The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retropattern
Look yeah if you think my point is rubbish, fine, cause i think your whole outlook is rubbish. How the heck do you know anything about people before religion, and i never said you couldn't live a decent life as an atheist. And there you go again 'ancient book telling you to'. You have no idea about what some religions are like, i'm pretty sure you never took the time to read into a religion without the use of the internet. You don't just bloody follow a book, its more about achieving a spiritual connection with god. Something you probably will never comprehend.

I was calling your statement rubbish. It is demonstrably untrue that all people need religion to live a good life. This can be easily disproven by noticing the plenty of moral atheists that exist. It can also be disproven by using simple logic: religion developed relatively late into our evolution and yet we managed to live cooperatively and well enough to survive as a species until we were mentally advanced enough to create gods and elaborate rituals.

Are you serious? Do you know nothing of human history? I don't want to seem rude or anything, but our prehistoric history is pretty well documented in many museums etc. And it's obvious that if we had all been murderous, evil scum before religion appeared that we wouldn't have survived long as a species.

Funny how you're making unwarranted assumptions about my knowledge concerning religion just because I don't agree with your points. I used to be religious so I know perfectly well what's it's like and now that I'm not I can see it's totally unnecessary to be a decent human being.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 221
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"- Carl Sagan.

We shouldnt just rule out the possibility of a higher power, when we know next to nothing about the universe.
Original post by Pra99
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"- Carl Sagan.

We shouldnt just rule out the possibility of a higher power, when we know next to nothing about the universe.

And Carl Sagan was right about everything all the time?

Not to mention, there is significant evidence against it whereas there is nothing for it.
Original post by inhuman
Catholics sin all the time.

Why should a confession and ten ave marias absolve them?

Not to mention, how did the poster you just quoted sin? All he said was he doesn't believe you. You replied "no, but because you have sinned". How do you know that? Or even more general, suppose a person hasn't sinned, at all, but does not believe in God. Will he go to hell?

I guess it depends what denomination Paranoid Glitch is. Catholics believe in Original Sin and thus by default everyone is a sinner from birth and there's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Even Christians who don't believe in Original Sin believe that pretty much everyone who has ever lived is a sinner as it's simply in our nature to do evil. Exceptions include Jesus and obviously humans who died extremely young, before they were physically able to sin.
Original post by inhuman
Catholics sin all the time.

Why should a confession and ten ave marias absolve them?

Not to mention, how did the poster you just quoted sin? All he said was he doesn't believe you. You replied "no, but because you have sinned". How do you know that? Or even more general, suppose a person hasn't sinned, at all, but does not believe in God. Will he go to hell?
I will answer this question, but as i have said they can be usually answered by the Bible. Because everyone has sinned, we are all sinners that is what the Bible says. The Bible is the word of God, i trust God and so i believe that what the Bible says is true. Christian or not we all have sinned and still do. The Bible tells people to avoid it but the only way to be entirely relinquished of it is through the grace of God, and the only way to do so is to have FAITH and trust him. It is impossible for someone to not sin. Let me list one of the most common sins, to lie. Do you believe that everyone on Earth (except babies) has never told a lie, i think that is inevitable.
Reply 225
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I was calling your statement rubbish. It is demonstrably untrue that all people need religion to live a good life. This can be easily disproven by noticing the plenty of moral atheists that exist. It can also be disproven by using simple logic: religion develop relatively late into our evolution and yet we managed to live cooperatively and well enough to survive as a species until we were mentally advanced enough to create gods and elaborate rituals.

Are you serious? Do you know nothing of human history? I don't want to seem rude or anything, but our prehistoric history is pretty well documented in many museums etc. And it's obvious that if we had all been murderous, evil scum before religion appeared that we wouldn't have survived long as a species.

Funny how you're making unwarranted assumptions about my knowledge concerning religion just because I don't agree with your points. I used to be religious so I know perfectly well what's it's like and now that I'm not I can see it's totally unnecessary to be a decent human being.

I remember reading on the BBC that scientists recently found a place where rituals were performed after someone had died, and these were dated back to 30000BC and this was the earliest signs of civilisation we have seen. If we go back even further, we will find more.
Reply 226
Original post by inhuman
And Carl Sagan was right about everything all the time?

Not to mention, there is significant evidence against it whereas there is nothing for it.

Then tell me this significant evidence that could rule out a higher power.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I will answer this question, but as i have said they can be usually answered by the Bible. Because everyone has sinned, we are all sinners that is what the Bible says. The Bible is the word of God, i trust God and so i believe that what the Bible says is true. Christian or not we all have sinned and still do. The Bible tells people to avoid it but the only way to be entirely relinquished of it is through the grace of God, and the only way to do so is to have FAITH and trust him. It is impossible for someone to not sin. Let me list one of the most common sins, to lie. Do you believe that everyone on Earth (except babies) has never told a lie, i think that is inevitable.

So you were dishonest.

In this post: we all sin and only those that have faith are relinquished.

In the previous post: "do I go to hell for not believing" - you: "no".

Oh and btw. What a great form of social manipulation:

"hey y'all, you know y'all sinners, and only way you don't burn for eternity after death is following my cult, er religion". No surprise that 2000 years ago when we knew little about the universe and we were more concerned with surviving than thinking about philosophy, that most people would start to follow this cult. And suddenly we have a religion.
I guess it depends what denomination Paranoid Glitch is. Catholics believe in Original Sin and thus by default everyone is a sinner from birth and there's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Even Christians who don't believe in Original Sin believe that pretty much everyone who has ever lived is a sinner as it's simply in our nature to do evil. Exceptions include Jesus and obviously humans who died extremely young, before they were physically able to sin.

What do you believe evil is?
Original post by Pra99
Then tell me this significant evidence that could rule out a higher power.

There is plenty. Almost everything in the Bible is complete and utter bs. Seven days? Humans existed just like that without evolution?

Oh and please spare me whatever latest excuse is trendy to explain away all these things. I already one of them in this thread ("god has a different time than us, to him 7 days is for us x amount of time").
Original post by Pra99
I remember reading on the BBC that scientists recently found a place where rituals were performed after someone had died, and these were dated back to 30000BC and this was the earliest signs of civilisation we have seen. If we go back even further, we will find more.

This is not proof that morals come from religion
Original post by Pra99

Rituals are indeed extremely old, but they don't need to have an intrinsic link to religion, at least not to one in the recognisable sense. It also does nothing to back up the statement that religion is necessary for people to lead decent lives. How would one who believes that answer the religious rituals in history that we would consider horrific, such as human sacrifice?
Astaghfirrula
What do you believe evil is?

I don't believe in objective good and evil because I think it's necessary that we adapt and change our morals to suit the evolution of our ideals and values.
Original post by inhuman
So you were dishonest.

In this post: we all sin and only those that have faith are relinquished.

In the previous post: "do I go to hell for not believing" - you: "no".

Oh and btw. What a great form of social manipulation:

"hey y'all, you know y'all sinners, and only way you don't burn for eternity after death is following my cult, er religion". No surprise that 2000 years ago when we knew little about the universe and we were more concerned with surviving than thinking about philosophy, that most people would start to follow this cult. And suddenly we have a religion.
The "No" was in regard to the fact that people do not go to Hell because of not believing in me, but a lack of faith and trust in God, because for that reason we are separated from him and his grace and are therefore not saved . I believe this was the post.
"Do I deserve to burn in hell for eternity because I don't believe you?"

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."That is what the bible says.
I don't believe in objective good and evil because I think it's necessary that we adapt and change our morals to suit the evolution of our ideals and values.
Hmm. Okay then what would murder be to you?
Hmm. Okay then what would murder be to you?

I consider murder bad, but I admit that it's subjective. I don't believe there is an objective code etched into the fabric of the universe professing murder to be evil.
Reply 237
Original post by inhuman
There is plenty. Almost everything in the Bible is complete and utter bs. Seven days? Humans existed just like that without evolution?

Oh and please spare me whatever latest excuse is trendy to explain away all these things. I already one of them in this thread ("god has a different time than us, to him 7 days is for us x amount of time":wink:.

Just as i suspected, a weak response.
Well I guess the latest trend in disproving God is using the Bible. The Bible is meant to be taken metaphorically, no good literature is written in a way that is easy to be understood by a simpleton.

Oh btw, Christianity isnt the only religion out there.
No but because you have sinned. I can't say i have all the answers but from most of the passages i have read from the Bible, i have concluded it has an answer to almost any question you could ask.

The concept of sin in itself is troubling, that's such a rigid framework that it defeats the point of moral behaviour.
Original post by Rather_Cynical
The concept of sin in itself is troubling, that's such a rigid framework that it defeats the point of moral behaviour.

How so. Most if not all biblical principles coincide with morals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending