The Student Room Group

Bad GCSEs, good A- level/ Level 3 grades- will I get offers from uni??

Hi,
When I was at school I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my Gcses. Therefore I left with the following GCSEs

GCSE English C
Btec science Pass
Btec IT Pass
Btec Sport Pass

After realising I messed up, I went on to retaking my GCSE maths and ended up getting a grade C for maths.

My current GCSEs are 2Cs (English and maths) and 3 passes(Btec)

Because I now had English and maths at grade C I was accepted onto a level 3 extended diploma in Engineering and I am predicted D* D* D* ( distinctions in both maths units). I am also doing many extra curricular activities such as Summer school, EPQ and also volunteering at a mechanical engineering place.

My question is, wil unis such as University of Nottingham , Birmingham and aston still consider me even with really poor GCSEs. However I do exceed their A level/ level 3 requirements ? Please help I'm reall worried😟😞I want to do the Beng in Mechcanical engineering.
Original post by Azizul98
Hi,
When I was at school I was really lazy and did not know the consiqunces of failing my Gcses. Therefore I left with the following GCSEs

GCSE English C
Btec science Pass
Btec IT Pass
Btec Sport Pass

After realising I messed up, I went on to retaking my GCSE maths and ended up getting a grade C for maths.

Because I now had English and maths at grade C I was accepted onto a level 3 extended diploma in Engineering and I am predicted D* D* D* ( distinctions in both maths units). I am also doing many extra curricular activities such as Summer school, EPQ and also volunteering at a mechanical engineering place.

My question is, wil unis such as University of Nottingham , Birmingham and aston still consider me even with really poor GCSEs. However I do exceed their A level/ level 3 requirements ? Please help I'm reall worried😟😞I want to do the Beng in Mechcanical engineering.

Most universities do not look into gcses unless its for degrees such as dentistry, medicine etc. Have you tried checking the university's website? They usually have a small section on gcses. There are usually sections regarding a levels and BTECs which indicate whether they take applicants with BTECs. Most applicants for engineering degrees have a levels in maths physics further maths etc. So you would have to check the universitys course entry requirements. I know most universities offer applicants with BTECs as long as you have steady distinctions throughout the course.
Hope this helps.😀
Hi,

GCSE English C
Btec science Pass
Btec IT Pass
Btec Sport Pass

What courses are you going for? Unless it's a very competitive course, they likely won't look at your GCSEs too much, provided you have the required GCSE grades, which should be specified on the website. There, you'll also find information about what specific grades you need on your BTEC, if they are accepted for that course. I'm also unsure if 3 passes at BTEC is viewed the same as 3 good passes at GCSE. Again, I would take a look at the university's entry requirements for that.
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
What courses are you going for? Unless it's a very competitive course, they likely won't look at your GCSEs too much, provided you have the required GCSE grades, which should be specified on the website. There, you'll also find information about what specific grades you need on your BTEC, if they are accepted for that course. I'm also unsure if 3 passes at BTEC is viewed the same as 3 good passes at GCSE. Again, I would take a look at the university's entry requirements for that.

I want to do Beng mechanical engineering....not sure if that's a competitive course? I have checked unis websites and ucas and they all seem to say I need English and maths at grade C which I have. However I only meet their minimum requirements and therefore I'm just a bit worried they might reject me
I want to do Beng mechanical engineering....not sure if that's a competitive course? I have checked unis websites and ucas and they all seem to say I need English and maths at grade C which I have. However I only meet their minimum requirements and therefore I'm just a bit worried they might reject me

Then that should be fine then! Does it say anything about BTEC requirements?
Reply 5
Original post by Jamiemcq17
Most universities do not look into gcses unless its for degrees such as dentistry, medicine etc. Have you tried checking the university's website? They usually have a small section on gcses. There are usually sections regarding a levels and BTECs which indicate whether they take applicants with BTECs. Most applicants for engineering degrees have a levels in maths physics further maths etc. So you would have to check the universitys course entry requirements. I know most universities offer applicants with BTECs as long as you have steady distinctions throughout the course.
Hope this helps.😀

Yeah I am predicted D* D* D* (triple distinction star) with distinctions in both maths units. I'm mainly worried for my GCSEs as they only meet the minimum requirements for the unis I want to go to.
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
Then that should be fine then! Does it say anything about BTEC requirements?

Yeah, for the university of Notingham they want D* DD and distinctions in both maths units

UOB want D* D* D*

I want to get into one of those unis 😊
Reply 7
Yeah I am predicted D* D* D* (triple distinction star) with distinctions in both maths units. I'm mainly worried for my GCSEs as they only meet the minimum requirements for the unis I want to go to.

I doubt you have anything to worry about. As long as you have a good personal statement along with your predicted D*D*D* then you should be fine. Also, Mechanical Engineering is not a competitive course in the least bit.
Yeah, for the university of Notingham they want D* DD and distinctions in both maths units

UOB want D* D* D*

I want to get into one of those unis 😊

That'll be fine then! Good luck on achieving that prediction! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest