The Student Room Group

How do you effectively take notes during university lectures?

I am starting university in September and I don't know anyone who has been to university so I'm honestly clueless about it all. How do I make notes to revise from effectively? What if I don't manage to write everything down from the board? What's the difference between lectures and seminars? I'm so confused, I just want to do as well as I can at uni!
Original post by danuuutka
I am starting university in September and I don't know anyone who has been to university so I'm honestly clueless about it all. How do I make notes to revise from effectively? What if I don't manage to write everything down from the board? What's the difference between lectures and seminars? I'm so confused, I just want to do as well as I can at uni!

If I were you i would record each lecture and then make notes from it later on the day so you can effectively take in the information there and then and not be worrying and distracted from the lecture at that present moment in time. I think that is what I am going to do anyway! :smile:
I don't.

Hello :smile:

No need to worry, they are common questions. You'll be surprised the kind of things that get asked about during university.

Literally, buy yourself some nice note books and pens, highlighters and such and during lectures - just take notes that you feel are important - usually, all lectures and seminars are on a PowerPoint which will get put in a shared location for you to access or you can simply email your lecturer with questions - they are literally there for you 24/7 and don't mind answering questions.

Don't panic yourself :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ

No need to worry, they are common questions. You'll be surprised the kind of things that get asked about during university.

Literally, buy yourself some nice note books and pens, highlighters and such and during lectures - just take notes that you feel are important - usually, all lectures and seminars are on a PowerPoint which will get put in a shared location for you to access or you can simply email your lecturer with questions - they are literally there for you 24/7 and don't mind answering questions.

thank you! that's calmed me down a lot!

Usually, lectures are just the basis of what you need to do, depending on what course you will be studying.

Most humanities courses the lecturer will either talk at you and you write what they say down or just write what's on their powerpoint. You don't need to write everything down, but it's good to write the important stuff down.

Making notes will depend on the person and how you revise personally. Some take a few key words or phrases from that specific lecture and research it more in your own time. Uni is a lot more independent and you'll have to a lot of your own research to understand the course in more detail.

Like humanities courses, you will have to read around your subject to get a better and deeper understanding of the topic.

Lectures are the ones that you'll sit with the whole cohort in the big hall/studio/lecture theatres and you'll just listen to the lecturer talk at you about whatever you'll be learning. This is your key moment to get some information.

Seminars are usually student-led group discussions in smaller groups where you get a chance to discuss, debate and write about what was discussed in the lecture before or after the lecture has taken place. It's where you get to be more open about discussion and focus points.

So incorrect. Lecturers have specified contact time and are not obligated to help or get back to students in their own time; hence why they have specific contact hours because outside their contact hours are usually their own time to catch up on their own research.
First tip: do not try to take down absolutely everything. It's not possible and it's a waste of time anyway. I can type up a full note taking guide for you if you want it, but it's pretty lengthy so I won't bother if you don't want a long post to read haha.

Original post by Felicity77
If I were you i would record each lecture and then make notes from it later on the day so you can effectively take in the information there and then and not be worrying and distracted from the lecture at that present moment in time. I think that is what I am going to do anyway! :smile:

Not all lecturers will allow you to record their lectures and if caught recording lectures without permission, you can be kicked out. Don't plan to rely on recordings if you haven't asked if you're even allowed to record them yet.

1. Not all lecturers will upload the presentation slides. Some lecturers don't believe in uploading them because they think withholding the slides will increase attendance. You can't rely on the slides being made available until you know for sure that they will be available.

2. That is entirely up to the individual lecturer. Some lecturers will answer emails at any time of day, others will only answer during working hours. They are people too remember, trying to juggle educating students, their own research and having families/lives. You can't expect them to be there 24/7. They deserve breaks, like anyone else.
Reply 8
Original post by GoingToBurst
First tip: do not try to take down absolutely everything. It's not possible and it's a waste of time anyway. I can type up a full note taking guide for you if you want it, but it's pretty lengthy so I won't bother if you don't want a long post to read haha.

Not all lecturers will allow you to record their lectures and if caught recording lectures without permission, you can be kicked out. Don't plan to rely on recordings if you haven't asked if you're even allowed to record them yet.

1. Not all lecturers will upload the presentation slides. Some lecturers don't believe in uploading them because they think withholding the slides will increase attendance. You can't rely on the slides being made available until you know for sure that they will be available.

2. That is entirely up to the individual lecturer. Some lecturers will answer emails at any time of day, others will only answer during working hours. They are people too remember, trying to juggle educating students, their own research and having families/lives. You can't expect them to be there 24/7. They deserve breaks, like anyone else.

Thank you so much for your help! I'd really appreciate the note taking guide if you wouldn't mind? Thanks a lot in advance
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
So incorrect. Lecturers have specified contact time and are not obligated to help or get back to students in their own time; hence why they have specific contact hours because outside their contact hours are usually their own time to catch up on their own research.

Original post by GoingToBurst

I apologise greatly for this 'incorrect' information. The information I provided was based on personal experience and friends experience from a handful of universities. All the lecturers we have come in contact with will reply around the clock - which is useful and the universities we attend always have the content uploaded to Blackboard unless it's a guest lecturer that has attended and then we can request for it to be added.

I apologise for the incorrect information - I was providing information based off of persona experience and that off friends. I didn't mean to lead anyone in the wrong direction with bad information.

Best of luck :smile:
Lecture: information giving (big groups of 50 -250)
Seminar: discussion and or exercises (smaller groups 5-20)

Write down the essential, devise your own system of shorthand, stay attentive so you can make decisions about what's important; if you're not sure write it down; augment your notes later with further reading; condense these notes for revision
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest