The Student Room Group

Thinking of switching politics to sociology!

Hey, I'm about to start my a-levels and have lost my passion for politics since the summer holidays have started. I have looked up a-level sociology at my sixth form (brockenhurst) and am seriously considering switching to that. Any advice on sociology?
Thanks x
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by turner.c09
Hey, I'm about to start my a-levels and have lost my passion for politics since the summer holidays have started. I have looked up a-level sociology at my sixth form (brockenhurst) and am seriously considering switching to that. Any advice on sociology?
Thanks x

I haven't started A-levels yet so I can't tell you what either are subjects are like, but if you think you'll enjoy sociology more then do it! :smile: You're going to do a lot better in a subject that you're actually interested in and that you'll enjoy revising.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by trabajadora
I haven't started A-levels yet so I can't tell you what either are subjects are like, but if you think you'll enjoy sociology more then do it! :smile: You're going to do a lot better in a subject that you're actually interested in and that you'll enjoy revising.

Good luck!

Thank you! I'm going to change it, I really don't want to be stuck in a lesson every day that I'm not passionate about, especially as some people will be! Xx
I did sociology, I loved it!! You're going to enjoy it, you just have to work hard and put your head down. You can get a grade C easily without revising but you can definitely get an A if you did revise! I would recommend you do sociology if you don't enjoy politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by turner.c09
Thanks x

Hi! I took a level sociology for 2 years and I just recently got an A* in my a levels. And for anybody at TSR for telling sociology is going to be in a walk in the park THEY ARE WRONG. Firstly, the content is really interesting and not hard to grasp on your first year so AS but the exam technique you master is HARD , it is not that hard to get a C grade...... But it depends what grade you want to achieve? An A* in a2 sociology is literally so much bloody hard work, but like any subject it is achievable.

Only take sociology if you LOVE essay writing.
There are some political overlaps, and u do still need to keep up with current affairs so you can use them as contemporary examples.

You must still be interested in politics to be honest (but obviously it is dependent on the grade you want) eh with no contemporary examples you could probably achieve a grade B which is still very good

Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest