The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Religion. The belief that your god created the whole universe, then uses 0.004% of it to have a personal relationship with you.
Also, don't forget the argument of evil or how, if he's omnipotent, he doesn't end suffering and evil in our world. Imagine you had omnipotence (We'll ignore the omnipotence argument here). Write down all the things you'd do. End world hunger, perhaps? Resolve the middle east conflict? Bring peace? End Poverty? Now, ask yourself, why hasn't god done that?
Original post by 2007PSanHa
I'm a scientist so people may question why I believe in God. I guess I see god as the force behind science. I believe in the big bang and evolution. Maybe God was responsible for these events. I don't take the bible literally so I believe that God is not necessarily a he nor is he necessarily a human figure!

You trust some parts of the Bible literally and exactly as they are (existence of a God) but not other parts. We call this cherry picking. You take some things literally and others not so much to alter the Bible in the most ideal way possible for you
Original post by Tetragon213
Religion. The belief that your god created the whole universe, then uses 0.004% of it to have a personal relationship with you.
Also, don't forget the argument of evil or how, if he's omnipotent, he doesn't end suffering and evil in our world. Imagine you had omnipotence (We'll ignore the omnipotence argument here). Write down all the things you'd do. End world hunger, perhaps? Resolve the middle east conflict? Bring peace? End Poverty? Now, ask yourself, why hasn't god done that?

Dude, life is a test man. We cannot possibly fathom or comprehend the greatness of God. He wouldn't do logical things like that man.

Note: This is me being sarcastic LOL
Original post by Mikaela!
Sorry?
Lol i'm not a scientist nor do i need to be one to know that oxygen does not come from nothing. Neither does the vast majority of nature.

Everything comes from something, yes wind and oxygen has properties to prove them to be existent, but where do these properties come from?

No scientist claims they came from true nothing.

Btw, where did your god come from?
Original post by Rather_Cynical
If we know, then we can stop pursuing a supernatural being and living our own lives properly in the here and now. To focus our efforts on humanitarian issues using the one thing that nature has gifted us - our minds - to develop technologies that can mitigate/alleviate the causes of war.

To understand disease better and making us more resilient against their spread. By not being easily pandered by the politicians you cite, just because they claim to love your God.

well then why wait?
if you dont believe in him then you develop the technologies and alleviate the causes of war.
get your PhD in biological sciences and find the cure for all the diseases we have in our world today, and the ones yet to come!
its a shame that you wont be able to do any of those things...

like i've said earlier, you dont have to believe in God, its your choice,
God won't force you to believe in him, he will let you live your life EXACTLY the way you want it.
But its definitely worth pulling someone out from a fire as they walk RIGHT INTO IT.
God bless you.
Reply 305
There's plenty of evidence of God's existence.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

From 'faith'. Or what I like to call it is brainwashing at a young age and then being coerced to accept what they are taught.

God didn't create us, we created him.

He is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end.
The reason why we have a beginning and an end is because we are DEFINED and LIMITED by time. GOD IS NOT LIMITED BY TIME. HE DEFINED TIME HIMSELF!
so He didn't come from anywhere, He has always been there, and He will forever be there.
Its a fact, just deal with it.
God bless.
Reply 308
Original post by davidoriakhi
The reason why we have a beginning and an end is because we are DEFINED and LIMITED by time. GOD IS NOT LIMITED BY TIME. HE DEFINED TIME HIMSELF!
so He didn't come from anywhere, He has always been there, and He will forever be there.
God bless.

Suspecting you're a troll.

Anyway, the same thing could be said about any "first cause", be it God or something entirely naturalistic.
Original post by Electrospective
Why is it contradictory? Educate me ^_^

The commonly used definition of agnosticism in theological discussions was proposed by Huxley, who was neither convinced by arguments for God's existence, nor for His non-existence. Huxley explicitly denied atheism; he didn't "lack belief". Hence agnosticism has always been a stand-alone position in this particular context.
God bless.

I don't have time for baseless, regurgitated dogma.
Original post by Pride
There's plenty of evidence of God's existence.

Indeed. In the form of the hundreds of African children living in poverty that starve to death or die from waterborne illness.
Or the parasitic worm that David Attenborough saw in a child's eye (Specifically Onchocerca Volvulus). The very idea that your "god" created a worm that can only live as a parasite, causing great pain and suffering is downright horrifying. Doesn't sound like a benevolent, all loving "god" to me. And don't give me that "Free Will" crap. The Nazi soldiers working at the concentration camps had the free will not to help the Jews who were murdered in the gas chambers. Doesn't make them any less evil. Either your "god" is powerless to help, doesn't care, or doesn't exist.
Reply 312

The Christian God never began to exist - that's basic Christian theology. Christians claim that God is eternal. He created time.

Now, is our universe eternal?
Original post by LightAtTheEnd
You trust some parts of the Bible literally and exactly as they are (existence of a God) but not other parts. We call this cherry picking. You take some things literally and others not so much to alter the Bible in the most ideal way possible for you

You can't take the bible literally, there are so many different ways of looking at it and it has been translated so many times current bibles only contain a rough translation of the original version.

The bible contains many stories which illustrate how we should lead our lives. As Christians, it doesn't really matter whether we believe that each event happened but that we believe in God and lead our lives with a Christian ethos. I'm not going to argue with anyone over whether God exists. I believe he does. But if you believe in another God, or even no God at all, then that's fine. As a Christian I accept your beliefs.
(edited 7 years ago)

God didn't bring war upon us, we brought it on ourselves.
As humans we have that urge to seek for more power and authority.
We brought the suffering to our world, with people being too greedy and selfish they cant help others. There are some people who can feed the millions of hungry, diseased and poverty-stricken people with one hand and feel like nothing was withdrawn from their bank account. THAT'S THE TRUTH, so face it.
The devil has come to steal, kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
Evil will always exist in our world, one person will always want to kill another person. Someone will always be jealous of another person for what they have or what they can do. It won't end.

So don't blame God for any of that, we caused it for ourselves. The things we can do (provide food and comfort for them, donate money to legit organisations who will reach out to them) we should do them, and do them wholeheartedly.
God bless.
Reply 315
God didn't bring war upon us, we brought it on ourselves.
As humans we have that urge to seek for more power and authority.
We brought the suffering to our world, with people being too greedy and selfish they cant help others. There are some people who can feed the millions of hungry, diseased and poverty-stricken people with one hand and feel like nothing was withdrawn from their bank account. THAT'S THE TRUTH, so face it.
The devil has come to steal, kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
Evil will always exist in our world, one person will always want to kill another person. Someone will always be jealous of another person for what they have or what they can do. It won't end.

So don't blame God for any of that, we caused it for ourselves. The things we can do (provide food and comfort for them, donate money to legit organisations who will reach out to them) we should do them, and do them wholeheartedly.
God bless.

I thought God knowingly created everything, i.e. knowingly created evil
Anyway, what about natural suffering, disease, famine, etc?
Original post by GUMI
Aha! Submit to me you tiny atheist scum. You are no match for my rational arguments full of logic and reason, backed up by empirical evidence. :biggrin:

all hail the almighty Iluvatar!
Reply 317
Indeed. In the form of the hundreds of African children living in poverty that starve to death or die from waterborne illness.
Or the parasitic worm that David Attenborough saw in a child's eye (Specifically Onchocerca Volvulus). The very idea that your "god" created a worm that can only live as a parasite, causing great pain and suffering is downright horrifying. Doesn't sound like a benevolent, all loving "god" to me. And don't give me that "Free Will" crap. The Nazi soldiers working at the concentration camps had the free will not to help the Jews who were murdered in the gas chambers. Doesn't make them any less evil. Either your "god" is powerless to help, doesn't care, or doesn't exist.

How can you assert anything to be evil if God doesn't exist? You are stealing from a theistic worldview, in order to attempt to refute theism.

You are also asserting the God of the bible to be evil, without demonstrating how your moral principles trump that of the God presented in the bible.

I'm happy to discuss this further if you like, but I just wanted to point out right from the get go that your objection is not based on sound reason.
Original post by Retropattern
there is no evidence that god does not exist.

That would be silly. Prove to me that there isnt an undetectable massive black cock on your forehead.
Let's have a revisit to a very important moment concerning God

[video="youtube;-suvkwNYSQo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending