
haven't seen anything beyond those grades
Actually, A**'s are possible tho too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amanii_ox
Do Ms and Ns even exist in the grading system? :biggrin:
Sure it goes from A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, U

No Ms and Ns

Posted from TSR Mobile

they don't and I kept asking teachers what they meant but nobody told me hahahha
Original post by amanii_ox
Do Ms or Ns even exist in the grading system? LOL :biggrin:
I'm it goes from A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, U
haven't seen anything beyond those grades
Actually, A**'s are possible tho too

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you're thinking of A^ which is only available in Further Maths
I keep having like, mood swings, but...confidence swings? I'll be like 'yeah i've done good lol' and then suddenly tHE CRISIS COMES AND I'M like 'i've failed everything oh my god'
:s-smilie:
Original post by MessedUpMajorly
I keep having like, mood swings, but...confidence swings? I'll be like 'yeah i've done good lol' and then suddenly tHE CRISIS COMES AND I'M like 'i've failed everything oh my god'
:s-smilie:

I know EXACTLY what you mean
Original post by sahil19

that doesn't sound good LOL
Original post by sahil19

Apparently it's common to dream of getting grades that don't even exist

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest