The Student Room Group

£100000 is only £65000 after taxes

Scroll to see replies

Not enough. If you want to use the country, its people and services for financial gain then be prepared to pay.
Original post by Ladbants
Why should non-wealthy people only pay 20% then? It's just unfair to people who have worked hard.

Just because you earn 100 000 doesn't mean you work harder than someone who earns 20 000, just saying.
So £65,000 isnt enough for you?

You know what I could do with £65,000 a year? You know how happy that would make me?

Bloody hell, people love complaining. You'd be making so so much more money than most people could ever dream of making and still you'd want more. I'd put in any amount of effort to earn that much but it's probably never gonna happen for me.

So what exactly is this hard work you speak of? Sitting in a comfy office typing stuff into a computer and firing people when theyre not making you enough money? Try working in a physical labour job. Some of the guys I've worked with in my current job are only in their 40's and they struggle to sit down to rest the work takes that much out of them. Coming in at 2am to feed their families. And they're on minimum wage. But no, my heart bleeds for the poor rich people who have to wait a little while longer before they can buy their Lamborghini. Must be so difficult. :frown:

Why don't you learn to appreciate what you do have?
wtf man
Original post by FightToWin

You know what I could do with £65,000 a year? You know how happy that would make me?

Bloody hell, people love complaining. You'd be making so so much more money than most people could ever dream of making and still you'd want more. I'd put in any amount of effort to earn that much but it's probably never gonna happen for me.

So what exactly is this hard work you speak of? Sitting in a comfy office typing stuff into a computer and firing people when theyre not making you enough money? Try working in a physical labour job. Some of the guys I've worked with in my current job are only in their 40's and they struggle to sit down to rest the work takes that much out of them. Coming in at 2am to feed their families. And they're on minimum wage. But no, my heart bleeds for the poor rich people who have to wait a little while longer before they can buy their Lamborghini. Must be so difficult. :frown:

Because that's not how someone succeeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Firstly thats why you cook the books as much as you possibly can.

Secondly you're forgetting Rates, VAT, Stamp so on so forth. Let us face it, we're lucky to see a penny of it stay with us in the long run.
Original post by Princepieman
Because that's now how someone succeeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lack of appreciation for what one has is not a necessary condition for success.
Original post by Subrogation
A lack of appreciation for what one has is not a necessary condition for success.

True, but complacency is a very real phenomenon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you earn £100000 a year

Sure, someone might earn £100,000 per year now they're working. But no one springs out of the womb earning 100 grand, do they?

What paid for them to be born without charges? What paid for their education? The policing of their communities to allow them to go to school in peace? What will pay for them if they're sick and can't work anymore? What will pay for their insane medical bills when they get older and can't work? What will pay for their pension?

The fact is educated, healthy employees don't just spring out of nowhere, they are grown. Grown off the sweat of the people that come before them and the people that come after them. When you pay for your taxes, you're paying for the education of the people who will grow up to fund your pension and you're paying for the pension of the people that funded your health, education and stability whilst you were growing up.

Now, one might argue about the top rate of tax being too high, maybe they should keep £75,000, maybe they should keep £55,000 but, in general, the principle of taxation is one of investment in future generation and protection for past ones.

SS
Reply 29
Yeah this is nothing new. and despite the massive bite they take out of our paycheck we still have sh*tty schools and a sh*tty NHS service and police force. seriously - what IS our money going towards?
Original post by Princepieman
True, but complacency is a very real phenomenon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. But let's not conflate that with appreciation.
If you earn £100000 a year, your take-home pay is only £65467 after income tax and national insurance. So you literally lose more than a third of your income to the government. Surely this is really unfair to those who have worked really hard. I would much prefer it if everyone just paid 20% of their income in tax

well you have found taxes how much do I pay I don't even know I just send it to the accountant and well so far I have had £120,000 back so allowing for taxes I've earned £188,000 give or take (allowing for the £1000 a month bill)
Original post by Supersaps
Sure, someone might earn £100,000 per year now they're working. But no one springs out of the womb earning 100 grand, do they?

What paid for them to be born without charges? What paid for their education? The policing of their communities to allow them to go to school in peace? What will pay for them if they're sick and can't work anymore? What will pay for their insane medical bills when they get older and can't work? What will pay for their pension?

The fact is educated, healthy employees don't just spring out of nowhere, they are grown. Grown off the sweat of the people that come before them and the people that come after them. When you pay for your taxes, you're paying for the education of the people who will grow up to fund your pension and you're paying for the pension of the people that funded your health, education and stability whilst you were growing up.

Now, one might argue about the top rate of tax being too high, maybe they should keep £75,000, maybe they should keep £55,000 but, in general, the principle of taxation is one of investment in future generation and protection for past ones.

SS

I swear I actually had the chords of Hallelujah ringing in my head when I read this post.
Original post by FightToWin

I'm not saying you dont work hard but chances are they probably worked harder to get to that job than you did yours. Nobody comes in at 2am thats utter *******s as well.
Original post by not_lucas1
I'm not saying you dont work hard but chances are they probably worked harder to get to that job than you did yours. Nobody comes in at 2am thats utter *******s as well.

You're totally wrong that nobody comes home from work at 2am. As a matter of fact, many high and low income earners do exactly that.
Reply 35
The problem is that hard work and income are not directly correlated. There are people who work very hard for many hours most days to earn like £15,000 a year. So the fairness argument doesn't really hold up. Economy is about supply and demand, and it necessarily disadvantages people who work hard but aren't so in demand. Taxes help balance things a little.
Original post by Subrogation
You're totally wrong that nobody comes home from work at 2am. As a matter of fact, many high and low income earners do exactly that.

Shift workers maybe but if someone does its their choice of overtime which they are being paid for, not forced to work until then
Reply 37
Another one: if you earn £400000, your take home pay is actually only £222000.
Reply 38
Another one: if you earn £400000, your take home pay is actually only £222000.

lolwat

notsureifsrs
Original post by not_lucas1

To get the job, yes, you're absolutely right. Working a ton of crappy minimum wage jobs to get that experience. So i wouldn't be complaining when I finally got a job that allowed me to take home £65000 a year, is what I'm saying. If you still need to complain then then you've allowed yourself to be possessed by money and forgotten how to live life.

And we legit start work at 2am on some shifts. I work in an airport where flights can go out at 5am and passengers can check in up to 3 hours before departure. Someone's gotta be there. More flights go out at 6-8am than any other time of day so most of us will come in at about 2am-6am. Not complete *******s at all.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending