The Student Room Group

UKCAT !!!!

for the ukcat verbal reasoning I SERIOUSLY CANNOT GET MORE THAN THREE RIGHT ON THE COMPREHENSIVE SECTION!!!! I promise you i have tried reading the text first, THEN answering (doesn't work), also reading options first then skim reading (nope), tried everything :/
please tell me how you've done this section. PLEASE!!!!!!!
the true false and cant tell part im ok with

thank you
Original post by papajani1234
for the ukcat verbal reasoning I SERIOUSLY CANNOT GET MORE THAN THREE RIGHT ON THE COMPREHENSIVE SECTION!!!! I promise you i have tried reading the text first, THEN answering (doesn't work), also reading options first then skim reading (nope), tried everything :/
please tell me how you've done this section. PLEASE!!!!!!!
the true false and cant tell part im ok with

thank you

Good afternoon Papajani1234,

I'm sorry that you're frustrated, perhaps the best thing for you to do is start from the beginning and work your way up to the skim reading to answer. Your frustration with this section may be undermining your attempts to actually get better at it. Which way, in those that you listed, did you feel more comfortable with?

What I mean by "starting from the beginning" is go through the text and see what keywords, or buzzwords, that you can find. Emotive words such as "always", "never", "proven" etc can often point you in the right direction. The language they use in the questions is key to comprehending the argument behind it.

If I may ask, when is your UKCAT scheduled for?

Kind regards,
UniAdmissions
Reply 2
Original post by UniAdmissions
Good afternoon Papajani1234,

I'm sorry that you're frustrated, perhaps the best thing for you to do is start from the beginning and work your way up to the skim reading to answer. Your frustration with this section may be undermining your attempts to actually get better at it. Which way, in those that you listed, did you feel more comfortable with?

What I mean by "starting from the beginning" is go through the text and see what keywords, or buzzwords, that you can find. Emotive words such as "always", "never", "proven" etc can often point you in the right direction. The language they use in the questions is key to comprehending the argument behind it.

If I may ask, when is your UKCAT scheduled for?

Kind regards,
UniAdmissions

thanks for your reply, my test is on the 15th of September
Original post by papajani1234
thanks for your reply, my test is on the 15th of September

You're most welcome! So you have a good 3/4 weeks to practice working on your verbal reasoning? That's great. How are you coping with the other sections of the test? If you're comfortable with the outcome of those sections, I would concentrate your time on the verbal reasoning.

Start by reading them slowly, picking out the keywords/etc. as I suggested and considering the information it provides, keep doing this until you are quicker at picking out the keywords. You can do this by considering the words in the questions too - what are the keywords there? Then you can skim for the answers that you'll need.

Feel free to drop us an inbox message for further advice,

Best wishes,
UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending