The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweeneyrod
Mag-dahl-en-ay obviously.

Nah it rhymes with windolene

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
The question is, do u know how to pronounce Magdalene?

What's a Magdalene?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What's a Magdalene?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You guys know nothing.

It's Mathalooney.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's a Magdalene?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think its an old ritual the cannibals at girton do before they do their black magic or something
Original post by Krollo
I had a dream last night where I was in a mad panic on my first day and ended up accidentally buying a sleeping bag instead of a gown. I was so embarrassed that I hid in an underground toilet.

Stupid brain. Nightmares both before and after results day

Ryder & Amies online order put your mind at rest! :tongue:
Original post by Mathemagicien

That's my college, but I sometimes get it confused with Magdalen college, which AFAIK is pronounced properly

Both with same pronunciation, just different spellings.
Of course, the other place got it wrong. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Important Cambridge q, answer will improve my quality of life there:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul

so u have proper cooking facilities then?

My daughter took one medium sized frying pan, two saucepans (one small, one medium/large=big enough to cook pasta in) and basic utensils, like ladle, spatula, etc, a cheap set of chopping boards (small & large), a colander. And lots of plastic kitchen clips, which is very useful for lots of things.
She didn't cook very much in the first year but did more in second/third year. Bought a second-hand wok from someone graduating in the second year which expanded the range of meals she could cook. And bought a large lid for it so that she could cook large amount of food like casserole to share with friends.
Also She got a toasted sandwich/panini maker for Christmas in the second year which saved her a lot of money from buying panini for lunch from her college's cafe.
Her Japanese friend came with a rice cooker.
But you'll need to register electric cooking equipments with the college/porter and get a sticker to show its properly approved to use if you're bringing any.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yeah, I think newnham has nice kitchen and stuff compared to most other colleges iirc

Kitchen (gyp) facility for first years is very basic in any college.
It's usually with a few hobs (often no oven), a microwave and a kettle, and perhaps a toaster.
And 'frying' is not permitted in any college, though how they/you define 'frying' seems to vary from college to college and/or who you're talking too. (Shallow/deep frying)
Original post by vincrows
It's usually with a few hobs (often no oven), a microwave and a kettle, and perhaps a toaster.
And 'frying' is not permitted in any college, though how they/you define 'frying' seems to vary from college to college and/or who you're talking too. (Shallow/deep frying)

So they have hobs, but officially you can't fry an egg or make some vegetable stir fry...
Original post by EricPiphany
So they have hobs, but officially you can't fry an egg or make some vegetable stir fry...

That's where how to 'define' frying comes into.
My interpretation is something like that SHOULD be ok, as long was there's not too much oil in a pan that can spill and burn you (or damage the kitchen) or cause a fire.
But someone in TSR from some college (can't remember who or which college)? told me that's not even allowed in their college. Thought it's very weird.......
My daughter and all her friends in her college and some other colleges were doing lots of cooking that involves stir-frying or sautée-ing and they were alright with it. Just no deep-frying.
Original post by vincrows

So basically.
You can make beans and nothing else.
Thabks cambridge u weirdos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So basically.
You can make beans and nothing else.
Thabks cambridge u weirdos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See my post above.
As far as I'm aware, all the people I know who have coked at Cambridge did use oil in cooking when it's needed.
It's only this person on TSR told me some months ago that that is not allowed in his (hers? Can't even remember which) college that it made me wonder if some college might be overly-strict (and realistic) with their rule. I did asked the person a few times if he/she was sure as I couldn't believe it, and he/she was quite adamant he/she was.
The conversation was done somewhere in this forum, so you can look for if you want to kill the time until the welcome pack arrives from Homerton! :wink:

Edit:
I still think (and Hope) it was that person's misinterpretation of the rule, though you never know......
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I think newnham has nice kitchen and stuff compared to most other colleges iirc

In Newnham, it's very variable. There are some excellent facilities, but not all of them are excellent.

Nautically, port is on the left and starboard on the right. So you pass port to the left (clockwise).

Brandy, on the other hand, should be drunk using your right hand, and putting your left hand in a salute.

And bring pennies. Lots of pennies.
Original post by jneill
Nautically, port is on the left and starboard on the right. So you pass port to the left (clockwise).

Brandy, on the other hand, should be drunk using your right hand, and putting your left hand in a salute.

Though there're some colleges that have banned pennying at formal in recent years. :wink:
So if you have a invisible penny that can't be seen by waiting staff, that'd be very useful. :biggrin:
Original post by jneill

Oh well, I learnt something new today...
Original post by EricPiphany
Oh well, I learnt something new today...

Check if your college still allows it before you build up a mountain of pennies......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending