The Student Room Group

Will the SJW movement grow larger and take over, or will it soon fizzle out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iridocyclitis
It will all rest on whether Clinton or Trump get in and who wins between Corbyn and the Tories in 2020. If it's the latter then SJW-ism will fizzle out; if the former, it will thrive and become a stronger part of our law and culture.

I think the opposite actually. Trump's popularity can be heavily attributed to people being policed on what they can think, say and do to a ridiculous level. A lot of men are sick of being picked on and then told they have "privilege" and so therefore deserve to be **** on as much as they are right now. Seeing a guy stand up and say all the things that they're not allowed to think has made people identify heavily with Trump even if they would usually affiliate themselves with more left wing ideas. If Trump wins, the people he shits on will likely have a similar experience and grow rapidly. Currently there's nothing for the SJW movement to rally behind except trying to ruin specific people's days, once there is some real oppresion going on many people may want to get involved with the movement. Basically, Trump winning would give them a cause and that's the last thing anyone wants.
I'd say it's growing, and will continue to grow unless something is done about it.

They're steadily gaining dominance in the media, and even mainstream news outlets such as the BBC, CBC (Canada's equivalent) and CNN are showing signs of being taken over. Almost every time I read a story about a topic like racism, sexism, rape, anti-immigration, Islam, online harassment, or other hot-button social topics, the supposedly 'neutral' journalists clearly try to hide or downplay inconvenient facts and push the SJW narrative. I'm getting tired of the biased, increasingly misleading click-bait articles from supposedly reputable papers and news sites. And people in the comment sections are starting to notice (thankfully).

But there has also been an exponential rise in the anti-SJW movement, mostly on the internet, but also on some university campuses and in small pockets of government. People are getting tired of the BS. More people are calling to protect free speech and are speaking out against all the nonsense, misinformation and PC authoritarianism that has become so prevalent. But unless we get a foothold in the mainstream media, this ideological war will remain in the SJWs' favour, and it will only get worse.
Reply 42
Original post by oShahpo
What is SJW? I mean I get the typical idea of an SJW idiot saying things like "Don't say black, say African American", but what is it really?

[video]https://youtu.be/AusA-jAFoFI[/video]
Reply 43
Original post by Dandaman1
I'd say it's growing, and will continue to grow unless something is done about it.

They're steadily gaining dominance in the media, and even mainstream news outlets such as the BBC, CBC (Canada's equivalent) and CNN are showing signs of being taken over. Almost every time I read a story about a topic like racism, sexism, rape, anti-immigration, Islam, online harassment, or other hot-button social topics, the supposedly 'neutral' journalists clearly try to hide or downplay inconvenient facts and push the SJW narrative. I'm getting tired of the biased, increasingly misleading click-bait articles from supposedly reputable papers and news sites. And people in the comment sections are starting to notice (thankfully).

But there has also been an exponential rise in the anti-SJW movement, mostly on the internet, but also on some university campuses and in small pockets of government. People are getting tired of the BS. More people are calling to protect free speech and are speaking out against all the nonsense, misinformation and PC authoritarianism that has become so prevalent. But unless we get a foothold in the mainstream media, this ideological war will remain in the SJWs' favour, and it will only get worse.

You mean like editing clips to say a call for peace instead of the call to burn down the suburbs?
https://youtu.be/fbEg9zn14o0
Original post by joecphillips
You mean like editing clips to say a call for peace instead of the call to burn down the suburbs?
https://youtu.be/fbEg9zn14o0

Exactly, just like that. And these are the people we're supposed to trust to bring us the news.

And there's the deliberately misleading headlines. You'll read something along the lines of "Black woman shot dead by police with child in her arms" or something to that effect. And buried somewhere down in the article is the fact she had a shotgun, was shooting at police, and wasn't holding her child at the time she was shot.

Don't even get me started on the "clock boy" fiasco.
I would hope that the SJW movement would fizzle out but unfortunately with the high influence of social media and the movement's general target audience being impressionable young people that want to have a voice, its become a grey area on whether or not these sorts of people will-for lack of a better word- die out.

Not to mention with these sorts of people usually being highly into politics they're actually starting to make a difference, such as NYC potentially fining people for misgendering (x) and even segregated schools where they teach white children to feel guilty for the colour of their skin (x)
Reply 46
Original post by dingleberry jam
It was an observation, no attempt at anything meaningful or clever.

Check, no one on here whines and whinges quite as much as you guys.

Check, you guys are very easily triggered and love your tirades with plenty of derogatory labels thrown in to shut em up.

Check.

Check.

It seems that the evidence that you are an SJW continues to mount. You seem to pigeonhole me as whatever you mean by "you guys", which I assume is alt-right or red pillers. Seeing as I feel no allegiance to the former group, and I hate the latter, I would not defend them had someone made a post attacking them in a similar way to how I did with SJWs in this post. In fact, I have made threads attacking red pillers before. It's common for red pillers to think all whom criticise them are SJWs, just as it is common for SJWs to think that all who criticise them are red pillers or alt-righters, which is why I assume you are an SJW because you pigeonhole me as being whatever you mean by "you guys". Yet actually, the vast majority of people did not give a single damn about you, and mostly dislike your ideas. Most peope care as much about redpillers beloved concepts such as "alpha", "beta", and "cuck" about as much they do about the pro-nouns, headmates, bizarre ideas about gender, privilege checking, and cultural appropriation that SJWs spend their lives obsessing over; in other words, F all. Time to wake up and smell the coffee, kiddo.
I can't remember it being this bad say 2 or 3 years ago.

I believe in the former: it'll grow larger and take over almost every aspect of day-to-day life.

Unless something radical happens.
Original post by KingBradly
It seems that the evidence that you are an SJW continues to mount. You seem to pigeonhole me as whatever you mean by "you guys", which I assume is alt-right or red pillers. Seeing as I feel no allegiance to the former group, and I hate the latter, I would not defend them had someone made a post attacking them in a similar way to how I did with SJWs in this post. In fact, I have made threads attacking red pillers before. It's common for red pillers to think all whom criticise them are SJWs, just as it is common for SJWs to think that all who criticise them are red pillers or alt-righters, which is why I assume you are an SJW because you pigeonhole me as being whatever you mean by "you guys". Yet actually, the vast majority of people did not give a single damn about you, and mostly dislike your ideas. Most peope care as much about redpillers beloved concepts such as "alpha", "beta", and "cuck" about as much they do about the pro-nouns, headmates, bizarre ideas about gender, privilege checking, and cultural appropriation that SJWs spend their lives obsessing over; in other words, F all. Time to wake up and smell the coffee, kiddo.

Triggered - check
Tirade full of derogatory labels - check.

I dunno if i'm a sjw, maybe, don't care much for your ism-schisms, just a lazy stoner that thinks we call all do with chilling the **** out.
Original post by New_Frontiers
The wall is never going to be built. Donald Trump cannot even be consistent with his economics. He would bankrupt America; also, on a side note he is $650m in debt.

I know you're not going to watch this because oh no liberal propaganda but for other TSR users:

[video="youtube;vU8dCYocuyI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8dCYocuyI[/video]

:toofunny:

John Oliver is a lib. So r u wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending