The Student Room Group

I started dating my friend. I'm not sure where to go from here..

Ok so a month ago my friend told me he liked me. I honestly hadn't looked at him as more than a friend before this. Since then we've spent alot more time together and we've been on one date so far. It was honestly a lovely day he was so sweet for the entire day and surprisingly there was no awkwardness. I am quite a shy person but for some reason I didn't feel uncomfortable with any of the public displays of affection - it was very unlike me.

I had a little accident on the date and he was very attentive and offered to carry me for a bit etc. At the end of the night he didn't want me to go home.

Overall we get on really well and I think he's quite cute now (he calls me cute every other day). We talk everyday without fail, I've seen a complete different side to him.

I honestly haven't thought to myself what will happen if it doesn't work out because I feel like we will probably still be able to be friends. I just kind of question alot of things with him. Like I'm not at all turned off by him, I've caught myself thinking about sex when I'm around him and all sorts. I'm just wondering if i really do like him because I don't feel butterflies like I did with other guys I've dated. I think about him alot but that could be down to the fact we talk all the time.

In the past he's asked out people i know too, so this has made me wonder if I'm possibly second best and if he would have chosen them over me given the opportunity.

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this or not. How can i be sure? I feel like maybe i should give it some more time...
Reply 1
Thank you. Do you plan on asking her where you stand? Do you starting to like her as more than a friend?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so a month ago my friend told me he liked me. I honestly hadn't looked at him as more than a friend before this. Since then we've spent alot more time together and we've been on one date so far. It was honestly a lovely day he was so sweet for the entire day and surprisingly there was no awkwardness. I am quite a shy person but for some reason I didn't feel uncomfortable with any of the public displays of affection - it was very unlike me.

I had a little accident on the date and he was very attentive and offered to carry me for a bit etc. At the end of the night he didn't want me to go home.

Overall we get on really well and I think he's quite cute now (he calls me cute every other day). We talk everyday without fail, I've seen a complete different side to him.

I honestly haven't thought to myself what will happen if it doesn't work out because I feel like we will probably still be able to be friends. I just kind of question alot of things with him. Like I'm not at all turned off by him, I've caught myself thinking about sex when I'm around him and all sorts. I'm just wondering if i really do like him because I don't feel butterflies like I did with other guys I've dated. I think about him alot but that could be down to the fact we talk all the time.

In the past he's asked out people i know too, so this has made me wonder if I'm possibly second best and if he would have chosen them over me given the opportunity.

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this or not. How can i be sure? I feel like maybe i should give it some more time...

You are over thinking this. Butterflies doesn't mean anything I have had a few crushes and never got butterflies in my stomach. Also just because someone asks someone out before you doesn't mean you are second best, its likes saying George Bush is better than Obama because he was president before him :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
You are over thinking this. Butterflies doesn't mean anything I have had a few crushes and never got butterflies in my stomach. Also just because someone asks someone out before you doesn't mean you are second best, its likes saying George Bush is better than Obama because he was president before him :biggrin:

Haha thanks for that. Its very true. Tbh he asked me out a long time ago, however i was seeing someoneelse. There's definitely some sort of tension building between us which wasn't there before.
Reply 4
Original post by LDS16
I was thinking about this this morning, as I didn't know where I stood. She ended up texting me a long message explaining how she really likes me but hasn't moved on from her ex, and doesn't feel like she can make me happy. entirely her choice, of course. Yeah I'm a bit upset but really I knew it couldn't last between us, I'm moving on. This doesn't mean it won't work out for you if you want it to

Ah sorry to hear that. Are you going to continue as you were or are you going to need some time apart from her?
Reply 5
Original post by Foo.mp3
If there isn't chemistry there from the start then typically it's foolish to proceed. They've either got it or they ain't.. :bandit:

When I met him he had a girlfriend so I didn't know him all that well. When he asked me out years ago I was seeing someone else and up to a month ago I had no clue he was still interested in me. I hadn't spent time with him outside of work until recently and I've grown very fond of him. There is definitely some tension building between, so I disagree with you here. I've always known that he was a good guy.

Quick Reply

Latest