The Student Room Group

what degree is best?

I am predicted to be getting roughly 8A* at GCSE and the other 3 are As, and the A levels i am looking to take i have been told i could get all A*. say, theoretically, i get all these results, and i get into Cambridge or oxford uni, what degree would be best? I am very hard working and was wondering what degree could lead to the best potential earnings. right now i am thinking of law, and i know that has the possibility for a return of millions, but are there any other degrees that could produce these potential earnings as well? I am thinking of doing Economics, Biology and History for a level, if this helps. Thanks
Original post by That'sGreat
I am predicted to be getting roughly 8A* at GCSE and the other 3 are As, and the A levels i am looking to take i have been told i could get all A*. say, theoretically, i get all these results, and i get into Cambridge or oxford uni, what degree would be best? I am very hard working and was wondering what degree could lead to the best potential earnings. right now i am thinking of law, and i know that has the possibility for a return of millions, but are there any other degrees that could produce these potential earnings as well? I am thinking of doing Economics, Biology and History for a level, if this helps. Thanks

You're not going to cope with the workload and effort required if you're choosing a degree purely for the sake of earnings rather than interest. You need to apply for the subject you're most interested in.
Reply 2

There's no such thing as "the best degree"!

The best degree for you is the one that covers the subject area in which you're most interested and passionate about, and is structured in a way that meets your personal style of learning. This may even not be at Oxford or Cambridge!

University admissions tutors are not going to be impressed if you roll up at interview and say you really want to be at their institution but don't have any genuine interest in a particular subject.

Wait till you get onto A levels, find out what really fires your enthusiasm and what you can imagine yourself studying for 3 years, then start to think about target universities :smile:

Harry Potter Studies.
I'm interested in Law, finance, economics... The kind of stuff that lets you use logical thinking. But I also want to have the chance to earn lots of money.
BA Philosophy at Cambridge - perhaps the most all round employable degree in the country

Posted from TSR Mobile
The degree alone will not be a ticket to making lots of money.

If you want to go into Investment banking, then Economics is probably more suitable than Law, but realistically, you can probably go into IB with most subjects if you get a Cambridge degree.

In order to get into IB, you'll need to apply pretty swiftly for the internships and likely spend a fair bit of time preparing for assessment centres as well. All this is on top of your degree workload, which at Oxford or Cambridge is considerable. Of course, plenty people do it, but it will involve a lot of sacrifice.
What is IB? I searched it up but the website was vague
Reply 8
What is IB? I searched it up but the website was vague

In this context, Investment Banking.
Original post by jneill
In this context, Investment Banking.

Indeed, apologies for not making that clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending