The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MansB
Which universities should I look at?

Go away and look at some admissions documents, everyone has to do some research for themselves rather than expecting the kind and helpful people on here to do it all for them.

Have to say your IB is great. As a starting point avoid UKCAT heavy universities such as manchester, newcastle, glasgow, southampton, plymouth and exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kings_queens
yeah I did, was a shock to me. When i read my results I kept having to add them up and divide by 3 over and over again to make sure i was reading my average correct! (they do not give you your average or total on the results sheet)

I didn't bother doing 6 because I wanted to complete as much as medify as I could and like i said i hated the fact you couldn't use shortcuts.

What kind of patterns were there in AR? Were there multiple relationships or were they mainly simple patterns(e.g one contains right angles other set doesnt).
Reply 2882
Original post by Natalierm2707
Go away and look at some admissions documents, everyone has to do some research for themselves rather than expecting the kind and helpful people on here to do it all for them.

Have to say your IB is great. As a starting point avoid UKCAT heavy universities such as manchester, newcastle, glasgow, southampton, plymouth and exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok I get it, but do I have a chance of getting into a medschool?
Original post by MansB
Ok I get it, but do I have a chance of getting into a medschool?

Of course you have a chance your IB is outstanding and your UKCAT isnt below average, it is exactly average at 630 so its not the end of the road.

Like i said ukcat heavy medschools are a no no, as are some others such as SGUL and edinburgh where you are unlikely to get an interview based on previous scores required.

Try to look for medical schools which dont use the UKCAT very heavily, yor academics will make up for a low UKCAT at these. So look at birmingham, sheffield, cardiff, bristol and also try some BMAT universities. Hope this helps but please do not come on here without having done any research yourself as its much harder for us to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pra99
What kind of patterns were there in AR? Were there multiple relationships or were they mainly simple patterns(e.g one contains right angles other set doesnt).

well I can't really answer as you don't get to see the answers, but as I was going through i saw mainly simple and a few multiple ( in my own opinon)
Original post by Pra99
wow, so you got about 100 more points in the real exam? Also, do you remember what score you got in Kaplan test 6 because I did unusually well in that.

I got 747 in Kaplan mock 6, so yh unusually high compared to the 700 score I got in mocks 1-5. I'm still doing better on medify mocks though, with an average of 740 (probably because keyboard shortcuts actually work :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MoshBosh
I got 747 in Kaplan mock 6, so yh unusually high compared to the 700 score I got in mocks 1-5. I'm still doing better on medify mocks though, with an average of 750 (probably because keyboard shortcuts actually work :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What score did you get in Medify 3 though, because I only got 673 on that whereas i got 723 and 743 on 1 and 2.
What are some tips to speed up in QR?
Original post by Pra99
What score did you get in Medify 3 though, because I only got 673 on that whereas i got 723 and 743 on 1 and 2.

Medify 1 - 723 (VR:800 QR:670 AR:700)
Medify 2 - 753 (VR:800 QR:730 AR:730)
Medify 3 - 750 (VR:650 QR:750 AR:850)
(edited 7 years ago)
What did people get on UKCAT C? I seem to have gotten 703.7 which I'm elated and surprised about! But It may just be that it was an easy exam?
Does anyone have any advice for the abstract reasoning ? I keep missing the patterns and end up guessing for a lot of them, especially because of the time constraint...
Original post by studentsixth
What did people get on UKCAT C? I seem to have gotten 703.7 which I'm elated and surprised about! But It may just be that it was an easy exam?

have you done kaplan 6
Reply 2892
Guys what tips would you have for quantitative reasoning as I can barely finish half of the questions in the time allocated on the mocks.
Hi guys,

I took my UKCAT in June, and to put you all at ease, I probably won't be high enough to be a competitor!

I scored:
Verbal reasoning: 580
Quantitative reasoning: 720
Abstract reasoning: 620
Situational Judgement: Band 1

How does that compare with you guys?

Thanks!
Chris
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MansB
Guys I did my UKCAT today. I did worse and I panicked during my exam. Please help me with some advise on where I can apply.
I got 5A* 3As and 1B in GCSEs.

My UKCAT score: 590 VR, 720 QR, 580 AR.

SJT: Band 2

I am predicted 40 points in IB. PLEASE HELP. I AM SO SAD :frown:

630 is average, so its not that bad. What scores were you getting in your mocks?
Should I buy 2016 edition of the UKCAT book when I already have the 2015 edition?
Also I'm thinking of getting a medify course, I did last year and found it useful but I wanted to know if there's any other good course out there
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ebro16
Guys what tips would you have for quantitative reasoning as I can barely finish half of the questions in the time allocated on the mocks.

I wouldn't worry too much about finishing it perfectly. If everyone had the time they needed to do the questions well, then there would be no point in the section.

* try to see if you can just look at the question and make an educated guess. if you looked at the sequence 100 200 350 300 120, you would know the average would be around the 200-220 mark, given the option, right? This saves heaps of time.

I didn't finish the section properly, and by the end i was just clicking through to make sure I answered them all, and I scored far above average.

You'll be fine kiddo, just don't panic.

Good luck!
Original post by Amedic
Did the UKCAT this year and found Verbal Reasoning the most challenging out of the sections!

what would you say makes it challenging, is it the context or the length of the text or the timing or type of questions or...?
I'm taking the UKCAT on the 6th of September... which are the best resourses to use with two weeks left? I'm currently using the 1000Q and the kaplan book. Should I subscribe to Medify? Does it help?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by te.lope
what would you say makes it challenging, is it the context or the length of the text or the timing or type of questions or...?

Texts are quite long unfortunately

Quick Reply