The Student Room Group

What are the best A-Levels to take for a degree in engineering?

I am going to be taking maths, further maths and physics at college, and I do not want to carry on chemistry at A-Level, what other subject would be the best to choose for engineering in the future?
Reply 1
Original post by NyallJ
I am going to be taking maths, further maths and physics at college, and I do not want to carry on chemistry at A-Level, what other subject would be the best to choose for engineering in the future?

I guess Computing.... But with maths, further maths and physics you honestly wouldn't need a forth subject for engineering.
Original post by NyallJ

Those are fine? No point in adding anymore unless it's just out of interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Vyres
I guess Computing.... But with maths, further maths and physics you honestly wouldn't need a forth subject for engineering.

Alright, thanks for the reply
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not completely sure that's accurate. Check with the universities - email them if they don't specify in the entry requirements to double check. I think Oxbridge sees Maths and FM as the equivalent of one subject (so they ask for four a levels for some degrees)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those subjects sound fine! I do Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Electronics (my college counts maths and further maths as one subject, so I have to take an additional one).
Original post by SunnysideSea
I'm not completely sure that's accurate. Check with the universities - email them if they don't specify in the entry requirements to double check. I think Oxbridge sees Maths and FM as the equivalent of one subject (so they ask for four a levels for some degrees)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford sees them as distinct subjects, so does Cambridge, don't know where you're getting your info from. And no, there are no Oxbridge courses that ask for 4 a levels ahahaha.

You're maybe thinking of LSE? Idk? OP's course combo is sufficient for pretty much all engineering courses in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SunnysideSea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which degrees ask for four A levels?
Oxford sees them as distinct subjects, so does Cambridge, don't know where you're getting your info from. And no, there are no Oxbridge courses that ask for 4 a levels ahahaha.

You're maybe thinking of LSE? Idk? OP's course combo is sufficient for pretty much all engineering courses in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, sorry, you're right. I was a little confused because most people at my school doing FM did 5 AS levels and 4 A levels, but they may well have been a minority. I should get myself back to the humanities forum:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NyallJ

Do whatever you enjoy. Chemistry is naturally the fourth best option, but it's far from vital.
You've already got the big three!
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Do whatever you enjoy. Chemistry is naturally the fourth best option, but it's far from vital.
You've already got the big three!

I agree.
Maybe do ICT or something for your 4th?
Original post by NyallJ

What type of engineering do you want to do?
Reply 13
Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't really thought about what specific type yet to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest