The Student Room Group

GCSE Resits

GCSE Results day is a week away now and I'm pretty positive that I'm going to be reodoing, do you have to pay to redo your gcse's??
Original post by varshan_k
GCSE Results day is a week away now and I'm pretty positive that I'm going to be reodoing, do you have to pay to redo your gcse's??

which subjects do you think you'll have to resit? the majority of people only need 5 A* - C gcses, so it depends what your planning to do next year whether it be a levels or btec etc, and what your future plans are
if its english language and maths, you shouldn't have to but it depends on the school and college, and the place your going to next year if they allow you to sit it in their exam center,
I didn't have to pay for my gcse maths resit, but there were a couple of older girls in year 13 who had to pay because it was their 2nd/3rd time resitting gcse maths. It may also be worth enquiring about remarks if your close to a grade boundary :smile:
good luck in the mean time though and try and have fun as there's not much holiday left :smile::smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bizzy_penguin
which subjects do you think you'll have to resit? the majority of people only need 5 A* - C gcses, so it depends what your planning to do next year whether it be a levels or btec etc, and what your future plans are
if its english language and maths, you shouldn't have to but it depends on the school and college, and the place your going to next year if they allow you to sit it in their exam center,
I didn't have to pay for my gcse maths resit, but there were a couple of older girls in year 13 who had to pay because it was their 2nd/3rd time resitting gcse maths. It may also be worth enquiring about remarks if your close to a grade boundary :smile:
good luck in the mean time though and try and have fun as there's not much holiday left :smile::smile:

thanks, the thing is that I skipped year 9 and I'm 15 years old which means that I done my GCSE's a year early so I think I'm able to redo without paying. Also, I think I need to do all my exams again because I think I done crap due to my depression. Thank you so much for your useful advice! It means a lot.
Reply 3
I think you should keep in mind what you actually want to do for A-levels and at Uni (if you want to go). Cs in Maths & English Language at GCSE is actually fine for the majority of Universities, however if you plan to do let's say Computing at degree level, then a University could request for a
B in GCSE Maths. I'd definitely say resit the exam if you get a C in a GCSE that you may need for Uni. Don't forget that the exams are in November or January so resitting really isn't that much of a struggle (especially due to the fact that you enter as a private candidate). I myself will definitely be resitting if I don't get at least a B in Maths, due to the fact that some Universities request a B in GCSE Maths to study Computer Science.

Good luck!
Original post by varshan_k
thanks, the thing is that I skipped year 9 and I'm 15 years old which means that I done my GCSE's a year early so I think I'm able to redo without paying. Also, I think I need to do all my exams again because I think I done crap due to my depression. Thank you so much for your useful advice! It means a lot.

no problem :smile: well done on taking your gcse's a year early :smile: perhaps have a word with the person who sorts out the exams at your school, or your head of year about this as they hopefully should have been made aware of your depression and give you some advice on which paths to take if you need help

good luck and take care :smile:
Reply 5

Hi! I was just wondering which college did you go and when you do your GCSE and do a resit what do you do in college in the meantime. Is it perparing for your resit or doing the courses you chose. Because for me i need a b in maths to do science and if i dont get the b i cant do science?
Original post by AAD1L786
Hi! I was just wondering which college did you go and when you do your GCSE and do a resit what do you do in college in the meantime. Is it perparing for your resit or doing the courses you chose. Because for me i need a b in maths to do science and if i dont get the b i cant do science?

heya, I think its the norm for sixth forms and colleges to require a b at least for the course (some colleges/6th forms should take the candidates individual circumstances into consideration though - beg them if necessary)- it may not be for the a level but i guessed it was all down to uni entrance since when i was looking out of interest many courses require b in maths.

I'm located in the North of England - I can't give away too much information on here about me bc I know a couple of people on tsr , and my a level subjects make me easily identifyable on here due to them being an unusual combination

HOWEVER, i did go to a 6th form college which was SO RELUCTANT to let me in also due to my `okayish` gcses :frown: (and the head of 6th form was/is a witch).

in college i started doing 4 A levels (not science ones) and then droppped english lit, bc it was difficult for me, and juggling gcse maths at the same time (it didn't help the people i was with in class were in the top set and i was in a low middle set, which sort of affected my confidence. 2 of the aS levels were coursework based (one was health and social care - that may be worth looking into because we could do placements with that as work experience and it was so fun - the other aS level is one of the new spec a levels.

I had to do gcse maths again bc i was 3 marks off a C, so basically i was sitting in a class on wednesday afternoon (free afternoon), with people who'd got lower than me (so i was sitting in a room doing stuff i already knew), they were friendly though and we had a laugh and joke too.

on GCSE results day, they'll be a guidance person you can hopefully talk to about your grades and options whatever u get who can guide you in the right direction. Do you know anyone who's working in the field you want to go in, like any brothers/sisters/cousins/family members/friends who could perhaps guide you also? that would help :smile: also you could have a look at uni courses on the web to see what is needed which may help put your mind at ease? even though i don't plan on going to uni there was a wide range of courses available to you :smile:
take care :smile:
Reply 7
heya, I think its the norm for sixth forms and colleges to require a b at least for the course (some colleges/6th forms should take the candidates individual circumstances into consideration though - beg them if necessary)- it may not be for the a level but i guessed it was all down to uni entrance since when i was looking out of interest many courses require b in maths.

I'm located in the North of England - I can't give away too much information on here about me bc I know a couple of people on tsr , and my a level subjects make me easily identifyable on here due to them being an unusual combination

HOWEVER, i did go to a 6th form college which was SO RELUCTANT to let me in also due to my `okayish` gcses :frown: (and the head of 6th form was/is a witch).

in college i started doing 4 A levels (not science ones) and then droppped english lit, bc it was difficult for me, and juggling gcse maths at the same time (it didn't help the people i was with in class were in the top set and i was in a low middle set, which sort of affected my confidence. 2 of the aS levels were coursework based (one was health and social care - that may be worth looking into because we could do placements with that as work experience and it was so fun - the other aS level is one of the new spec a levels.

I had to do gcse maths again bc i was 3 marks off a C, so basically i was sitting in a class on wednesday afternoon (free afternoon), with people who'd got lower than me (so i was sitting in a room doing stuff i already knew), they were friendly though and we had a laugh and joke too.

on GCSE results day, they'll be a guidance person you can hopefully talk to about your grades and options whatever u get who can guide you in the right direction. Do you know anyone who's working in the field you want to go in, like any brothers/sisters/cousins/family members/friends who could perhaps guide you also? that would help :smile: also you could have a look at uni courses on the web to see what is needed which may help put your mind at ease? even though i don't plan on going to uni there was a wide range of courses available to you :smile:
take care :smile:

thank a lot for that! im going to go to some uni websites and check there. :smile:
If you get a D in maths or english it is compulsory to resit them, does not matter where you go or what you do. its law. Good luck!
I'm afraid hat you likely will have to pay, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest