The Student Room Group

The term "moderate Muslim"

Surely the fact we use the the term "moderate Muslim" to describe a Muslim who isn't a terrorist, is an admission that there is something inherently wrong with Islam? That they are "moderate", therefore not "extreme".

We don't use the term
To describe any other religion do we?
I've never heard someone say, "don't worry most Christians/Hindus/Jews are moderate in their belief".
Original post by MeYou2Night
Surely the fact we use the the term "moderate Muslim" to describe a Muslim who isn't a terrorist, is an admission that there is something inherently wrong with Islam? That they are "moderate", therefore not "extreme".

We don't use the term
I've never heard someone say, "don't worry most Christians/Hindus/Jews are moderate in their belief".

Who in fact uses is it muslims or non muslims?
If its some muslims, then perhaps they are bored of all being tarred with the same brush of being viewed as extremists and terrorists.

Extremists and radicals are very common phrases in the media, so its juts a counterbalance to differentiate themselves from that. The only admission is that some people cna become extremists as hey can in all religions and at far ends of the political spectrum.

We don't use the term

Surely we should use the term Muslim and not Muslim. I read an article today about how members of ISIS had planted bombs inside qurans in Iraq, or there are articles that show they've bombed mosques or done bombings and killings during Ramadan. Surely these things should tell you that they're not Muslim but psychopaths carrying out their action under the scapegoat of Islam. Believe me with psychopaths like that, even if Islam never existed, they would use some other ideology as an excuse for what they do

We don't use the term

Original post by BaconandSauce
even the term moderate is wrong

For example some would consider those who support sharia and the hudud punishments in a 'Muslim' country and not the UK a 'moderate'

Or those who in a 'muslim' country support the deth penalty for apostates but not in the UK as 'moderate'

for me it's no better then saying someone is a 'moderate nazi' akin to - you know they personally wouldn't support killing Jews in their own countries but do support this in others

In my opinion very accurate statements
Reply 4
I think it's simply because there is not so much of a prevalence of 'radical Christians' as 'radical Muslims'. The media narrative behind the latter concept perhaps necessitates the 'moderate' prefix.

It is quite sad that the default assumption is that a muslim isn't 'moderate', and thus that label is needed to clarify the acceptability of their very identity.
This topic has always intrigued me. So let's analogise.

If someone goes out and gets shitfaced, they're pissed.

But if they're not pissed, they're said to be "drinking moderately".

Regardless, alcohol is the prime cause for whatever state of intoxication you enter. So it's interesting to see how the same people who'd blame alcohol for getting pissed (and they're not entirely wrong; cause and effect, y'know?) are unwilling to blame Islamic ideology for those who don't take their drug (in this case, organised religion) in moderation.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Surely we should use the term Muslim and not Muslim. I read an article today about how members of ISIS had planted bombs inside qurans in Iraq, or there are articles that show they've bombed mosques or done bombings and killings during Ramadan. Surely these things should tell you that they're not Muslim but psychopaths carrying out their action under the scapegoat of Islam. Believe me with psychopaths like that, even if Islam never existed, they would use some other ideology as an excuse for what they do

Except that Isis dont actually think they're attacking other muslims.Isis dont regard the people they're attacking as true muslims.And a lot of muslims dont regard Isis as true muslims.The problem is that neither are really correct.There are teachings in the quran that can justify both their interpretations.So its impossible to say definitively whos in the wrong.
Original post by Robby2312
Except that Isis dont actually think they're attacking other muslims.Isis dont regard the people they're attacking as true muslims.And a lot of muslims dont regard Isis as true muslims.The problem is that neither are really correct.There are teachings in the quran that can justify both their interpretations.So its impossible to say definitively whos in the wrong.

Precisely.

Quick Reply

Latest