The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Rabbi stabbed in France, attacker shouts 'Allahu Akhbar'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Deluded enough to believe that a centuries old book is actually the word of god, perfect and immutable in its entirely, at a guess.

After all, both the Old Testament and the Quran are full of passages detailing who god wants killed, and why. As far as the true believer is concerned, who are they to question the word of god?

It's not accurate but let's assume that yes. So, how violent became Jews because of these violent passages? Just several examples from the 3000 year old history. According to your logic it should be something terrible.
Reply 81
Original post by admonit
It's not accurate but let's assume that yes. So, how violent became Jews because of these violent passages? Just several examples from the 3000 year old history. According to your logic it should be something terrible.
Well, the examples from the OT are pretty violent and gruesome. Unfortunately for the Jews, history conspired against them, condemning them to be the continual underdogs and scapegoats. Perhaps because of this, and the necessity to constantly reinvent and reestablish themselves after regular upheaval, Judaism took on a more rational and practical aspect, through embracing education and the ever broadening cultural experiences of the diaspora.

Imagine if expansionist Judaism 3000 years ago had gained and maintained the domains and numbers that Islam did and now has. Things may well have been very different.
Original post by KingBradly
Remember; terrorists are a tiny minority and do not represent all Muslims. However, Jews are all responsible for the conduct of the Israeli government.

Well this is the stance of BDS, given that they lobbied for Jewish performers to be removed from music festivals despite them not being Israeli (just Jewish) and never publicly making announcements in any way, shape or form about politics at all, let alone Israel.
Original post by *Alisha*
LOL

Absolutely disgusting that you are laughing at this, it pisses me off after all the Jewish have given Europe the total lack of empathy they are shown.

The only safe places for a Jew are Israel and America, Europe is finished.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TercioOfParma
I think the funnier thing is the french will put hundreds of IS militants in the ground for this. Talk ****, get hit.

There should be a western policy of expanding operations in response to every incident of terror, I'm not heartless I oppose the killing of innocent Muslims, but each time a terror attack occurs there should be an additional strike on a column of IS militants.

1 dead homosexual = 1 more hellfire missile
(edited 7 years ago)
Just in-case you haven't heard, there was another terrorist attack in Belgium by a woman wearing an Islamic veil screaming "allah akbar" trying to murder people with a machete.

But obviously this has nothing to do with Islam
This is a simplification of what is quite a complicated situation. The issues regarding the Rohingya mostly predate any Islamic insurgencies and jihad.
Original post by QE2
Well, the examples from the OT are pretty violent and gruesome. Unfortunately for the Jews, history conspired against them, condemning them to be the continual underdogs and scapegoats. Perhaps because of this, and the necessity to constantly reinvent and reestablish themselves after regular upheaval, Judaism took on a more rational and practical aspect, through embracing education and the ever broadening cultural experiences of the diaspora.

Imagine if expansionist Judaism 3000 years ago had gained and maintained the domains and numbers that Islam did and now has. Things may well have been very different.

According to Torah, these actions were results of only direct commands of God and it was more than 3000 years ago. After that Jewish kingdoms existed about 1000 years. Now, how many (if any) examples of violent behavior you can find in Old Testament or in history? How many people were stoned to death?
And no, Judaism didn't change its attitude to the scripts. Actually this was the main reason of Christian persecutions. And every religious Jew rereads the "terrible" text of Torah every year.
Original post by Killuminati1989
finally someone finishing off what Hitler (may peace be upon him) started :smile:

Can't tell if this is satire or if you're just some chavvy kid who's salty and jealous he's from a poor, unsuccessful family.
Original post by admonit
According to Torah, these actions were results of only direct commands of God and it was more than 3000 years ago. After that Jewish kingdoms existed about 1000 years. Now, how many (if any) examples of violent behavior you can find in Old Testament or in history? How many people were stoned to death?
And no, Judaism didn't change its attitude to the scripts. Actually this was the main reason of Christian persecutions. And every religious Jew rereads the "terrible" text of Torah every year.

This is quite an odd post, the laws of Moses are not carried about because they are said to be perfect only under the circumstances present during the time they were laid, down which is why Orthodox Jews don't generally have tonnes wives and stone women to death. You're right in a very literal OCD way, but this post the way it's written seems less apologetic for Judaism and more like you're calling for a strike on the Midianites :sly:
Reply 90
Original post by admonit
Are you seriously asking for examples of violence in the OT? I do not remember chapter and verse like I do with the Quran (OT is a tad longer and even more rambly) so I will have to look them up, but I will if I have to, but I won't be happy. I can remember the slaughter of the Canaanites in Deuteronomy though (22 or 23, possibly?) Lots of killing of men, women and children. IIRC, only the lady virgins and cattle were spared (now, that would be some after-party!)
I think there are a couple of stonings related in the OT, but I can't remember them.

My exGF was (probably still is) Jewish. None of her family took the scriptures at all seriously but were still proud of their heritage. There are few Jews today who are fully observant. Changing attitudes.
Original post by QE2
Are you seriously asking for examples of violence in the OT? I do not remember chapter and verse like I do with the Quran (OT is a tad longer and even more rambly) so I will have to look them up, but I will if I have to, but I won't be happy. I can remember the slaughter of the Canaanites in Deuteronomy though (22 or 23, possibly?) Lots of killing of men, women and children. IIRC, only the lady virgins and cattle were spared (now, that would be some after-party!)
I think there are a couple of stonings related in the OT, but I can't remember them.

My exGF was (probably still is) Jewish. None of her family took the scriptures at all seriously but were still proud of their heritage. There are few Jews today who are fully observant. Changing attitudes.

The laws of Moses are believed not to have applied since the destruction of the second temple so whilst an Orthodox Jew would say those laws are perfect he would still be opposed to stoning his daughter to death.

The numbers of religious Jews are absolutely sky rocketing due to birthrates and whilst admonit is right, a face value flick through of the OT won't give you many clues as to how they think.
Original post by The Sexathlete
This is quite an odd post, the laws of Moses are not carried about because they are said to be perfect only under the circumstances present during the time they were laid, down which is why Orthodox Jews don't generally have tonnes wives and stone women to death. You're right in a very literal OCD way, but this post the way it's written seems less apologetic for Judaism and more like you're calling for a strike on the Midianites :sly:

Absolutely wrong. Jews never considered laws of Moses as something temporary. The laws don't command to have "tonnes of wives". The death penalty for breaking of important religious laws may be imposed only by high religious court - Sanhedrin, which doesn't exists already ~2000 years.
Original post by admonit
Absolutely wrong. Jews never considered laws of Moses as something temporary. The laws don't command to have "tonnes of wives". The death penalty for breaking of important religious laws may be imposed only by high religious court - Sanhedrin, which doesn't exists already ~2000 years.

That's my point, the death penalty cannot be applied if the Temple is not standing, certain conditions have to apply.
That's my point, the death penalty cannot be applied if the Temple is not standing, certain conditions have to apply.

May be it is your point, but we discuss violence inspired by religious scripts. I very doubt that extremist Muslims act according to religious court. :cool:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by admonit
May be it is your point, but we discuss violence inspired by religious scripts. I very doubt that extremist Muslims act according to religious court. :cool:

Intriguing :curious:

Does Islam require the existence of a religious court to enact the death penalty? Most Brits for example favour the death penalty, but so long as they don't form vigilante mobs to hang people they don't like it's not much of an issue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Are you seriously asking for examples of violence in the OT?

Yes. From OT or from history.
I do not remember chapter and verse like I do with the Quran (OT is a tad longer and even more rambly) so I will have to look them up, but I will if I have to, but I won't be happy. I can remember the slaughter of the Canaanites in Deuteronomy though (22 or 23, possibly?) Lots of killing of men, women and children. IIRC, only the lady virgins and cattle were spared (now, that would be some after-party!)

I've already explained that actions against the Canaanites are considered as a special case - direct command of God.

Believe me, I know a bit more orthodox Jews than you. :smile:
Intriguing :curious:

Does Islam require the existence of a religious court to enact the death penalty? Most Brits for example favour the death penalty, but so long as they don't form vigilante mobs to hang people they don't like it's not much of an issue.

AFAIK, vigilantism is forbidden in Islam. The severity of the punishment requires that very strict evidence standards must be met before a conviction is found. The Islamic court also has flexibility to order less than the ultimate punishment (for example, imposing fines or prison sentences), on a case-by-case basis.
i swear people just post these headlines on tsr to cause havoc loool
Original post by QE2

My exGF was (probably still is) Jewish.

I knew it! You were contacted by Mossad at one point in your life... you mossad shill :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest