The Student Room Group

How much did you pay for your first car & car insurance

I just wanted to get a rough estimate of how expensive it is to drive for newly passed drivers.

I know it varies a lot and depends on many factors but roughly how cheap can you find a second hand car and get it insured for a 20yr old male. Also do all insurance companies allow you to pay monthly or do they want annual payments.

Thanks in advance :smile:

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I still need to pass my test :frown:
does being chauffeured count
if yes, then £30,500 and that covers me until June
or
if no then I don't drive at the moment
It's gonna cost me and my boyfriend £1100 for our insurance (Both 20) however hes been driving for 2 years, i'm classed as a new driver as i havent driven since i passed my test
Cost me £500 for my first car, and £480 fully comp on insurance.
Original post by Donkey******
Cost me £500 for my first car, and £480 fully comp on insurance.

What car is that and generally do you know of particular cars that are renowned for being both cheap to buy and insure for first time drivers :smile:
Reply 6
Passed 2 months ago...Car cost £1200, insurance £2.8k per year - Mini One
Reply 7
VW Golf cost me £1250 and insurance was about £1400
Now have a BMW 530D that cost me £1150 and is a little under £900 to insure
Original post by futuremedic19
What car is that and generally do you know of particular cars that are renowned for being both cheap to buy and insure for first time drivers :smile:

That was a P reg fiat punto, whoever my insurance was with were doing 2 months free which made it a bit easier on the wallet.
Original post by jamesthehustler
does being chauffeured count
if yes, then £30,500 and that covers me until June
or
if no then I don't drive at the moment

You're paying a chauffeur £30.5k for 9 months?! Isn't that significantly more expensive than just insuring the bloody thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaymarriott
You're paying a chauffeur £30.5k for 9 months?! Isn't that significantly more expensive than just insuring the bloody thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no that covers buying the car and insurance for him to drive it
he actually gets £14,000
6k for car nd 1200 for insurance 17 yr old on parents with no black blox
700 for the car, about a grand for the insurance.
Paid about £1500 for insurance, first car was on lease though (an S3).
Reply 14
£653 for first insurance as an additional driver
In 1969 I put in 10$ and my buddy put in 10$ and he bought a 1953 chevy for 20$ from a neighbor. We decided it needed painting so as my buddy poured green paint on it out of a can, I spread it around using a house broom and we drove it to high school for a year until it finally gave out. Not sure if we had insurance on it but that would have cost maybe 15-20$ a month for basic coverage. Maybe less.
I drive a Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetec, insurance is £1100 got it lowered by having a dash cam :smile:
Reply 17
Passed last March when I was 17 and paid 5 grand for the car and just over 2 grand for the insurance 😐🔫
Original post by futuremedic19
I just wanted to get a rough estimate of how expensive it is to drive for newly passed drivers.

I know it varies a lot and depends on many factors but roughly how cheap can you find a second hand car and get it insured for a 20yr old male. Also do all insurance companies allow you to pay monthly or do they want annual payments.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Most insurance companies (at least all the ones ive come across anyway) allow you to pay monthly. It does cost more though.

This was 6 years ago- my first car was a fiat punto and i paid £1060 fully comp.
£6000 car (new Hyundai i10) and around £700 insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest