The Student Room Group

I'm a ****ing failure

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My first as grades were D,U,D,E retook got ABCD and now ive come out with DDE. My parents are now saying university isnt for me and im barely getting enough to cover my uni accomodation... I dont even have a place to stay yet as well as all halls are full
Original post by Anonymous
Ahhh, I've seen you on loads of the IB threads that I've read. I really did think that I would get into LSE and then go into investment banking (my degree at LSE was econ). Instead, I ****ed up and have ended up doing econ at Aston. You of all people should know that I have no hope of breaking into investment banking with my A level grades and through the fact that I attend Aston. My only hope now is to do a masters at a top uni which I really won't be able to afford. So there goes my career plan

Eh, as I said, work your ass off and get a first. Network like a maniac, and get really involved at uni and anything could happen. Don't just defer to a masters, that's not the solution, build yourself up and try whilst at university to get in then consider plan Bs.*

Even if you don't get in, there are other paths that still lead to IB/high finance. Don't give up so easily mate.

For your info, there were people from some barely known UK institutions in front office at a bank I met once, and there are cases of people from the university of law (which, isn't really prestigious at all), london soutbank and MMU all making it into front office roles. They of course all grafted like hell to do so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol my post must have gone straight over your head. I'm venting at the fact that I feel worthless because I failed to realise my full potential due to my laziness
p.s. I said "I'm asian" at the medicine/dentistry bit because thats what is stereotypically expected in asian families when you have muliple A*'s at GCSE

put yourself in another person's shoes and understand that saying, right at the beginning "I got loads of a grades, and I was on track to a good career - I'm asian" kind of shoots out that vibe...
Original post by Princepieman
Eh, as I said, work your ass off and get a first. Network like a maniac, and get really involved at uni and anything could happen. Don't just defer to a masters, that's not the solution, build yourself up and try whilst at to get in then consider plan Bs.*

Even if you don't get in, there are other paths that still lead to IB/high finance. Don't give up so easily mate.

For your info, there were people from some barely known UK institutions in front office at a bank I met once, and there are cases of people from the of law (which, isn't really prestigious at all), london soutbank and MMU all making it into front office roles. They of course all grafted like hell to do so.

How did you do and what uni are you off to?
How did you do and what uni are you off to?

Would rather not say tbh. You can pm me if you want.
I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

This to me sounds more like a success story. You got up to BBB from CDE which to you seems like failure, but do you know how many people are sitting at home crying after failing to even get a place at all? You made it.

Yeah you could have done better, but you didn't, and if that's you not being good enough, then God help the rest of us.
(edited 7 years ago)
A-level grades don't determine your performance at uni. I know someone who got BBB and is doing amazingly well at uni getting a first degree in the first year. Not the end of the world mate.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Doesn't matter. It's about getting a good job, a degree is only part of that and the quality of uni it's from an even smaller part. I got strong A levels and go to a good uni but I'm sure I'll be unemployed after uni and never get a decent job or find any kind of security, success or happiness. :smile: It's about where you go from here.

Lol this isn't a who is more of a failure thread. You'll be fine too dude, have some faith.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

Hey , I understand , how you feel as I have had this in my past life too . With my GCSE results I felt like a failure and felt so bad and when it came to college I got into BTEC Businss . Which wasn't bad but everytime I think about it or see my friends I cry sometimes thinking I could have been better and I lost that opportunity. So I get where you are coming from . However don't worry as sometimes things happen for a reason . I am not sure if you believe in all that but "good things come to those a who wait". And maybe it just wasn't for you . But whatever you have now and what you got is great you got 3 B's I know it's not A's but you still did great :wink: . And please don't hate yourself for it , as this can lead to many other emotions.
After you tried your best and the past past cannot be changed . :wink:
So be happy please and you can PM me if you want advice . :smile:
My AS results were BBEE. I stupidly carried on the BBE to A2 and thought that I could transform those grades into A's. In my A2's, the extenuating circumstances hit and I achieved CDE.
I then retook my A2's this year and achieved BBB.

You know because you're a stranger to us is there any chance could you explain what circumstances you were under?

I don't want to be nosey I just don't want to think you're making excuses.
Original post by Zaaki
My first as grades were D,U,D,E retook got ABCD and now ive come out with DDE. My parents are now saying university isnt for me and im barely getting enough to cover my uni accomodation... I dont even have a place to stay yet as well as all halls are full

I don't want you to feel bad however if you're resitting like me you shouldn't get A2 grades like that. The fact you got DUDE for your first attempt is the exam board trolling you 😂😂

Fair enough you always did 4 A levels however I'm sure you know that you will have to work harder.

What degree are you doing and what subjects did you do for 1st attempt and resit.
Original post by Princepieman
Eh, as I said, work your ass off and get a first. Network like a maniac, and get really involved at uni and anything could happen. Don't just defer to a masters, that's not the solution, build yourself up and try whilst at university to get in then consider plan Bs.*

For your info, there were people from some barely known UK institutions in front office at a bank I met once, and there are cases of people from the university of law (which, isn't really prestigious at all), london soutbank and MMU all making it into front office roles. They of course all grafted like hell to do so.

Idk maybe its the crappy mood that I'm in but I feel as if I've made my life ten fold harder cause I missed that LSE offer especially considering how I don't even meet the 320 ucas points requirement for most of the top banks. Its so hard to be positive rn. On a side note, you're one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum and I wish you all the best in achieving a role in a top bank- you certainly deserve it.
Original post by Maths is Life
You know because you're a stranger to us is there any chance could you explain what circumstances you were under?

I don't want to be nosey I just don't want to think you're making excuses.

My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer during my AS exams and passed away just before my A2 exams.
My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer during my AS exams and passed away just before my A2 exams.

And you managed to pull it out with a BBB. Trust me your family is not disappointed in you, if that's what you think. The fact you managed to pull through - that says a lot. Wish you the best of luck :smile:

I'm so so so so sorry to hear this, my dad was the same 6 years ago :frown:. My condolences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Idk maybe its the crappy mood that I'm in but I feel as if I've made my life ten fold harder cause I missed that LSE offer especially considering how I don't even meet the 320 ucas points requirement for most of the top banks. Its so hard to be positive rn. On a side note, you're one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum and I wish you all the best in achieving a role in a top bank- you certainly deserve it.

Yeah, ngl, felt pretty crap too but I got over it fast.

And not all banks have minimums, Goldman, Barclay's, DB etc don't and UBS is at 300.

Thanks a lot man, hopefully all works out for the both of us. I can very much relate to your situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SunnysideSea
May I guess you work in... sales? Or an entrepeneur?

They're my best guesses

entrepreneur in the luxury asset market (primarily watches and jewellery)
Original post by thomasp360
What job do you do?

luxury asset resale
Reply 58
Original post by Maths is Life
I don't want you to feel bad however if you're resitting like me you shouldn't get A2 grades like that. The fact you got DUDE for your first attempt is the exam board trolling you 😂😂

Fair enough you always did 4 A levels however I'm sure you know that you will have to work harder.

What degree are you doing and what subjects did you do for 1st attempt and resit.

Maths, chemistry, eco and physics. I've had a really **** year i had no motivation, stuff going on at home and i didnt even want to get into my first choice uni. My attendence was **** i was so lazy. Doing maths but being 30k+ in debt seems like the god damn motivation i need. But my job opportunities look bad with **** a levels so i may try to re do them during a placement year if i find one if its not too much work or of i even can. **** any spelling mistakes and punctuation

I'm sorry for asking I really am.
I hope nothing happens like that during Uni.

You musn't have second thoughts on how much concentration you placed on your A levels. You did your best that's all what matters. Don't use this as an excuse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending