The Student Room Group

Should I bother applying?

Hi, Im going into my last year of college and would love to enquire as to whether i should apply to cambridge university, to study geography, with my current grades.
At AS level i achieved 3 A grades in geography, biology and religious studies, and have a 86% UMS average. My main inquiry here would be as to whether only doing 3 AS levels is adequate, and aswell, i achieved 79% in one of my geography modules... could this prove to be an issue, even if i achieved 88% in the other module. (I'm planning on repeating this module..)
My predicted grades i believe however will be A*AA, and i also achieved 3rd in my year for religious studies.
Another issue is my GCSE grades. Although i believe I did well, achieving 8A's and 1C, I achieved no A* grades which i fear may make me under qualified in comparison to the other applications.
Basically my question is, with these results do I really stand any realistic chance of being considered for a place, or should i just apply for other russell groups. Thank you for your time, Amelia. :smile:
Reply 1
Hello,
I think you should give it a go, especially since geography doesn't seem like an especially competitive course.
What type of school do you go to (state/grammar/private)? If you go to a school which isn't particularly high achieving in terms of grades, they'll weigh that in and be more lenient with your grades.
Also doing 3 AS levels should be alright if you do lots of extracurricular (I've heard), maybe ask the admission tutors in the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242
All the best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Amelia488
Hi, Im going into my last year of college and would love to enquire as to whether i should apply to cambridge university, to study geography, with my current grades.
At AS level i achieved 3 A grades in geography, biology and religious studies, and have a 86% UMS average. My main inquiry here would be as to whether only doing 3 AS levels is adequate, and aswell, i achieved 79% in one of my geography modules... could this prove to be an issue, even if i achieved 88% in the other module. (I'm planning on repeating this module..)
My predicted grades i believe however will be A*AA, and i also achieved 3rd in my year for religious studies.
Another issue is my GCSE grades. Although i believe I did well, achieving 8A's and 1C, I achieved no A* grades which i fear may make me under qualified in comparison to the other applications.
Basically my question is, with these results do I really stand any realistic chance of being considered for a place, or should i just apply for other russell groups. Thank you for your time, Amelia. :smile:

Well you could certainly try
Reply 3
Thanks loletta. I do a few extra circulars but not an overwhelming amount if I'm honest. And i went to a state grammar school so that might work against me... I guess ill weigh my options as if i apply ill need to remind myself I'm already at a disadvantage :frown:

Ask here... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242
Reply 5

okay thanks. I'm sort of new to this forum
Reply 6
Thanks loletta. I do a few extra circulars but not an overwhelming amount if I'm honest. And i went to a state grammar school so that might work against me... I guess ill weigh my options as if i apply ill need to remind myself I'm already at a disadvantage :frown:

Hiya, don't worry too much! Your grades shouldn't be a major disadvantage unless everyone at your school gets A*s/As. Don't think about being at a disadvantage! Most people get an interview, which means you'll probably get a chance to show how passionate you are about your subject and the people at Cambridge can see if you're suited for the course or not. One of my friends, who went to an above average state school, applied with an 87% avg UMS and got an offer :smile:

Also, if you want to maximise your chances, maybe avoid the most competitive colleges and apply to a less competitive one?
Reply 7
Original post by loletta
Hiya, don't worry too much! Your grades shouldn't be a major disadvantage unless everyone at your school gets A*s/As. Don't think about being at a disadvantage! Most people get an interview, which means you'll probably get a chance to show how passionate you are about your subject and the people at Cambridge can see if you're suited for the course or not. One of my friends, who went to an above average state school, applied with an 87% avg UMS and got an offer :smile:

Also, if you want to maximise your chances, maybe avoid the most competitive colleges and apply to a less competitive one?

Really thanks for taking the time out to help, its very much appreciated. Would applying to a less competitive college affect employability in any way?
Really thanks for taking the time out to help, its very much appreciated. Would applying to a less competitive college affect employability in any way?

Not at all.
Reply 9

:smile:
I don't think your college will affect your employability.
Give it a shot, why not? It seems you are smart enough to stand a chance at getting in; at the very least you'll probably get an interview, which is a good fun experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending