The Student Room Group
Fort William campus
University of the Highlands and Islands

Anybody studying in University of Highlands and Islands?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlotteAMM98
The UHI Guidance Team said they recognised that many students can't afford this and that I should have been told in my Tenancy Agreement but I have been asking for those since April then I got told a few weeks ago I'd get them after exam results, I still haven't but that's cutting it a bit to close

I haven't received any paper work either but ive been told that it will be with me this week but its sure cutting it very close. Tbh its not setting a very good impression of Inverness UHI so im getting a bit worried at what else may happen. idk if your the same but me and a friend have received next to nothing from the college so we have both been phoning and emailing just to try and find out just the basics. Have you received much yourself?
Fort William campus
University of the Highlands and Islands
Reply 61
Original post by Adderlink
Hmm i'm the same, was starting to get a little worried seeing as the course starts in a month and so far have only had a letter from ucas confirming my place! Going to be studying BSc Psychology, you?

Hi,
I am doing PT psychology with UHI, i started last year. I've found that my tutor is a great support 'cos' doing everything on-line can feel isolating and she is a human face. :smile:

I'm a mature student so the whole studying thing is kind of new to me so you may find it easier.

The course it's-self is fun and i'm really enjoying it.
Original post by worthcoronet
I haven't received any paper work either but ive been told that it will be with me this week but its sure cutting it very close. Tbh its not setting a very good impression of Inverness UHI so im getting a bit worried at what else may happen. idk if your the same but me and a friend have received next to nothing from the college so we have both been phoning and emailing just to try and find out just the basics. Have you received much yourself?

Hello, have you received a date at which you enroll? I was informed this morning that I wont get anything further documentation beyond my UCAS letter on track until I physically go to the college campus to matriculate and go through the induction, which is on the 2nd of September for me.
Original post by imgunnalearn
Hello, have you received a date at which you enroll? I was informed this morning that I wont get anything further documentation beyond my UCAS letter on track until I physically go to the college campus to matriculate and go through the induction, which is on the 2nd of September for me.

Hi, i phoned up the student help line thing and they told me that my induction would be on the 2nd as well. i haven't received any further information so i assume that we must all find out the important stuff on our induction. Just now i have been enrolling online and picking my extra modules.
Hi, i phoned up the student help line thing and they told me that my induction would be on the 2nd as well. i haven't received any further information so i assume that we must all find out the important stuff on our induction. Just now i have been enrolling online and picking my extra modules.

Aye thats what i've done also. So I guess thats it till the 2nd. But accomodation is a real concern.
Aye thats what i've done also. So I guess thats it till the 2nd. But accomodation is a real concern.

It very much looks that way. Have you managed to get the money because i don't think everyone will be able to get so much. At least the accommodation looks nice.
It very much looks that way. Have you managed to get the money because i don't think everyone will be able to get so much. At least the accommodation looks nice.

It's not promising, no. I'm going to try and get a student overdraft bank account in time for it but because the induction is on the 2nd and the earliest moving in date is the 5th it means buying 2 train tickets. Im spending a lot of time looking for private lets and flatshares, spare rooms etc. Its way more affordable but also way more inconvenient lol and it feels less secure, which is my main concern as I am giving up my council flate to move from Edinburgh to Inverness. And I don't have the option of comming back and relying on family. Once I move i'm gone lol
It's not promising, no. I'm going to try and get a student overdraft bank account in time for it but because the induction is on the 2nd and the earliest moving in date is the 5th it means buying 2 train tickets. Im spending a lot of time looking for private lets and flatshares, spare rooms etc. Its way more affordable but also way more inconvenient lol and it feels less secure, which is my main concern as I am giving up my council flate to move from Edinburgh to Inverness. And I don't have the option of comming back and relying on family. Once I move i'm gone lol

I really hope you manage to get the overdraft bank account. Originally i was going to stay at someones home in a spare room but luckily i managed to get a space on campus but i see what you mean by it being less secure. Coming all the way from Edinburgh wont make it easier it being so far away. Im surprised that uhi havent just worked out a better deal with everyone as thats three people now that im aware of that have been caught out by this. Then ofcourse kitchen and room items need to be bought which just adds to the overall amount. ill be moving in on the first so ill be there for my induction but originally i was told id move in on 2nd lol.
I really hope you manage to get the overdraft bank account. Originally i was going to stay at someones home in a spare room but luckily i managed to get a space on campus but i see what you mean by it being less secure. Coming all the way from Edinburgh wont make it easier it being so far away. Im surprised that uhi havent just worked out a better deal with everyone as thats three people now that im aware of that have been caught out by this. Then ofcourse kitchen and room items need to be bought which just adds to the overall amount. ill be moving in on the first so ill be there for my induction but originally i was told id move in on 2nd lol.

Just got off the phone with a guy doing an Double Ensuit for £480 a month, bills included with a bus stop right outside, thats 5 mis walk to the high street and 20 mins by bus to the UHI campus and he seemed like a good lad. And i can take my pet cat! Things are looking brighter already.
Just got off the phone with a guy doing an Double Ensuit for £480 a month, bills included with a bus stop right outside, thats 5 mis walk to the high street and 20 mins by bus to the UHI campus and he seemed like a good lad. And i can take my pet cat! Things are looking brighter already.

Thats very good to hear! Hope it all goes well for you.
Reply 70
Im starting the Scottish cultural studies with gaelic studies in january and have been told to attend the induction on the 2nd september. But i live alllll the way down at the scottish borders so id have to do a 3 day stay and a £100 return train ticket for the one day. Ive contacted them but havent heard back if im likely to get another induction
Original post by pixiekiz
Im starting the Scottish cultural studies with gaelic studies in january and have been told to attend the induction on the 2nd september. But i live alllll the way down at the scottish borders so id have to do a 3 day stay and a £100 return train ticket for the one day. Ive contacted them but havent heard back if im likely to get another induction

hiya, will you be staying at the accommodation by the college?
Reply 72
No, i will be looking for accommodation outside of the college due to finances. but i still wont be starting until january. Ive heard from other people that i should have an induction closer, and i got an email late this evening confirming that i should not have gotten a letter yet.

Still excited to be starting the course this year though!
Original post by pixiekiz
No, i will be looking for accommodation outside of the college due to finances. but i still wont be starting until january. Ive heard from other people that i should have an induction closer, and i got an email late this evening confirming that i should not have gotten a letter yet.

Still excited to be starting the course this year though!

i think that it will be a very good 4 years haha
Reply 74
Anyone here going to perth uhi this year? And staying in accomodation

This is such a late reply I lost my login details then I forgot to reply! Have you managed to get into the accommodation? I found a flat instead and yeah when I was contacting the college they were pretty useless
Original post by CharlotteAMM98
This is such a late reply I lost my login details then I forgot to reply! Have you managed to get into the accommodation? I found a flat instead and yeah when I was contacting the college they were pretty useless

Hi, i am in the accommodation now and have been since the start of the month. There have been a few teething problems but as a whole its all working out well. I hope the flat you are at does you well and i hope you enjoy your course!
Hi thank you :smile: there's been a few problems here but it's all being sorted out. I'm glad you got in and that it's going well for you
Reply 78
Original post by MountDani
Good luck, I'm the only one doing my course (Sociology & Politics) good luck :smile:

im doing that this year eeek
Potentially heading to Perth College UHI to study History and Politics and reading a lot of mixed reviews on the place. I attended the last open day however im just looking for a bit of reassurance before i make my decision as Perth is a long way from where i live and don't want to take a big gamble and for it to come back to haunt me. Would those who are at Perth just now recommend it?

Quick Reply

Latest