The Student Room Group

Getting no where at the gym.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Sexathlete
Whilst I agree the silly girl workouts are total BS, most people have given reasonable advice concerning eating more, going on stronglifts 5x5 and using compound lifts. I feel every weightlifting community is full of these weird pseudo-autists who yell at noobs to go to the FAQ. You might as well shut down the lifting forum if that's how it's going to be.

If someone asks a single question, or a few well informed questions then yeah answering them is great. But when there are so many questions and implicit misunderstandings that could be cleared up by simply reading a document that already exists, the most sensible thing to do is to refer them there tbh.

I think the value of lifting forums would be improved if people who make posts like these read the sticky first.
Original post by Implication
If someone asks a single question, or a few well informed questions then yeah answering them is great. But when there are so many questions and implicit misunderstandings that could be cleared up by simply reading a document that already exists, the most sensible thing to do is to refer them there tbh.

I think the value of lifting forums would be improved if people who make posts like these read the sticky first.

It's only one weightlifting boards where this is made into an issue, kids on TSR ask all sorts of stupid questions about relationships and revision techniques yet nobody tells them to read the FAQ. I don't see the point in having a forum if it's only going to be some introvert posting his lifting blog each session (which is aspie af)
It's only one weightlifting boards where this is made into an issue, kids on TSR ask all sorts of stupid questions about relationships and revision techniques yet nobody tells them to read the FAQ. I don't see the point in having a forum if it's only going to be some introvert posting his lifting blog each session (which is aspie af)

I kind of get your point somewhat but I think you're being a little melodramatic. Sometimes people are needlessly mean and/or rude when referring someone to the FAQ, and I don't think that's a good thing. But what's the alternative here? If I want to contribute something useful to such a thread, for the most part all I'll be doing is paraphrasing parts of the FAQ - why not simply refer people there in the first place? That's what it's for, after all. If there were a document that answered all those frequently asked questions about revision techniques and relationships, then it would be perfectly reasonable to do the same thing in those forums too.

As I say, I think you're being a bit melodramatic. The forum isn't magically going to become 100% lifting blogs because threads consisting of frequently asked questions are referred to the answers to those frequently asked questions. Besides, there's a whole subforum for lifting blogs here anyway. Maybe you've hit a nerve, but I think it's (a) laughably ignorant to assume blogging = introverted 'aspie', and (b) offensive and insensitive to talk about 'autism', and 'aspies' like that in the first place! Why the chip on your shoulder?

Using a disability as an insult. Strong argument is strong that you have to reach that low

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=The Sexathlete;67153560]It's only one weightlifting boards where this is made into an issue, kids on TSR ask all sorts of stupid questions about relationships and revision techniques yet nobody tells them to read the FAQ. I don't see the point in having a forum if it's only going to be some introvert posting his lifting blog each session (which is aspie af)

Wow. Such an abhorrent comment.

Maybe if you read some of the blogs by the longer-term members you'd learn something.

I actually agree that 'FAQ' is said too much.

However... In this case:

The guy knows nothing. No idea on diet. No idea on training. Nothing.

If he read the FAQ it would answer loads of things for him and then he could start a thread asking on specifics..

Like 'which routine is best for my goals?... I've had a look online and seen 3 beginner programmes, which is best?'

That kind of thread would be taken seriously.

People can ask loads of things, on: types of exercises, form, nutrition, how to keep consistent, goals etc etc and they'll get a response.

Nobody is forcing anyone to make a blog.

If you know nothing, posting a thread like this will lead to a bunch of people who know very little but who think they know a lot, posting half truths (at best).

Pages and pages of nonsense is written and the OP either has no idea or sets off on his merry way destined to fail.

TL;DR - OP read the FAQ bro
(edited 7 years ago)
Do rippetoes SS until you can squat 130kg, bench 100kg and deadlift 160kg
Original post by MrKmas508
Hey, I've been going to the gym for a month now and I've seen some physical improvement but not much. I'm trying to gain muscle so I've been using several of the machines (Leg curler,Pulley,abdominal ,pullover, Black robe) as well as 2 free weights ( Biceps exercises (21s) and bar push up). I've improved the amount I can lift by 20kg in some exercises but I feel like I should be doing more. I go 3 times a week (I also swim) and do 3 sets of 10 reps for every exercise. How can I do more. Also how do I shift belly fat while gaining muscle.

Firstly, make a schedule. If you go three days a week, a good schedule is Push/Pull/Legs (four/five days would be much better though!). For example:
Monday - Push (Chest, Triceps, Shoulders)
Wednesday - Pull (Back, Biceps, Forearms)
Saturday - Legs (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves)
Don't forget to slip in abs on one or two of those days too

For each muscle, do two to three exercises. Focus on heavy compound ones first, such as Bench press for push day, barbell rows for pull day and squats for back day

Secondly, and in my opinion, more importantly, improve your nutrition! Muscles are made in the kitchen. Make sure to eat a lot of protein and to increase your calories so that you eat more calories than your body needs. This will ensure that the excess is used to make your muscles grow. My body would require around 2700 to maintain my current weight, so I eat 3200 so that I can grow but not so fast that my fat increases substantially
Good luck! :smile:
Swimming is heavy cardio.

They are stealing your gains

Quick Reply

Latest