The Student Room Group

Please help with advice; brother has College & Uni offers but is unsure what to do.

Okay the situation is this; my brother is 18 and finished high school June 2016. He had been offered places at both college and university. One offer for Glasgow Uni, Civil Engineering, one offer for HND Mechanical Engineering at a city college ,and a third offer for Strathclyde Civil Engineering (which he did not fulfill conditional requirements for post exam results.

He has the remaining two offers from Glasgow Uni and college. He has expressed uncertainty at which to attend, as he is worried about not enjoying the course a year or two in at uni. He has now said that he will attend college.

Ultimately, this is his choice but I think he is making a mistake. I feel a degree in Engineering will hold more weight that a HND, he may not get the offer to re-enter a degree at uni and I have reassured him he can change the type of Engineering he is studying at the uni, as per their website prospectus.

Some of you may have degrees in Engineering, some of you may be completing some form of study in the field or have a knowledge of such. I would be grateful if anyone had any advice or thoughts on the matter.
Is there a uni he wants to join or a course he would really like to do? Why not resit in the hope of getting onto one of those.

He can also top up his HND to a degree, so he doesnt have to lose out.

He should o to a place he wnats to and study the course he will enjoy. His choice.
Original post by kittylorelli
Okay the situation is this; my brother is 18 and finished high school June 2016. He had been offered places at both college and university. One offer for Glasgow Uni, Civil Engineering, one offer for HND Mechanical Engineering at a city college ,and a third offer for Strathclyde Civil Engineering (which he did not fulfill conditional requirements for post exam results.

He has the remaining two offers from Glasgow Uni and college. He has expressed uncertainty at which to attend, as he is worried about not enjoying the course a year or two in at uni. He has now said that he will attend college.

Ultimately, this is his choice but I think he is making a mistake. I feel a degree in Engineering will hold more weight that a HND, he may not get the offer to re-enter a degree at uni and I have reassured him he can change the type of Engineering he is studying at the uni, as per their website prospectus.

Some of you may have degrees in Engineering, some of you may be completing some form of study in the field or have a knowledge of such. I would be grateful if anyone had any advice or thoughts on the matter.

If you take an HND you can top it up to a full degree (BEng or MEng).

Ultimately it is up to him to decide, and he's got to decide what's best for him. University isn't for everyone.
Original post by kittylorelli
I would be grateful if anyone had any advice or thoughts on the matter.

Hi there,

As both have said before me, he should choose what he's happiest doing. If he has doubts about going to university, college is a great way to see what the classes are like and you can further your education after the HND if needed.

If he has any questions about the engineering department or life at Glasgow then do let me know!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest