The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I think @Christ's Admissions might be better placed to help ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242). He's wading in the Pool at the moment but will be back later I think.

thank you!:smile:
Reply 61
Hi, Martin from the Peterhouse Admissions Team here!

We thought we'd repeat last year's thread about results day, what happens here and what offer-holders need to be aware of. Whilst I'm here, I'd also be happy to answer any questions and give a glimpse into the upcoming admissions round in terms of how files will be looked at and why we ask you to do the things we do.

Please note that I am not an Admissions Tutor, so I don't myself interview anyone or make decisions on who to accept, but I work very closely with those who do. The job of the Admissions Coordinators (me and Kathy at Peterhouse) is to make sure everything runs smoothly, procedures are followed and everyone is given a fair shot. The other side of our job is working as Schools Liaison Officers, working with schools and prospective students to encourage more young people to think about Higher Education, particularly studying academic courses at competitive universities. We also run the Open Days and answer questions from prospective applicants. If there's anything you want to know about Cambridge outreach then ask away!

I can answer questions about Peterhouse admissions in general terms, but if you have a detailed questions about Cambridge admissions then Andrew (the AT from Christ's) in this other thread or Emily (AT from Lucy Cavendish if you're over 21) in this thread are a better bet.

If your question is along the lines of 'I think I missed my offer, what are my chances' then I'm afraid that nobody on TSR can help as all decisions on missed offers are made individually on case-by-case basis and there's really no point in engaging in long hypotheticals or trying to learn from previous cases. All our offer-holders are individuals and we treat them as such.

I achieved my offer to begin study at Cambridge this October. However, I'm anorexic and have a bmi of 12. This will be picked up at the health check which my college gives all new students and I would be considered "unfit to study"What will happen? Will they kick me out? If so, would I be kicked out permanently and have to reapply next year? Or, will they let me in once I'm healthy?
My girlfriend received a verbal offer for a course in clearing and was asked to provide her transcript with her grades which she did promptly, however, today she was informed on UCAS that her application was unsuccessful for not providing an English qualification scan. What can she do in this situation? She was not asked to provide this information, but now the university says they have no vacancies on the website for the course, and are closed until Monday.
If we missed our offer and haven't heard anything from Cam or UCAS, does this mean that our original college will definitely not be taking us? Will any decisions be sent today/tomorrow?
Original post by Physmaksie
My girlfriend received a verbal offer for a course in clearing and was asked to provide her transcript with her grades which she did promptly, however, today she was informed on UCAS that her application was unsuccessful for not providing an English qualification scan. What can she do in this situation? She was not asked to provide this information, but now the university says they have no vacancies on the website for the course, and are closed until Monday.

Are you sure you're posting in a right forum?
This is the forum for University of Cambridge and they are not in the clearing.

Maybe try this one?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=6
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by taylor9277
If we missed our offer and haven't heard anything from Cam or UCAS, does this mean that our original college will definitely not be taking us? Will any decisions be sent today/tomorrow?

If you haven't heard anything you are still under consideration. At this stage you should probably call your college and ask about your status.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by parawitch
Hello, do you know if any medical schools would accept applicants with AAB at A2 if the B was 1ums off an A and an A was 1ums off an A*? Thank you

This is a thread for Cambridge applicants, and the answer at Cambridge would be no...

Maybe try the Medicine forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195
Hi Peterhouse, I've asked this question on another thread but I'm interested in your college's policy in particular as I liked the look of it on a visit if that's ok. Here goes. Does Peterhouse specify the subject for the A* in the standard Cambridge offer for English Literature of A*AA? I have 12 A*s at GCSE, four As at AS and my predictions will be three A*s. My only unreformed AS (not English, as it's linear, as you know) means I am well on course for an A* in that subject; however, my school has never sent a student to Cambridge to study English so I'm nervous about its lack of Oxbridge experience and falling at the final hurdle. Also, surely the new linear courses will make it harder to achieve or maybe predict the top grades (in that at least you had the AS marks both as a guide and to carry forward to A2). I'm not sure how clued up my (state) school is as regards the new system. Thanks in advance!
Original post by SalGal
I achieved my offer to begin study at Cambridge this October. However, I'm anorexic and have a bmi of 12. This will be picked up at the health check which my college gives all new students and I would be considered "unfit to study"What will happen? Will they kick me out? If so, would I be kicked out permanently and have to reapply next year? Or, will they let me in once I'm healthy?

Does your College know? Did you submit an ECF? I think you need to have a chat with your new Tutorial Office and see what they say. Will you ask to defer for a year?
Original post by taylor9277

Hopefully this has resolved over the weekend. If you still haven't heard anything you should contact your original college.
Original post by GracePoole
Hi Peterhouse, I've asked this question on another thread but I'm interested in your college's policy in particular as I liked the look of it on a visit if that's ok. Here goes. Does Peterhouse specify the subject for the A* in the standard Cambridge offer for English Literature of A*AA? I have 12 A*s at GCSE, four As at AS and my predictions will be three A*s. My only unreformed AS (not English, as it's linear, as you know) means I am well on course for an A* in that subject; however, my school has never sent a student to Cambridge to study English so I'm nervous about its lack of Oxbridge experience and falling at the final hurdle. Also, surely the new linear courses will make it harder to achieve or maybe predict the top grades (in that at least you had the AS marks both as a guide and to carry forward to A2). I'm not sure how clued up my (state) school is as regards the new system. Thanks in advance!

Ask away, I'm happy to help!

Our typical offer for English is A*AA and we don't usually specify the subject the A* has to be in, but all offers are set individually and on a case-by-case basis so we might. We're fully expecting that A level predictions from teachers might be a little all of the place this year and we'll pay them less attention as a result. If your teachers think you could get A*A*A* then you should definitely think about applying.

Don't worry about your school's lack of experience - as a schools liaison officer a very important part of my job is helping schools and teachers navigate the process. The University doesn't expect lots of interview prep or coaching (in fact it can often be detrimental) so don't worry about that. One of the flags on the subject moderation spreadsheets is for candidates from schools with little experience of Oxford or Cambridge so interviewers and ATs will be able to understand your application in context. You or your teachers can reach me at [email protected].
Reply 71
@Peterhouse Admissions - can you answer a question for Freshers... when do they get cam.ac.uk email addresses and/or Raven accounts. They are needed for Unidays, etc.

Thanks!
Original post by jneill
@Peterhouse Admissions - can you answer a question for Freshers... when do they get cam.ac.uk email addresses and/or Raven accounts. They are needed for Unidays, etc.

Thanks!

Soon? You don't have to wait until you get here but you do have to wait for an email from Student Registry. This will have instructions on what to do. There's a leaflet from the University with information which I sent to all our incoming students but it can also be found at http://www.uis.cam.ac.uk/for-students/gettingstarted

Depending on your course you might also be registered for Moodle before you arrive so you can access reading lists and preliminary work. This can be done using the email address you gave on your application (which I hope you all kept up to date and isn't an expired school email!).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 73
Soon? You don't have to wait until you get here but you do have to wait for an email from Student Registry. This will have instructions on what to do. There's a leaflet from the University with information which I sent to all our incoming students but it can also be found at http://www.uis.cam.ac.uk/for-students/gettingstarted

Excellent

thanks!
Reply 74
I was just wondering about doing an economics degree

The subjects which I plan on taking are economics, history, English
Some uni courses do not require maths and those are to ones I will apply for. Will I be at a disadvantage but I have work experience ( top achiever in Deloitte essay competition) to back me up as well as other work experience.

I have taken maths at as but have decided to drop it as I believe I can get a better grade in another subject and some economics degrees, both single and joint, do not require the subject.

Please could you help
Original post by M_k_s

Some uni courses do not require maths and those are to ones I will apply for. Will I be at a disadvantage but I have work experience ( top achiever in Deloitte essay competition) to back me up as well as other work experience.

I have taken maths at as but have decided to drop it as I believe I can get a better grade in another subject and some economics degrees, both single and joint, do not require the subject.

Please could you help

I'm afraid that we would view maths as essential. Applicants without A level mathematics would be immediately rejected I'm afraid.
Reply 76
Which universities do you do admissions for.
Original post by M_k_s
Which universities do you do admissions for.

I work at Peterhouse which is one of the colleges in Cambridge.
Reply 78
Original post by M_k_s

Please could you help

You probably aren't aware this is a specific thread for Cambridge applicants. :wink:

You could ask about other universities in the Economics forum : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Hello :smile:

In recent years, how many mature Medicine applicants have been made offers to Peterhouse? Would you say that mature students have as equal a chance of receiving an offer for Medicine as younger applicants or in your experience have you witnessed that the majority of these kinds of applicants end up being pooled and fished out by one of the mature colleges (and hence perhaps it might be better for such applicants to apply directly to a mature college?)?

Thank you! :smile: