The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Uni, Engineering with integrated foundation year-interview

Scroll to see replies

I didn't apply for a foundation year. I've applied for electronic engineering.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Gladiator12345
What r u going on to do after the foundation year?

How did your interview go on the 2nd of December ii forgot to ask.

did they show u the accommodation & did they show you the main site of your potential undergrad subject building/department or only the foundation year studies building.

what conditional offer did you get i.e grades? how long did it take after the interview for them to show your grade offer on ucas?

have u heard from any other unis so far?
Hi all
Just wondering how many people made it into phase two(as Dr Nedwell called it) of the whole thing?
Original post by E-wingadingding
Hi all
Just wondering how many people made it into phase two(as Dr Nedwell called it) of the whole thing?

what is phase 2? Did you apply to the course? if so, when was your interview?
Hey guys I've got my interview on the 14th and I'm pretty nervous. What kind of things are covered on the test? How did the interview go?
Reply 65
Original post by Gladiator12345
Hi everyone hope ur all doin well. I applied for engineering with an integrated foundation year at UoM and i hope to go on to study chem eng. I was wondering who else has an interview on the 2nd December? And if anyone has already had it can they please tell me how the interview and test were like?
Thanks in advance and much appreciated

Hi, i have my foundation engineering interview at Manchester in 2 days!! How was your interview? Do you have any tips? I need all the help i can get!:redface:
Hey, I have got my interview in a few weeks and I don't really know what to expect. Does anyone know what sort of content the test will entail and also the sort of questions that will be asked during the interview? Please, any help/ tips/ would be very helpful!
Thank you in advance. :smile:
Hey, anyone on here who had their interview on the 21st? Just wondering how everyone did :smile:
Anyone here end up getting onto the course?

Trying to find people doing this on TSR is proving difficult!
Original post by philo-jitsu
Anyone here end up getting onto the course?

Trying to find people doing this on TSR is proving difficult!

It's not split into strictly mechanical engineering foundation year students.

People who are doing foundation for aerospace, chemical, civil, petroleum and electric engineering + materials are grouped together for engineering with an integrated foundation year. After the year you split up.

But for the record, I'm doing it. And there's a few more people I found on Facebook
Original post by stereoashhh
It's not split into strictly mechanical engineering foundation year students.

People who are doing foundation for aerospace, chemical, civil, petroleum and electric engineering + materials are grouped together for engineering with an integrated foundation year. After the year you split up.

But for the record, I'm doing it. And there's a few more people I found on Facebook

Ah, yeah sorry I'm actually wanting to progress to physics...This is still the same course though I think?

Really should get facebook, seems like most uni groups are on there.

Which accommodation you end up getting? I got Denmark Road which is great in terms of location to the uni but the foundation course takes place in the Sackville building I think, so its a bit more of a walk, still decent though.

Also are you like me and cocked up A levels, or are you coming from a different background?
Ah, yeah sorry I'm actually wanting to progress to physics...This is still the same course though I think?

Really should get facebook, seems like most uni groups are on there.

Which accommodation you end up getting? I got Denmark Road which is great in terms of location to the uni but the foundation course takes place in the Sackville building I think, so its a bit more of a walk, still decent though.

Also are you like me and cocked up A levels, or are you coming from a different background?

There's the foundation for engineering that includes all engineering disciplines+ materials

Then there's one for science for people progressing to science stuff + maths. I may have missed some stuff out but there's more info on their website.

And yeah there's a lot of groups. I'm also in a manchester group chat with 250 people now.

And another groupchat for my accomodation (richmond park) that must have around 100.

Personally, I just horribly messed up C3 and D1 so I got BBB so they offered me a foundation year. I may call on the last day of the month and ask if I can hopefully be moved to the regular course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stereoashhh
There's the foundation for engineering that includes all engineering disciplines+ materials

Then there's one for science for people progressing to science stuff + maths. I may have missed some stuff out but there's more info on their website.

And yeah there's a lot of groups. I'm also in a manchester group chat with 250 people now.

And another groupchat for my accomodation (richmond park) that must have around 100.

Personally, I just horribly messed up C3 and D1 so I got BBB so they offered me a foundation year. I may call on the last day of the month and ask if I can hopefully be moved to the regular course.

Ah right, thought it was the same course as I had heard if I fail to get the 80% to transfer to physics you can get on an engineering course which has a slightly lower boundary of entry.

Yeah I got BBB also, C4 got me though, exam pressure factors way more in maths in my opinion. Also bombing s1 last year made it a long shot of getting an A anyway....bloody stats! Plus being in a college which didn't cheat on ISA's did not help in the slightest.

Did you do AQA or Edexcel Maths? I did edexcel but I heard AQA core 3 was awful?
Ooh yay I'm not alone. I cocked up my A levels as well and ended up getting onto the foundation year course :smile:
Original post by penguinscanfly
Ooh yay I'm not alone. I cocked up my A levels as well and ended up getting onto the foundation year course :smile:

I think that's pretty much the consensus for everyone!

Which course are you wanting to progress onto?
I think that's pretty much the consensus for everyone!

Which course are you wanting to progress onto?

Electronic engineering hbu? I can't seem to find a lot of peeps on facebook doing this course.
Original post by penguinscanfly
Electronic engineering hbu? I can't seem to find a lot of peeps on facebook doing this course.

Dont have FB but it seems like thats the best place to find people, and im wanting to progress to physics

Why electrical engineering by the way? Job prospects or genuine interest? For whatever reason i really couldnt get interested in the electric side of physics during as levels...think its because its harder to actually visualise the concepts (potential difference etc)...will probably be more interesting when it goes into more depth
Dont have FB but it seems like thats the best place to find people, and im wanting to progress to physics

Why electrical engineering by the way? Job prospects or genuine interest? For whatever reason i really couldnt get interested in the electric side of physics during as levels...think its because its harder to actually visualise the concepts (potential difference etc)...will probably be more interesting when it goes into more depth

I was mainly when I did work experience a couple of years ago with a company and got really intrigued by the electrical and electronic engineering people and what they do. I understand what you mean by it being hard to visualise but I guess that's what I enjoy about it.

Oh and defo get FB. You'll find flatmates and freshers events and stuff there. Join this group if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/204060999928139/
sorry to revive this old thread but can anyone give me a vague idea how this whole process goes
Original post by lennyzoo
sorry to revive this old thread but can anyone give me a vague idea how this whole process goes

What school are you looking to progress onto....what's your educational background?

And when you say process....what do you mean? how the course is assessed and how you progress onto the following year?

I'm currently on the course but could do with more specific questions to give better answers :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending