I'm scared I'm wasting 3 years
Reply 1
Original post by Vikkiuk87
I'm scared I'm wasting 3 years
I'm doing this too, so hopefully not! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by N!c
I'm doing this too, so hopefully not! :smile:

Haha sorry, i think people are just trying to scare me. I hope so any ways haha x
Why do you think that?
Reply 4
Are you interested in pursuing psychology and/or counselling as a future career? Have your explored how the topics may be applicable/transferable to specific niches of your interest?

If the answers to the above are no the course of study may well be a waste of your time. It doesn't make it universally dead end though.
Reply 5
Why what have people said? Where arr you studying? Are you starting in 2016?
Haha sorry, i think people are just trying to scare me. I hope so any ways haha x
Reply 6
Original post by DeepStar
Why do you think that?

Just 1 message i have received.. "i wouldn't recommend psychology of the few people I know one is a bingo room person online. Another does some clinical educating thing....."
I think it has alot to do with how driven you are though. I think the psychology with counselling will open more option then the psychology itself. Either way im looking forward to it. I was just hoping i found some positive comments haha x
Reply 7
Just 1 message i have received.. "i wouldn't recommend psychology of the few people I know one is a bingo room person online. Another does some clinical educating thing....."
I think it has alot to do with how driven you are though. I think the psychology with counselling will open more option then the psychology itself. Either way im looking forward to it. I was just hoping i found some positive comments haha x

Some graduates totally bomb when it comes to establishing a career. It's useful to understand why that is. It can be due to a lack of career planning and fixation on a dream position without considering the steps required toward it.

You can look at gaining relevant experience whilst studying your degree, to give yourself a head start. Sessional or part time work in a relevant field. Or at least seriously explore your likely post grad route toward your dream role - emphasis on likely.
Reply 8
Original post by N!c
Why what have people said? Where arr you studying? Are you starting in 2016?

Im starting sunderland this September
First question is always, what do you want to do for a career?
It depends on your expectations and what you do during your course.

If you go through just focussing on your degree and expect to find instant work in psychology or counselling, then it probably is going to be disappointing. However, if you are able to gain experience, foster good networking links and gather a good profile its a good starting platform for several future careers within mental health.
I did my first year of psychology with counselling. I left to relocate back home and am about to start my straight counselling degree. My course leader at uni told me psychology with counselling doesn't actually qualify you to do anything and that really you need to do a masters after to qualify you to do something eg counselling. So I'd consider doing a masters or at least trying to get as much experience as you can while doing your course.

Quick Reply

Latest