The Student Room Group

Is physics A level actually that hard?

I'm going to be choosing my a levels soon and im undecided on whether to do physics.

I think I'm pretty good at physics, I'm one of the best in my class and got A* for my year 10 mocks and expected A* for my actual exams. It's just one of those subjects I find easy.

But I also find it a bit boring, the only part I actually really love is when we study space etc. And that's the only thing that keeps me loving physics.

So I don't know if I should take it for a level. I've heard people say it's super easy but others say it's one of the hardest a levels?

I hate maths and although I'm okay at it, I don't know if I'm nearly good enough to do a level.

Scroll to see replies

It is very easy. There is no space in as but there is in a2. Chemistry is the hard subject
It IS one of the hardest A levels.
Reply 3
I do chemistry, which I find the easiest science at a-level. Just finished my as levels, and thinking of picking up as physics in year13. Physics IS in the top 3 hardest with maths and Chem, an if you don't like maths then really is physics for you? Plus from what I've heard, there's nothing concerning 'space' topics in a level (as anyway) it's more mechanics electricity and particle physics etc..
Original post by randomteenx
I'm going to be choosing my a levels soon and im undecided on whether to do physics.

I think I'm pretty good at physics, I'm one of the best in my class and got A* for my year 10 mocks and expected A* for my actual exams. It's just one of those subjects I find easy.

But I also find it a bit boring, the only part I actually really love is when we study space etc. And that's the only thing that keeps me loving physics.

So I don't know if I should take it for a level. I've heard people say it's super easy but others say it's one of the hardest a levels?

I hate maths and although I'm okay at it, I don't know if I'm nearly good enough to do a level.

I reevaluated my life when I saw A2 physics and was glad that I dropped it after AS. In my school only one person managed to get A* and the majority got B's (a couple A's)
Reply 5

I got 292/300 UMS in GCSE physics(excluding ISA) and I started off AS physics with an E in my first test, so there is a big jump in difficulty, however I do think some people naturally grasp the concepts more quickly than others so there isnt a definitive answer on difficulty.
But the thing with physics is that it is easy to improve if you put enough effort into it. I ended up with an A at AS(with some help from the low grade boundaries).
Space is only covered in A2.

Whoever said its super easy is most likely lying and deceiving you.
The hardest A levels are generally considered to be Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, Physics and History.
The exams can be prepared for just like any other, you don't need much understanding until A2.

The only problem I encountered was the practical exams because they were so annoyingly frustrating and the mark schemes are ridiculously specific. But I believe they are getting rid of them this year.
Reply 8
AS physics is not that difficult. That said there are new concepts so it may take some time to get used to them. You don't need to be amazing at Maths either especially for AS Physics. I would definitely recommend taking A-Level maths if your thinking about doing A2 Physics. A2 Physics is a lot more difficult than AS physics and is more involved. I found AS quite easy but A2 Physics the most difficult.
Reply 9
Original post by alevelstresss
The exams can be prepared for just like any other, you don't need much understanding until A2.

The only problem I encountered was the practical exams because they were so annoyingly frustrating and the mark schemes are ridiculously specific. But I believe they are getting rid of them this year.

Really?

First they remove the mathematics, then the practical aspects... there will be nothing but colouring in soon...
Reply 10
Original post by tcameron
The hardest A levels are generally considered to be Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, Physics and History.

There are many people on this site that would say maths and further maths are the easiest A levels.
A level physics is very doable but can get quite tricky in A2 when it gets to stuff like electromagnetic fields and radiation etc.

However, I would definitely recommend you doing it if you're thinking about it because it gets very interesting at A Level. But just a word of warning, it really is far more difficult than GCSE physics. Some people will struggle, so when you get there, take it seriously from day one and consistently put the hours in!

I'd say give it a shot, it's worth a try at least. You can drop it in the first few weeks if you feel like it isn't for you.

The space topics doesn't really come up until you start A2. Though you might like Particle Physics as it's one of the first topics and it's relation to space is quite cool.
However, whilst the content might be easy to understand. The exams its self are quite difficult. :redface:

Andd with your maths, as long as you are confident in rearranging equations, simultaneous equations, manipulating and applying formulae you should be fine. Just keep practising as you go progress through the year.
Original post by B_9710
There are many people on this site that would say maths and further maths are the easiest A levels.

Maths is one of those subjects where if people are naturally gifted at the principles of it, they do well and find it straight forward, most people aren't though
Reply 14
Maths is one of those subjects where if people are naturally gifted at the principles of it, they do well and find it straight forward, most people aren't though

The principles of mathematics A-level was developed the countless hours of work by some very great minds. No 17 year-old will ever independently re-invent calculus, there is no such 'gift'. Success at A-level maths (or physics, for that matter) comes down to having a good learning approach, confidence and persistence in problem solving and hard work.

To say it's gifted has two negative outcomes: it does not give enough reward for hard work, and it convinces those who might otherwise work hard that they shouldn't bother.
Reply 15
Yes, It will give you suicidal thoughts...no joke...i did for AS and often contemplated "Do i really need to go to lesson today".
I didn't think it was too bad in comparison to Chemistry. I found it very dull though, physics at university is a lot better.
Original post by Plagioclase
I didn't think it was too bad in comparison to Chemistry. I found it very dull though, physics at university is a lot better.

Yeah I kept on hearing that people found Chemistry harder than Physics.

Physics at AS requires you to apply your knowledge to different contexts. So if you're good at problem solving then yes go for it. However it IS NOT an EASY A Level

PS - I'm going to move onto A2 with Chemistry instead of Physics to maximise my chances of a high grade in my 3rd A Level
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19

lol @ maths and further maths being hard. They're so easy that top universities need other tests to differentiate candidates for maths degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest