Original post by Sophie.1997
Hey :smile: where will you be staying?

South courts
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by cakey123
where is the best place to live at essex on campus? my first choice is South courts... I'm doing business management

It depends on the individual. I lived in south courts (Harwich) for first year and North Towers (William Morris) for second year and I liked the best of both worlds. If you want more personal space and better hospitality then South Courts and Houses are the way to go, espscially with it being convenient for your lectures and en suite is the bonus. Towers is the way to go if you want to save money, have flat parties and meet more people as you're sharing the floor with 14/15 others but for me the social aspect is no different living in South Courts or Houses. Hope this has helped mate :wink:
Original post by YoungerHamii2014
It depends on the individual. I lived in south courts (Harwich) for first year and North Towers (William Morris) for second year and I liked the best of both worlds. If you want more personal space and better hospitality then South Courts and Houses are the way to go, espscially with it being convenient for your lectures and en suite is the bonus. Towers is the way to go if you want to save money, have flat parties and meet more people as you're sharing the floor with 14/15 others but for me the social aspect is no different living in South Courts or Houses. Hope this has helped mate :wink:

I didn't know you could live on campus in second year, or is that just for international students?

What's the library like? Is it modern, enough study spaces, enough computers? Do they have the machines where you can check out library books or do you have to get a librarian to do it?
Original post by undine_monty
I didn't know you could live on campus in second year, or is that just for international students?

What's the library like? Is it modern, enough study spaces, enough computers? Do they have the machines where you can check out library books or do you have to get a librarian to do it?

Well only those who are Resident Assistants (RAs for short) or internationals like you said get accommodation beyond first year, unless you're patient and want to yourself on the waiting list and wait for someone to move out one of their flats .

Yeah we've technically got two libraries: the main library (called Albert Sloman) and the Student Centre. Both have plenty of study spaces and PCs available on each floor but for PCs most people just use the PC labs that are all around the campus and yeah you've got self-service machines for check outs. There's a reading room in the main library if you wish to get some quiet time, mind you it's gets busier and noisier during the exam periods (May) so avoid at all costs haha, same goes for the study area in the Student Centre tbf

If you don't fancy either then we've got the Orangery and Limehouse, which are basically more study spaces fitted with screen PC projectors and whiteboards.

*sighs* Felt like an essay I was writing. That's that!
Well only those who are Resident Assistants (RAs for short) or internationals like you said get accommodation beyond first year, unless you're patient and want to yourself on the waiting list and wait for someone to move out one of their flats .

Yeah we've technically got two libraries: the main library (called Albert Sloman) and the Student Centre. Both have plenty of study spaces and PCs available on each floor but for PCs most people just use the PC labs that are all around the campus and yeah you've got self-service machines for check outs. There's a reading room in the main library if you wish to get some quiet time, mind you it's gets busier and noisier during the exam periods (May) so avoid at all costs haha, same goes for the study area in the Student Centre tbf

If you don't fancy either then we've got the Orangery and Limehouse, which are basically more study spaces fitted with screen PC projectors and whiteboards.

*sighs* Felt like an essay I was writing. That's that!

Thanks! 😊

What course do you do?

Are the food places busy at around 12-1?

Also, I watched the campus tour on the SU facebook and one of the guys was talking about flies in Happy Days like in the food and he seemed pretty miffed about it. Do you know anything about that?

Do they serve milkshakes on campus? Do you know what types?
Hey :smile: where will you be staying?

Hey! Eddington Tower 4/11. If you see two trolleys full of books - they're mine :wink:
Original post by Hemingway
Hey! Eddington Tower 4/11. If you see two trolleys full of books - they're mine :wink:

I'll look out for them 😂
Original post by Hemingway

I read a lot as well 😊

Do you just read literature?
Thanks! 😊

What course do you do?

Are the food places busy at around 12-1?

Also, I watched the campus tour on the SU facebook and one of the guys was talking about flies in Happy Days like in the food and he seemed pretty miffed about it. Do you know anything about that?

Do they serve milkshakes on campus? Do you know what types?

Sport Science, going into my final year so obviously the stakes are gonna be high with the dissertation haha. What about you?

They're more or less busy as they're the peak times for most students being on campus when coming to and out of their lectures but you shouldn't have a problem with getting something. The SU bars serve food too, which can be hit and miss, there's a cafe, a canteen and there's Happy Days obviously.

Yeah to cut it short Happy Days is utter **** when it comes to hygiene, one guy a couple of years ago posted a pic of his fries having extra protein hanging on it and someone I know got food poisoning. I've heard they've improved but for me it's not worth the risk of getting food poisoning, something I'm proud to say I haven't had once.

You're in luck with milkshakes though as I work at the place we do them (Level Up), they're very good and varied. Everyone loves our oreo and kinder bueno shakes,we've also got milky bar, dairy milk, twix and aero mint and you can mix it with chocolate, toffee or strawberry sauce without extra charge. Though we might stop making milkshakes and move it to the Uni's Starbucks because Level Up is having a few big changes (you're the first to hear this :tongue:)
Hey, I'm studying genetics and will be staying off campus :smile: pretty nervous about getting to know people 😁
Sport Science, going into my final year so obviously the stakes are gonna be high with the dissertation haha. What about you?

They're more or less busy as they're the peak times for most students being on campus when coming to and out of their lectures but you shouldn't have a problem with getting something. The SU bars serve food too, which can be hit and miss, there's a cafe, a canteen and there's Happy Days obviously.

Yeah to cut it short Happy Days is utter **** when it comes to hygiene, one guy a couple of years ago posted a pic of his fries having extra protein hanging on it and someone I know got food poisoning. I've heard they've improved but for me it's not worth the risk of getting food poisoning, something I'm proud to say I haven't had once.

You're in luck with milkshakes though as I work at the place we do them (Level Up), they're very good and varied. Everyone loves our oreo and kinder bueno shakes,we've also got milky bar, dairy milk, twix and aero mint and you can mix it with chocolate, toffee or strawberry sauce without extra charge. Though we might stop making milkshakes and move it to the Uni's Starbucks because Level Up is having a few big changes (you're the first to hear this :tongue:)

Thank god you told me. I'd have eaten there first because I love burgers.

Where I used to live, there was this milkshake shop where I'd buy milkshakes from every Friday after school. I always ordered the Oreo and Kinder Bueno one. To be honest, I always thought it was a combination I made up :tongue:. Still, I'm thrilled its sold on campus.

I know there's an empty lot on campus and I know that something big is gonna be placed there because the sabbaticals were saying it was a surprise and stuff and they said that we'd find out what it was when we arrive in October. Is that where Level Up is moving to? I assume if it was placed there, it would expand. I read a little bit about Level Up, there's Xboxs there?

If the milkshakes were to move to where the Starbucks is in the SU bar, would that mean Starbucks would stop being served? I don't buy anything from Starbucks, I'm just wondering.
Original post by katielousmith
Hey, I'm studying genetics and will be staying off campus :smile: pretty nervous about getting to know people 😁

I'm nervous too as I'm pretty shy 😭 I think we'll be fine though because everyone will be in the same boat
Thank god you told me. I'd have eaten there first because I love burgers.

Where I used to live, there was this milkshake shop where I'd buy milkshakes from every Friday after school. I always ordered the Oreo and Kinder Bueno one. To be honest, I always thought it was a combination I made up :tongue:. Still, I'm thrilled its sold on campus.

I know there's an empty lot on campus and I know that something big is gonna be placed there because the sabbaticals were saying it was a surprise and stuff and they said that we'd find out what it was when we arrive in October. Is that where Level Up is moving to? I assume if it was placed there, it would expand. I read a little bit about Level Up, there's Xboxs there?

If the milkshakes were to move to where the Starbucks is in the SU bar, would that mean Starbucks would stop being served? I don't buy anything from Starbucks, I'm just wondering.

Yeah Level Up helped me discover those kind of milkshakes, otherwise I would be in the dark about its awesomeness (not being biased) :tongue: The only milkshake shop I've been to is Blue Cow in Stratford-Upon-Avon and it was so cool.

If it's big and its outside then I imagine it's the SU heirloom they have for the first few weeks but bar that I haven't a clue, Level Up isn't moving it's just changing. Yeah we had both the Xbox One and Xbox 360, but the consoles might not stay either with the change.

The milkshakes will be served along with the coffee at Starbucks. Tbf I wasn't really a coffee person until recently, couldn't understand how people could like something that clearly lacks in taste but you learn something from the unexpected I guess
Reply 73
Hi anyone in South Courts - MANNINGTREE COURT?
Yeah Level Up helped me discover those kind of milkshakes, otherwise I would be in the dark about its awesomeness (not being biased) :tongue: The only milkshake shop I've been to is Blue Cow in Stratford-Upon-Avon and it was so cool.

If it's big and its outside then I imagine it's the SU heirloom they have for the first few weeks but bar that I haven't a clue, Level Up isn't moving it's just changing. Yeah we had both the Xbox One and Xbox 360, but the consoles might not stay either with the change.

The milkshakes will be served along with the coffee at Starbucks. Tbf I wasn't really a coffee person until recently, couldn't understand how people could like something that clearly lacks in taste but you learn something from the unexpected I guess

No, its where the Barclays bank was, that was what they said.

What else goes on at Level Up?

I've tried to force myself to like coffee because its sophisticated to drink it but its just so bitter. Even when I decide to drink for the energy, sometimes I get buzzed, other times it makes me feel even more tired :dontknow:
I'm nervous too as I'm pretty shy 😭 I think we'll be fine though because everyone will be in the same boat

Original post by katielousmith

I'm nervous as well but I'm up for the challenge of meeting new people despite my shyness :smile: . What societies/sports clubs are you gonna join? I'm probably gonna join the Harry Potter one and possibly the eSports one. I just wish there was a chess club though :frown:
I read a lot as well 😊

Do you just read literature?

All kinds, but not only. I also read e-mails, shopping lists, commercial billboards, and whatever is made up of letters :wink:
No, its where the Barclays bank was, that was what they said.

What else goes on at Level Up?

I've tried to force myself to like coffee because its sophisticated to drink it but its just so bitter. Even when I decide to drink for the energy, sometimes I get buzzed, other times it makes me feel even more tired :dontknow:

Oh yes, I know what's gonna be there but nothing to do with Level Up. Better keep it as a surprise haha!

We've got pool tables and board games. We serve both soft and alcoholic drinks but our range is not as wide as the SU bars, so Level Up is practically an entertainment bar. It's also quite convenient for those who want to go to Frangos and grab a quick food fix as we're right next door to them.

Yeah that was me exactly, I just stick to cappuccino with a bit of sugar and I'm all good! Frappucino aren't bad either, especially if you get a chocolate or caramel flavoured one.
Original post by Toto123
I got offered south courts. Harwich building/court

I'm in Harwich too! Which Block are you in??
Reply 79
Hey guys, I'm starting Law this year, got an accommodation offer for Manningtree Court, the room details say "MAC2.2/A" - does this mean Block.Flat/Room?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending