The Student Room Group

Do you have to do Chemistry A Level to do Medicine?

I want to do Medicine at uni but I heard that you need to take Chemistry as an A Level. I'm not good at Chemistry so there is no point taking it and getting a D in it when I can take Maths instead and get an A. So would I be able to do Medicine at uni with Biology and Maths as my sciences?
No. It is an essential a level required by medical schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could always do what you want + do medical work experience whilst doing another course at university, then apply for Graduate Entry. But even then there isn't many medical schools that take students without a good grade in A2 Chemistry.
Reply 3
You could do a foundation year or graduate entry to medicine if you really aren't that good at/dislike chemistry, but to be honest if you don't want to take chemistry you may be better off rethinking what you want to do.
Lots of TSR advice/info on Applying for Medicine here - including subjects/grades required - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Chemistry is essential. Its actually far more important that having Biology.
Medical schools ask for Chem. Some will even let u not do bio but u need Chem.

However, there are some foundation courses where I don't think u need Chem but I'm not sure what the other requirements are for foundation courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yagami Lightuh
I want to do Medicine at uni but I heard that you need to take Chemistry as an A Level. I'm not good at Chemistry so there is no point taking it and getting a D in it when I can take Maths instead and get an A. So would I be able to do Medicine at uni with Biology and Maths as my sciences?

Unfortunately you do need it.

The good news however is that there is no pure chemistry on the course. It's just a (pointless) entry requirement. So if you can work very hard at it, get an A, and get into medical school, you can then forget about it forever.
Just do chemistry and if you have to, get a paid tutor.
Reply 8
Just do it, there will be subjects in medicine you won't like as well so its good training to overcome things you find difficult.
Reply 9
Medicine ends up relying a lot more on Chemistry A level than Bio A level...you've got two options here I'm afraid. Git gud at Chemistry, or rethink medicine all together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending