The Student Room Group

Very annoyed at student finance

Student finance have lost my birth certificate in the post....
Reply 1
Did they receive it or claim that it was lost in the post? If you sent it 1st class and have your receipt then you should contact post office as 1st class mail is insured. If SFE sent it back and lost and it was not 1st class then...try to contact them. Hopefully this will not happen with my passport.
Yep, they did the same to me. When I sent it to them, they requested I send it recorded delivery, so I did that. That was the last I saw of it. It cost me to get a new one. They're a bunch of numpties.
That's really unfortunate :/ You should make them pay for your new one.
Reply 4
Original post by Seamus123
Yep, they did the same to me. When I sent it to them, they requested I send it recorded delivery, so I did that. That was the last I saw of it. It cost me to get a new one. They're a bunch of numpties.

But I needed to take it to uni to register
I don't have a valid passport
You are not supposed to send original documents to anyone because you aren't likely to get them back. You should have sent a copy of your birth certificate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had to send to Ireland for mine and I didn't want to send the original, but they insisted.
Reply 7
What you should have done is photocopied them and then taken the photocopies to the post office to get them certified. They will accept the certified copies regardless of what the idiot on the phone says. The only thing is that you can't certify a copy of your birth certificate because it is a certified copy itself.
Reply 8
Original post by loooopppyyy
They don't accept scanned copies, it has to be the original documentation (I asked over the phone if scanned is fine).

One can freely request further, official copies of one's birth-certificate: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
Reply 9
Original post by samzy21
You are not supposed to send original documents to anyone because you aren't likely to get them back. You should have sent a copy of your birth certificate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said they needed an original
Reply 10
Original post by Profesh
One can freely request official copies of one's birth-certificate: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

Quite how this information eluded the OP is anyone's guess.

I just ordered one now and I have to pay £30
I had to knock £37 out of my pension for a replacement. I was not happy.
£37 is a lot for some people (more than my disposable income per month after bills/food/child maintenance), so your humour really isn't funny or appreciated :smile:

I AM a pensioner,. I am 68 and also legal guardian to one of my grandchildren, and £37 is a great deal of money to us.
Haha so sorry, I thought you was maybe a young student and it was an attempt at sarcasm. :colondollar:

No worries. It's not an unusual response.
I was in the library at uni the other day and went to the loo and someone came in as I was leaving and wanted to know why there was no loo roll and was I the cleaner? My response is unprintable even for TSR!
Reply 14
Wait, was it student finance who lost it or the post? After all, SF has no control over the Royal Mail. Did they not receive it or did you not get it back after they mailed it?
Reply 15
Original post by Nadile
Wait, was it student finance who lost it or the post? After all, SF has no control over the Royal Mail. Did they not receive it or did you not get it back after they mailed it?

Well it was the post but student finance should have send it in a special delivery because that was how I sent it to them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending