The Student Room Group

Biggest academic achievements?

Scroll to see replies

Proving the Riemann Hypothesis without anyone knowing. OH WAIT.
Original post by happiness12
I got an E for English Literature in my Jan mocks then an A* in my April mocks lol

Sorry but that just proves English is a ******** subject.

Jk, well done :smile:
Original post by RDKGames
Let's hear some, having a boring night :h: They don't necessarily have to be about grades.

I'll start; mine would be the fact that in Y10 I was on an E grade for maths, in Y11 I scraped an A (and only A) for GCSE and at A-Level I've achieved A* in Maths and B in Further Maths. I've had the same teacher throughout these 4 years so you can imagine his reaction. :smile:

A* in GCSE Chemistry
93% on one of my A-level A2 Biology units
60% in one of my first year chemistry modules despite having done no work all year
That's amazing considering I've heard French teachers/lecturers never give out 20/20 for something like essays lol.

Oh wait I meant French literature ! (Not French like the language, in case you didn't know I'm French)
And sometimes it happens :3 very rarely tho, and for all the subjects anyway, it's very hard to get a 20/20 >.< teachers tend to give 17/20 and 18/20 as a very good grade
I guess mine was in a very good mood )
Winning an essay prize from Peterhouse Cambridge after convincing myself I was only entering for fun, since there's always some Etonian whose better :excited:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Oh wait I meant French literature ! (Not French like the language, in case you didn't know I'm French)
And sometimes it happens :3 very rarely tho, and for all the subjects anyway, it's very hard to get a 20/20 >.< teachers tend to give 17/20 and 18/20 as a very good grade
I guess mine was in a very good mood )

Yeah I suspected it was French Literature. I'm not from England myself so I know how the language subjects change across countries aha

I think it's easier to get 20/20 in subjects like maths? I wouldn't know personally, all I have to go off is this video :tongue:

[video="youtube;QzrRkhU248A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzrRkhU248A[/video]
Reply 26
Let's hear some, having a boring night :h: They don't necessarily have to be about grades.

I'll start; mine would be the fact that in Y10 I was on an E grade for maths, in Y11 I scraped an A (and only A) for GCSE and at A-Level I've achieved A* in Maths and B in Further Maths. I've had the same teacher throughout these 4 years so you can imagine his reaction. :smile:

How peculiar, I've got almost the identical story. I was on an E grade in Year 10 in Maths (due to my maths teacher being an utter bore) I used to have a fiery passion for maths, but after having her as a teacher for 4 years (since year 7) Peculiarly, I was still in the top set class for maths (due to almost everyone in my class being D/E grade)

However, thankfully an amazing Spanish teacher who had gotten off maternity leave (who had taught my brother 10 years ago to an A standard) had taken my class in an ditch attempt to save it. Having only 1 year to get our class, who didn't even know how to multiply out a bracket properly, to an A/A* standard. By April/May, we attempted the June 2015 Maths paper, everyone in our class got A/A*.
Best in school award for UK Maths Challenge in year 7 (beat all the year 8s and 9s). Then A in maths GCSE and A* in maths A level. I really like maths :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Best in science at school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I suspected it was French Literature. I'm not from England myself so I know how the language subjects change across countries aha

I think it's easier to get 20/20 in subjects like maths? I wouldn't know personally, all I have to go off is this video :tongue:

[video="youtube;QzrRkhU248A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzrRkhU248A[/video]

Haha :3
Oh where are you from ? :h:

Easier definitely yes, but tbh it still doesn't happen very much :eek: I've never seen someone having a 20/20 in maths during college for example (I've seen that in middle school tho, but that's easier lol, I've seen twice in 4 years xD)

And I agree with the video. For some reason teachers are "afraid" of giving a 20/20 because they always want to give us something to work on, so we can improve all the time. If you have an 18/20 you're a VERY good student tho :yep:
Hmm, for me it would be getting an A* in GCSE Latin and full marks in the literature papers, after getting Bs all throughout the year! Getting an A* in GCSE Russian was pretty awesome too. 119/120 and 70/70 in AS Eng Lit and Lang was amazing for me, especially since I thought I'd utterly bombed both exams!!!!!
Haha :3
Oh where are you from ? :h:

Easier definitely yes, but tbh it still doesn't happen very much :eek: I've never seen someone having a 20/20 in maths during college for example (I've seen that in middle school tho, but that's easier lol, I've seen twice in 4 years xD)

And I agree with the video. For some reason teachers are "afraid" of giving a 20/20 because they always want to give us something to work on, so we can improve all the time. If you have an 18/20 you're a VERY good student tho :yep:

I'm from Lithuania, moved to England when I was 8. :h:

lol if I got 100% of the question's right in a maths test, every question with correct working out, and I'd STILL get 19/20, I'd probably slap whoever marks the thing because I OBVIOUSLY have nothing else to improve on! :slap:
I'm from Lithuania, moved to England when I was 8. :h:

lol if I got 100% of the question's right in a maths test, every question with correct working out, and I'd STILL get 19/20, I'd probably slap whoever marks the thing because I OBVIOUSLY have nothing else to improve on! :slap:

Nice ! :3

Ofc if you have 100% in Maths you'll have 20/20, the "improve stuff" is not really an official thing :ninja:
But the prob with maths tests here is that they're too long to be finished :emo: and that's on purpose :mad: I know it's stupid :lol: but you get used to it :' )

Spoiler

I got full marks in my GCSE art exam & coursework.... not really an academic subject but still XD. I used to think my paintings were crap as well.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I got full marks in my GCSE art exam & coursework.... not really an academic subject but still XD. I used to think my paintings were crap as well.

Yeah that's what every good artist says. :rolleyes:
Reply 35

I got 20/20 at my baccalaureate :woo: (which is like A*)

They give the bac to everybody. Nothing to be proud of.

Source: I got it too.
Original post by Josb
They give the bac to everybody. Nothing to be proud of.

Source: I got it too.

Let me be proud of my 20 tho :cry2:

Spoiler

Waking up for a 9am lecture only to go home back to sleep, as my next one was at 3. All the more impressive as I'd have to get up at 7:30, arrive at 8:30 and nap in the library, nap in the lecture from 9:15 onwards and nap on the bus on the way back. Only to wake up at 7:30, find it was all a dream and I actually have to pay attention in my 9am lecture.
A* in GCSE Chemistry, taken in Year 10 :smile:

Rest are TBA this Thursday.
Original post by meridian0
100% UMS in GCSE RE Islam exam.

Spoiler

A bit off topic, but how did your parents react to you leaving Islam. Fair play though :wink: must be pretty scary quitting something that has told you how to live for years.

Quick Reply

Latest