The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eden00
Thanks for the reply! So would it be possible to make my application even stronger with high UMS and high predicted? As well as showing a true passion for the subject in my personal statement and things?

That's great to hear as those are my exact subjects! Would you say that doing those four subjects all the way to a2 would give a benefit for the application instead of dropping physics for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no need to do four subjects to A Level for History (or any humanities subject). We'd much rather see you do really well in three subjects than quite well in four. If you want to cary on Physics then do so but dont do it for us.

The better you do in Year 12 the better your chances will be of a successful application.
@Hjortlund I didn't say Christ's had a different style of interview particularly but different colleges have slightly different styles and I didn't like the look of some other colleges' interview style. All colleges interviews are similar in that they test your academic ability etc, just a bit different format!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Annaleb123
Hello there,
I have just taken a year out from education and wish to apply for 2017 entry to a humanities/arts course. The problem is that I only have one A level result I am happy with (A* eng. lit.), and so I am taking fast track one year a level courses in the next year in humanities subjects. I am looking for your opinion on whether I should take two or three a levels to make my application have the best chance of succeeding? Also, just as some additional info., I will be 21 before October 2017 so classify as a mature student. I have tried Lucy cavendish thread but haven't received a reply so your advice would be very helpful. 😃

It's difficult to be sure as this sort of case doesn't come across the desk of an AT of a standard aged college very much. I would think though that two would probably be enough. You dont want to over load yourself in one year. Email the admissions offices of a couple of the other mature colleges and they will respond.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I suppose it depends on the subject you're applying for and what the B is in but it's not necessarily a big disadvantage. Plenty of people at Cambridge have AAAB at AS Level. there are also people, here on TSR as well, at Cambridge with AABB at AS Level (mainly in the Humanities).

Thanks
Original post by C0balt
@Hjortlund I didn't say Christ's had a different style of interview particularly but different colleges have slightly different styles and I didn't like the look of some other colleges' interview style. All colleges interviews are similar in that they test your academic ability etc, just a bit different format!

Ah sorry! I'll edit my post. :wink:
All the average UMS for successful and unsuccessul applicants in each subject under the old system can be found here.

I'd forgotten about that analysis! :smile:

Oh well, shame there's not much UMS any more...
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi!! I was thinking of applying to cambridge for Natural ScienceMy GCSE were 5A* and 5A grades. At AS however I underperformed despite getting straight A's all the way through the year in my best 3 and ended up with:
A- BiologyB- MathsC- Chemistry (which was shocking as I am chemistry ambassador for my sixth form due to my passion for the subject and my talent for it, I have never had anything less than an A in the subject before. My paper may be getting remarked however as I am only a couple of marks away from a B)D- Physics (which I don't need for my degree in biological sciences and my teacher left in March so I taught myself)

My predicted grades are A*A*A still because my AS grades do not carry over to next year due to the reformed A-Level and I know I have the capability of doing this. As it is my final A-Level grades which count towards my university offer and I am more than capable of achieving my predicted grades, Is it still worth applying???
Hi,
Thanks for starting this thread.
I am looking at applying for an MPhil in Engineering (starting 2018).
I was wondering what the whole admissions process is like for MPhils at Cambridge. Do we have to suggest a research topic? Contact our supervisor? What are the main factors which come into play when giving an offer?
I have finished my first year with an 85% average in ChemEng at UCL. Do faculty prizes/contributions also come into play? I recently received a prize for my results and interned in my department for the summer.
Thanks!
Original post by jneill
I'd forgotten about that analysis! :smile:

Oh well, shame there's not much UMS any more...

It's both interesting and unsurprising at the same time!
Hi, I've just come across this forum, thank you for being here :smile:

A question for you please. I would love to apply to Cambridge for Spanish and Latin. My AS UMSs are Spanish 200/200, Maths 298/300, French 195/200 and Latin 185/200.

I've heard that these combined courses are harder to get into generally than straight MML or classics or whatever. In the light of this, will it count against me that Latin was my lowest UMS despite it being a subject I want to study at university?? I know it's really important to choose a course that matches your academic profile, but I really really want to include the Latin!

Very grateful for any advice...
Original post by Hjortlund
Ah sorry! I'll edit my post. :wink:

Well sorry that I wasn't very clear in what I was saying initially :tongue:
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Hi,
Thanks for starting this thread.
I am looking at applying for an MPhil in Engineering (starting 2018).
I was wondering what the whole admissions process is like for MPhils at Cambridge. Do we have to suggest a research topic? Contact our supervisor? What are the main factors which come into play when giving an offer?
I have finished my first year with an 85% average in ChemEng at UCL. Do faculty prizes/contributions also come into play? I recently received a prize for my results and interned in my department for the summer.
Thanks!

This forum is mainly for Cambridge undergraduate applications.
There's a separate forum for postgraduate application in TSR but I think you get most accurate and reliable info and advice from the admission office of engineering department at Cambridge.
You can find the contact details on their website.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello again! I've currently been reconsidering my choice of college, and been thinking about Christ's. Any chance you could post some pros/cons about choosing Christ's, seeing as you work there? :smile:

Also, I have a few specific questions as an applicant from Denmark. I know that Cambridge states an overall average of 11 and grades of 12 in relevant subjects as the typical offer for Danish applicants, but I've been told it can vary from college to college. I'm wondering if you could give some specific data on typical offers for Danish applicants from Christ's? Also, when considering Danish applicants, do you consider the weighted or unweighted average? On my final certificate I currently have an unweighted average of 11.1 with the weighted average being 11.8, due to a modifier of 1.06 because I have had 5 A level subjects (physics, maths, danish, english, design and production electricity).

@C0balt mentioned that Christ's had a slightly different format of interview in comparison to other colleges. Any chance you could elaborate on that? As far as I can see from the college site, the interviews consist of two subject based interviews. If I have plans of studying physics, could I risk being interviewed in chemistry? I've only had chemistry at B level, and it's almost been 1.5 years since I last had the subject, so that would disadvantage me quite a bit in the interview.Sorry for the huge amount of questions, and thanks in advance! :smile:

I'll try to be objective in our strengths and weaknesses! :smile:

We have a great location in the centre of town, a bit off the main tourist track but closer to the shops, cinemas and clubs. The college site is pretty big so all the first and third years and half the second years are on site and the rest of the 2nd years are just two streets away. It helps the sense of community and makes everyone feel part of the college all year round.

It's on the small size of medium so you aren't going to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of students but some may feel it's a bit too small for them. We tend to be a little more than 50% Science which can be a strength or weakness depending on your point of view. That said, we still have loads of humanities students and they do very well. Christ's is a pretty academic college.

Negatives? Well, we're quite a long way (relatively speaking) from the Sidgwick Site where all the humanities departments are based and from DAMTP (Maths) and the West Cambridge Site but then so are a lot of colleges. Some of the rooms near the street can be quite loud but most are not. Christ's food doesn't have a great reputation which I think is a bit unfair. It's formal is not great because it happens frequently unlike other colleges where it's more of a special occasion but the day to day fare is absolutely fine and good value.

We've taken quite a few Danes in recent years but all happen to have been doing A Levels or IBs. We'd ask for the weighted average and possibly two 12s in Maths and Physics. At Christ's we ask students if they are more interested in Physics or Chemistry and tailor the interviews accordingly, downplaying Chemistry is the case of the former. I hope that helps.
I am afraid that your grades are not viable for an application to Cambridge. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging.

Could I apply maybe for 2017 with my a levels?
These are all good things in preparation. I can't speak about Imperial but for us just practice your Maths and have a look at he sample CSAT for Computer Science.

This mean I will be able to get an interview at Cambridge with these "pros" ?
I'll try to be objective in our strengths and weaknesses! :smile:

We have a great location in the centre of town, a bit off the main tourist track but closer to the shops, cinemas and clubs. The college site is pretty big so all the first and third years and half the second years are on site and the rest of the 2nd years are just two streets away. It helps the sense of community and makes everyone feel part of the college all year round.

It's on the small size of medium so you aren't going to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of students but some may feel it's a bit too small for them. We tend to be a little more than 50% Science which can be a strength or weakness depending on your point of view. That said, we still have loads of humanities students and they do very well. Christ's is a pretty academic college.

Negatives? Well, we're quite a long way (relatively speaking) from the Sidgwick Site where all the humanities departments are based and from DAMTP (Maths) and the West Cambridge Site but then so are a lot of colleges. Some of the rooms near the street can be quite loud but most are not. Christ's food doesn't have a great reputation which I think is a bit unfair. It's formal is not great because it happens frequently unlike other colleges where it's more of a special occasion but the day to day fare is absolutely fine and good value.

We've taken quite a few Danes in recent years but all happen to have been doing A Levels or IBs. We'd ask for the weighted average and possibly two 12s in Maths and Physics. At Christ's we ask students if they are more interested in Physics or Chemistry and tailor the interviews accordingly, downplaying Chemistry is the case of the former. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the answer! I'd say that the negatives aren't too bad, and I'm used to noise due to living in the center of a city. :smile:

Would the fact that I've taken the Higher Technical Examination (HTX) instead of A Levels or IBs disadvantage me in any way? The 12s won't be a problem as I've already got them. :wink:
I'm not sure if I mentioned it in one of my earlier questions or not, but from September and until November I will be taking courses at Copenhagen University, that are the equivalent of the first quarter of their physics undergrad. Would an offer possibly require a specific grade in these courses?
Also when you say downplayed, how much if any chemistry would there be in the interview? I can understand if you can't answer that question, though.
Original post by chemari
Could I apply maybe for 2017 with my a levels?

As long as you meet the minimum entry requirements of A*A*A for Engineering, then it is worth an application.
x

Where should we put the UMS for our AS levels on UCAS?
I'll try to be objective in our strengths and weaknesses! :smile:........

Just checking...just in case :tongue:

Ummmm.... Not too bad, :biggrin:......especially on the account of food. :tongue:

.....though I must address that you may not be in the deepest midst of the main tourist track, you're right next to the main shoppers' track, so it can get quite busy during lunch times & late in the afternoon on weekdays and all day weekends.
But thanks to the proxmity to main shopping area of Cambridge, it's quite handy to pop in to one of the shops nearby if you need to buy something urgently. Especially Sainsbury's, when you realize you've run out of milk when you're just about to have a bowl of cereal. :biggrin:
And local taxi/cab drivers seem to like hanging around right in front of the main gate while they're waiting for a call from customers. :wink:

Thanks for the answer! I'd say that the negatives aren't too bad, and I'm used to noise due to living in the center of a city. :smile:....

Christ's is a lovely college. I'm sure you'll enjoy there if you get a place.

.....though all colleges are lovely. Whereever you end up, you'll love it. I've known many Cambridge students, but never met anyone who doesn't think their college is the best or anyone who wish they'd been at other college.
So don't worry and spend too much time worrying about which college to choose. Honestly. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Where should we put the UMS for our AS levels on UCAS?

You don't. You only put UMS on the Cambridge SAQ.

UCAS just needs your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending