The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Concern over UEA's accommodation offer.

Hi guys, so I just got my accommodation offer and I have to say that I am disasppointed not to have gotten my first choice which was the Ziggurats at £4000. I instead got the Village Ensuite, I really had my heart set on the Ziggurats and I have a real concern that I will stuggle with the extra financial burden that this will impose. So I am asking is there any way to change or swap with someone else because otherwise I may be unable to accept the room. Thanks.
Original post by Jack652
Hi guys, so I just got my accommodation offer and I have to say that I am disasppointed not to have gotten my first choice which was the Ziggurats at £4000. I instead got the Village Ensuite, I really had my heart set on the Ziggurats and I have a real concern that I will stuggle with the extra financial burden that this will impose. So I am asking is there any way to change or swap with someone else because otherwise I may be unable to accept the room. Thanks.

I'm not sure how flexible the Accomm office are on this, but over the next few days, people will be accepting/declining their room offers, and so they may have some zig rooms come available, however, they may have some system in place already to allocate them if any become available.

After you've arrived, people do swap rooms, as people drop out/move around, and so it's worth going to Accomm office after you've arrived to see if any have come available, however, the ziggs are highly sought after, and so it may be difficult to get one, unless you find someone who's willing to swap with you...

At this point, I'm sure if ringing the Accomm office would be the best idea, however, perhaps @University of East Anglia can give further advice on what to do right now!

(It's also worth remembering that there is some financial support that you will be able to get from Student Support if you're having difficulty with payments etc whilst you're at UEA, if you need it.)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mobbsy91
I'm not sure how flexible the Accomm office are on this, but over the next few days, people will be accepting/declining their room offers, and so they may have some zig rooms come available, however, they may have some system in place already to allocate them if any become available.

After you've arrived, people do swap rooms, as people drop out/move around, and so it's worth going to Accomm office after you've arrived to see if any have come available, however, the ziggs are highly sought after, and so it may be difficult to get one, unless you find someone who's willing to swap with you...

At this point, I'm sure if ringing the Accomm office would be the best idea, however, perhaps @University of East Anglia can give further advice on what to do right now!

(It's also worth remembering that there is some financial support that you will be able to get from Student Support if you're having difficulty with payments etc whilst you're at UEA, if you need it.)

Well here's hoping, I've messaged them on here, Twitter & emailed them, anxiously waiting for a reply.
Original post by Jack652
Well here's hoping, I've messaged them on here, Twitter & emailed them, anxiously waiting for a reply.

Hi Jack, it sounds like you've taken Mobbsy91's advice which is what we would advise too. For anyone else with concerns you can contact the Accommodation Office on [email protected] or call 01603 592092.

Demand for Norfolk and Suffolk Terrace is always significant, but we try to offer people their first choice wherever possible.
Reply 4
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi Jack, it sounds like you've taken Mobbsy91's advice which is what we would advise too. For anyone else with concerns you can contact the Accommodation Office on [email protected] or call 01603 592092.

Demand for Norfolk and Suffolk Terrace is always significant, but we try to offer people their first choice wherever possible.

Hi I've tried emailing but I haven't gotten a response in 5 hours, is this normal?

I tried phoning but it said that they're "mailbox is full"

Is there anything I can do here?
Original post by Jack652
Hi I've tried emailing but I haven't gotten a response in 5 hours, is this normal?

They'll have been really busy today with sending out masses of offers, so hopefully you'll get a reply from them tomorrow!
Original post by Jack652

I'm also a bit unsatisfied with my room offer and have emailed them about it but they haven't replied yet. I'm guessing they're just really busy right now. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by knifeprincess
I'm also a bit unsatisfied with my room offer and have emailed them about it but they haven't replied yet. I'm guessing they're just really busy right now. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here, what did you get/ what did you want?
Original post by Jack652
Same here, what did you get/ what did you want?

My first choice was the two bedroom unit (was hoping to get constable terrace as it is closer to the psychology building) but I got placed at hickling house instead. Not only is that an extra £100 a month but it's also quite far from my classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
My first choice was the two bedroom unit (was hoping to get constable terrace as it is closer to the psychology building) but I got placed at hickling house instead. Not only is that an extra £100 a month but it's also quite far from my classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's similar to mine, as they've added extra cost for no real reason. I applied really early and reached the grades needed and I feel very hard done by.
Original post by Jack652
It's similar to mine, as they've added extra cost for no real reason. I applied really early and reached the grades needed and I feel very hard done by.

When you apply and your grades have no bearing on your offer. Otherwise that'd be just as unfair on those who don't do as well, or who aren't able to apply as early.
Original post by Jack652

Same. I already got my final grades when I applied since I took A levels last year and was given an unconditional offer because of it. I was so sure I would get my first choice but nope. I'm not sure how I would be able to pay for this (was hoping to not ask for more money from my parents). I might end up getting a part time job just to cover the costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll find that its very unlikely you have all your classes in one building, they can be all over campus, especially in first year when lecture groups are large. And to add to that UEA's campus is very compact, it only takes about 15 mins to walk from one end to the other so any hall on campus won't be far from your classes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending