The Student Room Group

Terrified for uni, any advice?

Hi, I'm starting uni in September and to put it simply I'm absolutely terrified :frown:
There are days where I do look forward to it but I'm mainly just scared. I'm quite a shy and anxious person who has struggled with having good/close friends throughout sixth form and secondary school, so making friends at uni as well as moving away from my family are probably the biggest worries for me.
Does anyone else feel the same? Or have any of you been in the same situation as me but ending up loving uni?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanksss :smile:
Nice to know I'm not the only one! I'm terrified out of my mind, especially since I'm a EU national so I'll also be leaving my whole family behind. Hopefully everything will turn out fine...
Which uni will you be going to, Emily?
You shouldn't have to feel terrified. I am one of the most shy and anxious people I know and have had fewer difficulties in that regard in university than through all of school and sixth form.
Reply 3
Original post by EleonoraDi
Nice to know I'm not the only one! I'm terrified out of my mind, especially since I'm a EU national so I'll also be leaving my whole family behind. Hopefully everything will turn out fine...
Which uni will you be going to, Emily?

It's such a horrible feeling isn't it! That must be scary :frown: I'm hoping so to! I'm going to Loughborough, you? :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much! This has made me feel a lot better :smile: I'm going to Loughborough, what about you? :smile:
I'll be starting uni this year too and i'm both nervous and excited. Seeing as i'm an international student, it's kind of a scary prospect being in a new environment and all! Maybe try reaching out to current students at your uni? That's what I did and i'm happy to say that they've been so helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmilyLB97
Hi, I'm starting uni in September and to put it simply I'm absolutely terrified :frown:
There are days where I do look forward to it but I'm mainly just scared. I'm quite a shy and anxious person who has struggled with having good/close friends throughout sixth form and secondary school, so making friends at uni as well as moving away from my family are probably the biggest worries for me.
Does anyone else feel the same? Or have any of you been in the same situation as me but ending up loving uni?

Hello :biggrin:

Good news is, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Honestly the majority of students do feel this way as they are about to go to university, I answer a lot of threads like this on a daily basis. I promise you, it is common.

It is a terrifying thought but at the end of the day, it's about getting there and chucking yourself into the university life style and experience, you'll have great fun! I was like it before university but as soon as I was there, I got stuck in and it was soon okay.

Moving away from your family is difficult but you'll get there. It's just about taking the experience full on and just living it. You'll be okay! Making friends is a common worry - you'll make friends with people on your course and there are plenty of social events to help!

Best of luck:smile:
Thank you so much! This has made me feel a lot better :smile: I'm going to Loughborough, what about you? :smile:

Oh, a classmate of mine is going to Loughborough for Political Science, and I can guarantee he's pretty worried too :smile:
I'm going to York, I was super excited until the welcome letter came through, now I'm just scared that I'm going to hate the course or that I'm not going to fit in.
Reply 8

Hey there, congrats on getting into uni :smile:

I am going into my second year of uni in September and like you, I am a really shy/anxious person who lacked proper friends throughout my school time so the thought of going to uni away from the only people I was close to (family) was terrifying. I had a bad experience to start with but it got a lot better when I distanced myself from people who made me feel uncomfortable.

The day came and, not going to lie, I was *****ing myself for freshers haha. I am the type of person who fizzles out in large groups but when I'm with a few people I can actually be really talkative. It took me aaaages to get comfortable around my flatmates because there were just so many big characters and I tended to just stay quiet during conversation because I didn't feel myself around them. I realised that they weren't really people I wanted to be friends with as they weren't the kindest of people and would often pick at how shy I was in a nasty way. I guess I just wasn't comfortable with these people because as time went on, I met other people on my course just like me who were shy and took time to open up and be comfortable and now they are my friends for life.

You, scarily, have to put yourself out there quite confidently in freshers week. During the welcome lectures, sit next to new people each time and just get talking. Even though you're bricking your pants on the inside, the person you're speaking to probably is as well and will be glad someone else is starting the conversation.

Good luck with your experience, I'm sure you'll love it :smile:
Original post by Juuuuh
Hey there, congrats on getting into uni :smile:

I am going into my second year of uni in September and like you, I am a really shy/anxious person who lacked proper friends throughout my school time so the thought of going to uni away from the only people I was close to (family) was terrifying. I had a bad experience to start with but it got a lot better when I distanced myself from people who made me feel uncomfortable.

The day came and, not going to lie, I was *****ing myself for freshers haha. I am the type of person who fizzles out in large groups but when I'm with a few people I can actually be really talkative. It took me aaaages to get comfortable around my flatmates because there were just so many big characters and I tended to just stay quiet during conversation because I didn't feel myself around them. I realised that they weren't really people I wanted to be friends with as they weren't the kindest of people and would often pick at how shy I was in a nasty way. I guess I just wasn't comfortable with these people because as time went on, I met other people on my course just like me who were shy and took time to open up and be comfortable and now they are my friends for life.

You, scarily, have to put yourself out there quite confidently in freshers week. During the welcome lectures, sit next to new people each time and just get talking. Even though you're bricking your pants on the inside, the person you're speaking to probably is as well and will be glad someone else is starting the conversation.

Good luck with your experience, I'm sure you'll love it :smile:

I know this is not exactly the right place to ask but I am really curious to know..can you skip freshers week? Do you actually study anything during that week? I will be moving soon and I want to visit and explore the city than try to converse with people when they barely feel comfortable. I would appreciate any answers on this & I hope no one is angered here.
Reply 10
Original post by alevez2ez
I know this is not exactly the right place to ask but I am really curious to know..can you skip freshers week? Do you actually study anything during that week? I will be moving soon and I want to visit and explore the city than try to converse with people when they barely feel comfortable. I would appreciate any answers on this & I hope no one is angered here.

Hmm, do you mean skip your scheduled sessions or skip the events or just move in when freshers week has finished and your course actually starts properly?

I wouldn't recommend skipping freshers week, just because it is the time when everyone is mingling and also exploring their new city together. Freshers is basically your time to settle in, explore your new surroundings and meet other people in the same, scary position as you.

Just go to whatever events you feel comfortable going to. You want to get a feel for everything and meet some people before you start for good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending