The Student Room Group

Prestigious unis vs non prestigious unis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Wired_1800

The major problem with UK is the starvation of investment. The government believes in an austerity programme that clearly does not work, now they seem to have slightly abandoned it because of Brexit. .

HS2: £80bn
Heathrow's 3rd runway: £18bn
Hinkley Point power station: £20bn
London’s Crossrail Two: £32bn

You can't say the Tories haven't used public money to invest. You can however say that they don't invest above London.
Original post by Josb
HS2: £80bn
Heathrow's 3rd runway: £18bn
Hinkley Point power station: £20bn
London’s Crossrail Two: £32bn

You can't say the Tories haven't used public money to invest. You can however say that they don't invest above London.

Fair enough. The investment isn't in the most deprived places, where there is desperate need for it.
Reply 82
Fair enough. The investment isn't in the most deprived places, where there is desperate need for it.

And HS2 is utterly pointless.

Read this great article if you have the time: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/07/hs2-the-zombie-train-that-refuses-to-die
Original post by Josb
And HS2 is utterly pointless.

Read this great article if you have the time: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/07/hs2-the-zombie-train-that-refuses-to-die

I agree. Imagine the boost 80 Billion will give to poor towns around the country.

If councils ask for money for schools and hospitals, the Government will say that the country is under an austerity programme then throw 80 billion at a dead project.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Excuse me why Spanish? Plenty of other countries host hot women

Literally no one can say anything without offending somebody these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit concerned that I should be considering 'prestige' in my application...

I just got my A level results and am going to apply to do history of art at uni (don't bother telling me its a waste of a degree as I want a top career directly related and will probably go on to do a Masters). However i'm not interested in the top unis for this subject in my league (got A*AA): UCL (too close to home), courtauld institute (not quite the uni experience and expensive) and St Andrews (isolated area) but I'm worried i'm wasting an opportunity to potentially get into one of these and that they'd be more favourable to employers?
Instead i'm thinking about Edinburgh, Birmingham and Glasgow
Original post by LillyB14
I'm a bit concerned that I should be considering 'prestige' in my application...

I just got my A level results and am going to apply to do history of art at uni (don't bother telling me its a waste of a degree as I want a top career directly related and will probably go on to do a Masters). However i'm not interested in the top unis for this subject in my league (got A*AA): UCL (too close to home), courtauld institute (not quite the uni experience and expensive) and St Andrews (isolated area) but I'm worried i'm wasting an opportunity to potentially get into one of these and that they'd be more favourable to employers?

Eh? Those are all great universities..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
I agree. Imagine the boost 80 Billion will give to poor towns around the country.

If councils ask for money for schools and hospitals, the Government will say that the country is under an austerity programme then throw 80 billion at a dead project.

I said elsewhere that 80 billion would be enough to build a subway system in Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow. That would solve the congestion of these cities and create alternative hubs to London.

Spoiler

Reply 88
Original post by LillyB14

You're not exactly going to ex polys...

I suggest to take a look at the museums of these universities/cities, as it would be easier for you to get work experience there.
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Why are people always trying to put you off of non prestigious universities? My friend and family members have all told me to go to a prestigious uni rather than a standard one. Would you say a prestigious uni holds higher teaching and educational standards or not?

You're going to get a lot of differing answers, but the only honest answer is:

It depends.

If you want to cultivate powerful contacts, Oxbridge is your best bet. If research is your goal, aim for a uni that does internationally renowned research in your field. If you're concerned about teaching quality, look for low class sizes and decent student satisfaction results.

If you're planning on working internationally, most universities will not be known internationally. Those that are will carry more weight than those that aren't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
I said elsewhere that 80 billion would be enough to build a subway system in Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow. That would solve the congestion of these cities and create alternative hubs to London.

Spoiler

That is true. I guess it is about economic interests and some people don't want the attention to move away from London by investing in cities like Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow or Birmingham.

2020 should be Labour's year to return and fix the problems left by the Tory Government.
Reply 91
Original post by Gman786
Well do you want a mediocre girlfriend Or a beautiful, curvy, spanish woman who calls u daddy? Both are girls at the end of the day.

Just a simple analogy to put things into perspective.

Si papi.
How prestige is Durham ?
Original post by blessed107
How prestige is Durham ?

lol 'preeesteeeeeeeeejjjj'. But seriously, it's a solid university no point asking how prestigious it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
lol 'preeesteeeeeeeeejjjj'. But seriously, it's a solid university no point asking how prestigious it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would it compare with imperial or Oxbridge
Original post by blessed107
How would it compare with imperial or Oxbridge

Depends on what subject, why you're making the comparison and what you think this comparison will actually achieve in your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending